Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Harmless
Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmless ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Index File Manager applet

* Applet updated, improved reading of Index.db.
----------------------------

Here's an applet that helps manage Kindle index files. You can:
• Produce a list of books and their associated index files.
• Search for a book and optionally delete its index file from the Kindle.
• Delete multiple index files from the Kindle.

This is useful when an index file gets out of step with its book, which can happen if you replace the book with a slightly different version. This was happening to me when I was formatting Project Gutenberg books with a word processor, and re-loading the books into the Kindle multiple times as I improved the formatting.

This applet provides a better option to deleting everything in the Search Indexes folder, causing the Kindle to re-index the entire library which can take ages depending on the number of books.

The applet works by making a text copy of the Kindle's Index.db, then massaging the text file. It was created using AutoHotkey.

Notes:
• It's been tested on my two Kindles: Paperwhite (340 books) and Keyboard (8 books).
• It's been tested in Windows 7 x32 and x64.
• I can see no way that it could harm your Kindle, but I can't guarantee it.
- It only reads Index.db in order to make a text copy, it doesn't modify, move or delete it.
- Even if the wrong index files got deleted, the Kindle just re-creates them.
• The text copy of Index.db contains some artifacts (high value ASCII characters).
- This is a consequence of making a simple text copy of a binary file.
- The applet attempts to remove these artifacts, successfully for my two test Kindles.
• The output list includes some validation entries at the bottom.
• If the validation reports that an index file exists in the folder but isn't in the database, it could be:
- It's a redundant index file, cause unknown,
- Or the applet failed to read a record successfully, possibly due to the artifacts mentioned above.
- Either way, you could delete the index file and allow the Kindle to re-create it if it wants to.

I'll be interested to hear how well it works for other people.
Admins, please move this post if I've put it in the wrong forum, thanks.
David.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleIndexFileManager v1.1.zip (379.8 KB, 790 views)

Last edited by Harmless; 02-21-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kindle tools