Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
kool
kool began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500; iPad; K3
iPad's PDF app that supports Dictionary lookup

I use dictionary quite extensively while reading and really like the dictionary function in ibook. Does any one know whether similar dictionary functionality would be available in any PDF viewer application, i.e. access the dictionary lookup function while reading a book by double tapping the word.
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i believe that functionality is reserved for first party (applications) only. i thought i read somewhere apple hasn't released the api's for that functionality for developers. might be a licensing issue with whoever's dictionary they are using, might be they want to use it as a competitive advantage. it is available in both iBooks and Pages.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
acdana
KindleGirl
acdana began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Read pdf's with Stanza and use dictionaries

stanza now can read pdfs and has a great dictionary feature. YOu can even add dictionaries.
acdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that the forthcoming iBooks upgrade, which adds PDF support, will permit dictionary lookup.

A workaround is to install a separate dictionary app and switch to that when you want to look up a word.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Sadly the current version of iBooks doesn't support dictionary lookup in PDFs.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
ipadpdfreader
ipadpdfreader began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
I have been using iTranslate Reader Pro, which can use the built in dictionary for your native language and also look up foreign words with online dictionaries, all through a single finger tap.
ipadpdfreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
I recently found a quite good app named PDF Max & now stick with it. It does provide you dictionary look up function for PDFs, but the feature I like most is iCloud sync in Free Version. The Pro Version has some advanced features, but it is $9.99 though, not a good price for me.

Edit: Wow I'm sorry. It seems like this thread has been existed for quite a long time (since 2010). Hope you guys has found your own solution at the moment.

Last edited by rlowe; 10-22-2012 at 10:20 AM.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
GoodReader offers dictionary lookup, as well as Google and Wikipedia. Select a word, then touch the magnifying glass icon.

With no word selected, the magnifying glass performs a search in the current document.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The iBook software has now released dictionary look up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote