Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
osp
osp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle WiFi connection to SoftAP wo www access

Hi all,

my friends from paragliding school asked me, if it's possible to create application for Kindle 3 which will serve as pilot errors registration form.
At the time they use notebook, but it's power hungry and Kindle is ideal, cheap, so called perfect solution...

I decided to create thin client app and connect Kindle to some small server.
Small netbook is running APache+MysSQL+PHP (AMP bookserver ) + application and act as SoftAP AccessPoint. On Kindle we use experimental but working browser and everything works fine, when kindle and AMP netbook are connected to the same WiFi network with internet connection.

When I turn my notebook/netbook to SoftAP on Windows7 and internet connection is broken (as on hills really is), Kindle is not able to connect to SoftAP machine. I tested iPad, it works perfectly. On Kindle I see the AP, it correctly recognizes security method, but after 20-30secs it pops up it's not possible to connect to internet. Tried DHCP as like as Static address to setup in Kindle...

Do you have any ideas why Kindle checks internet connectivity and if there's a workaround or a hack? In the worst case I'll have to build kindlet, but if there will be possibility to connect to wifi softAP only with jailbreak and some hack, it would be much more acceptable.

I tested WPA, WPA, Nosecurity, notebook WiFi as like as external Ovislink250 USB adaptor, on iPad it work seamlessly. No success on Kindle.

Works only if I setup ICS over SoftAP and client adaptor (that's why I suppose kindle checks global network connectivity somehow).

Thanks a lot.
osp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
deoxyrib
deoxyrib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (wifi)
trying to access amazon

Hey, Sounds like you may be having the issue described here:

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/kind...ork-Connection

Quote:
Network Connection (posted 2011-01-02)

The kindle often complains that it cannot connect to a WiFi network, but what this really means is that it cannot connect to amazon.com, and this blocks the browser even if local connectivity is available.

To make the system believe that the network is reachable (and let the browser work), you can issue the following command:

dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.wifid.cmConnected
and you will see the [Wi-Fi] icon turn on.

Unfortunately you need to do it every minute or so, because the daemon in charge of connectivity (wifid or probably the 3G equivalent as well) periodically tries to refresh the address and connect to amazon, and on failure it issues a
dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.wifid.cmNotconnected
event which blocks the browser again.
While not a full solution, should help you allong
deoxyrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
browser, ics, kindle, softap, wifi