Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
"I hate my iPad"

http://www.slate.com/id/2285434/

yep. I'm pretty much in agreement.
he doesn't mention actual book reading but I think it fails there too.
Like him, I would like to know how I'm wrong.

*I hope this is in the right section.*
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I can see why you wouldn't feel the need for an iPad, if you already have a kindle, iphone, netbook and such... But *hate*?

I like my iPad. I don't use it as much since I got my iPhone 4, but I still use it plenty.

There's nothing like an iPad to read comics, PDFs (guides, magazines and such). All my RSS feeds on google reader can be easily read on an iPad.

Plus, it has a couple of entertaining games.

Also, I can watch football while my fiancé happily reads her emails, web surfes a little and play Treasures of Montezuma (an incredibly addictive game) on the iPad.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, if you want to give me your iPad, I'll happily take it off your hands and then you can stop hating it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Different strokes for different folks. At the moment I actually prefer reading on my iPad rather than the Kindle DX. Mines a WiFi only, but my needs are pretty much met with the tablet.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
I wonder why and what you hate.I personally find the iPad the coolest gadget I've seen in a long while.Besides I believe it will enjoy better support compared, for instance with Kindle,where the only support is "buy a new one."
valentin bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Different strokes for different folks, I guess :-) I love my iPad and find it indispensable--- not for reading, per se, but at work. But I have some very specific uses for it and some situations that don't apply to everyone. I have tried netbooks and other devices and they just don't work for me as smoothly/ easily as the iPad has. The fact that this guy does not like his does not mean anything to me. It may nor be fir everyone, but it works for me.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
http://www.slate.com/id/2285434/

yep. I'm pretty much in agreement.
he doesn't mention actual book reading but I think it fails there too.
Like him, I would like to know how I'm wrong.

*I hope this is in the right section.*
bZ:

Bummer the iPad is not for you but also nice to see you, nor I, am alone in how we see the device. I was lucky enough to get to test drive one for an hour or so rather than buy. I just felt far more claustrophobic using it compared to the 4th gen Touch I was also using at the same time. And while I could see owning a Touch for a long time, maybe, I can't see the iPad as filling my needs even to the 50% point. I am hopeful of the Eee 121 when it hits the shelves and we'll see what develops and if the price holds, it just might as it's the only device running a real desktop OS, Win7, only with a touch wrapper around it. So time will tell.

Some of the apps I want to be able to use are OneNote (there is a sort of OneNote app but it felt weird still I did not spend a lot of time with it), email of course, but also Dragon NaturallySpeaking (also has an app but, on the iOS platform it REQUIRES an active web connection which in many instances will be impractical or even impossible), I have several custom Windows apps I wrote for my business needs as well as a vertical market app I use to manage my business. None of these can be ported to iOS, well I could easily port two of my three custom apps but I seriously don't want to do that much coding anymore.

So for me, unless I can get at least the NaturallySpeaking app, and OneNote I really don't see a lot of upside in the platform for me. But if those apps get better on the Touch I could actually find it very useful. What we need really is a device with a data only service option as well as wifi. But I only want a pay as I go or pre-paid option on any data plan as I don't need it unless I am on the road as I am now.

With a Win 7 device I will have the ability to use my favorite MBB ISP with an unlimited data plan I can activate only when I need it for the month. But given that all the apps I would need will run in their full featured install on a Win 7 device I really could make do with a wifi only connection.

These might seem like small issues, but really they make all the difference for me in the device. So only time will tell but I also am not willing to spend more than $500 for a slate device as I can pretty much get everything done with my existing laptops but would really like the increased ease of use for a slate PC over a laptop. So, I'll see where it's at in a few months.

Oh, and there is the whole up-in-the-air issue over Kindle4iOS which I need to access my reference books as I am able to buy more as they come out in eBook editions over time. I just don't feel safe trust Apple not to bone me hard over that issue either now or sometime in the not too distant future. And without a courtesy reach-around for that matter.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I don't know, the ipad is OK but why buy one now when the ipad2 will be so much better,
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
A tablet/slate computer isn't right for everyone, and if you don't like the iPad for specific reasons like the article's author, you won't like any tablets.

I was already looking to replace my laptop. Since I built my desktop computer that handled intensive tasks FAR better than my aging Macbook, I had been using my Macbook for basic tasks like web browsing, chatting, and a few other small things. If I was out and about and I needed to edit a large image or do something intensive, I found myself using a VNC client to go to my desktop to work there instead of opening it on my laptop.

So when it came to be time to invest in a new portable computer, I simply chose an iPad. When it's under $500 (black friday sale!), and in some ways more capable than the machine I'd otherwise get for the same budget, it was simply not a hard decision.

My needs for a portable computer have changed over time, and right now the emphasis is less on power and more on portability and battery life. No laptop can match the iPad in those areas, and because of that it has become my favorite purchase in the last few years.

Of course, if you expect it to replace every function of a good laptop or full desktop machine, you aren't going to be satisfied. The iPad, unlike most laptops and other portable computers, is really a machine used for a specific purpose. If your needs fall outside that purpose there is no reason to buy an iPad (or any other current tablet for that matter).
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
A tablet/slate computer isn't right for everyone, and if you don't like the iPad for specific reasons like the article's author, you won't like any tablets.
That depends I love my archos 5 tablet. But i don't feel the need for an iPad, or any 10" tablet.
The iPad is a nice toy, but it's just this, a toy. And way too expensive for a toy. Got myself a netbook, i can carry it around, use sigil on it, all that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I can see why you wouldn't feel the need for an iPad, if you already have a kindle, iphone, netbook and such... But *hate*?

I like my iPad. I don't use it as much since I got my iPhone 4, but I still use it plenty.

There's nothing like an iPad to read comics, PDFs (guides, magazines and such). All my RSS feeds on google reader can be easily read on an iPad.

Plus, it has a couple of entertaining games.

Also, I can watch football while my fiancé happily reads her emails, web surfes a little and play Treasures of Montezuma (an incredibly addictive game) on the iPad.
"hate" is the article writers word, not mine. He obviously chose such a word for the page hits it would generate.
I don't hate it, I merely find it kinda useless.
I didn't have very high expectations. I just wanted to use it as an ereader, but I find that it's horrible to read on: it's too heavy and the LCD is just awful on the eyes. Perhaps for those who haven't been exposed to the wonders of e-ink it does the job. Personally, it makes me fume when I hear it described as an 'ereader' because it simply isn't unless we want to call anything with an LCD an 'ereader'.
also, the apps that are available range from the plain stupid to the extremely limited (due in large part to the closed eco-system).
Meh...so much hype!
I wish I could get some use out of it but as it is, it's simply a shiny brick.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That depends I love my archos 5 tablet. But i don't feel the need for an iPad, or any 10" tablet.
The iPad is a nice toy, but it's just this, a toy. And way too expensive for a toy. Got myself a netbook, i can carry it around, use sigil on it, all that.
Funny enough, I consider a 5 inch tablet nothing more than a toy... too big to be a decent pocket machine, and too small to do anything useful on. the 10" form factor hit the right balance where it stopped being a toy for me.

The issue I have with netbooks is that they're often not powerful enough for the OS and programs they run, when they go to sleep, it can take upwards of a minute (in some cases) to have a usable desktop again, and depending on the OS, waking up from sleep or hibernation can be disastrous... unless they've finally managed to fix that issue... I know it was a problem with the netbooks my friends bought a couple years ago.

There's nothing HUGE that makes an iPad something I love, but it's the little things you don't get with a netbook or laptop that make it my favorite portable computer. It's always ready for me, instantly. I have enough battery that I don't need to worry about packing a charger if I leave for a day. Everything I use on it is quick to respond and quick to use. I don't have to wait for programs to load... It's nothing that would stop me from using a laptop, and I got on just fine with my laptop in the past... but when I'm waiting for a particularly resource heavy game to load, messing around during commercials, or otherwise filling in those few moments between things, I can pick up the iPad and do whatever it is I do during that time.

Could I use my iPhone, a laptop, or something else to do it? I definitely could. I could even substitute iPad for Xoom or something and I'd probably be just as happy. The point I was making is that the iPad (or any other capable 10 inch tablet) isn't going to be liked by certain people. While others will find it perfect. It really depends on your specific use of the device.

5 Inch tablets have always been classified as PMP's (Portable Media Players) until very recently, so it didn't even cross my mind to include them, and I feel they are a class of device closer to a smartphone/PDA than a tablet.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Funny enough, I consider a 5 inch tablet nothing more than a toy...
Yes, it's a toy. But an affordable toy
There I wanted something light, able to read music and video. And the IT5 excels at that. I feel like carrying my IT5 everyday. A netbook or iPad on the other hand, weight too much.
It's indeed more of a PMP than a tablet. On the other hand I can't see what service a 10" tablet would do the IT5 don't, save on the comfort side.

Quote:
The issue I have with netbooks is that they're often not powerful enough for the OS and programs they run, when they go to sleep, it can take upwards of a minute (in some cases) to have a usable desktop again,
win 7 is not **that long** to start.
** run windows ** was on my requirement list, because of one program I wanted to run. The few tablets that have windows on it, and the required power to run it decently costs $$$. And there is a virtual keyboard taking space on an already small screen. Finally decided for a netbook, that was the right choice for me.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-24-2011 at 08:51 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I used to have 4 thick ring binders + several books at my office. After the iPad, I have my comp and the iPad... that's it! It saves an awful lot of space. On top of it it's my morning newspaper, platform for reading mail and ocassional game platform. Now I use my laptop at home just for work and downloading/watching movies.

If you hate it... easy... sell it. I find it for my uses a fine instrument. And I also have an eink reader. I just leave my books on the reader and my technical pdfs on my ipad....

Yes, you're doing it wrong =P
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Gadgets are cool, but they don't improve anyones life

I always use this as basic statement on my life: no material thing, including electronics, will improve my life whatsoever. If most people keep that in mind and accept electronics are just a luxury, they will stop complaining and just enjoy what they already have.

Kindles or eink readers, when still a luxury, can "feed your brain" if used correctly, so besides being an luxury or electronic device, it can educate. The same is for the iPad. Everything depends of the user.

As a professional IT guy and DBA, my home and work laptop stop being a toy long time ago, they are not Luxury devices because they generate revenue to me with their usage, but that's not the case for other electronic devices I have, including my new iPad wifi.

Bottom line: if your gadget or electronic device helps you making money, is not a toy anymore; everything else maybe fall under the category of luxury or fun.

Last edited by jocampo; 02-24-2011 at 04:15 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote