Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I always "Save As" from the browser. The problem is that a lot of formating used in the PG files does not look good in Mobi and other formats. BD would strip all formating but, to my knowledge, Sigil will not, so I do some editing before loading Sigil. In fact, when I load to Sigil, all I have to do is press F6. I finally produce Epub, Mobi, LRF, and Imp for posting. It's a hobby.
Try using the Download section of PG instead of the "View" and "Save as".
I thought references were "adjusted" when saved to

Guess I was , wrong!
Pick HTML or EPUB

BTW the HTML version text did not "flow" around the pictures nicely at all
(looked like the image was sitting in a 1 line saddle )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BTW the HTML version text did not "flow" around the pictures nicely at all(looked like the image was sitting in a 1 line saddle )
What file are you referencing?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
What file are you referencing?
The original PG version you were having issues with ( I snagged the URL out of your problem), I grabbed a PG copy to look inside and marked up the problem area to display here.
Took less than 10 minutes to locate, import,convert, split, and make a reply.

Calibre plus Sigil: coolness.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #19
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The original PG version you were having issues with ( I snagged the URL out of your problem), I grabbed a PG copy to look inside and marked up the problem area to display here.

You can see the finished version and the one after that posted as Epub, Mobi, and LRF. In the following book, I pulled out all chapter Notes, renumbered, and placed them at the end of the book as Endnotes using Power GREP. I'm not sure which format is the more acceptable.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I always "Save As" from the browser. The problem is that a lot of formating used in the PG files does not look good in Mobi and other formats. BD would strip all formating but, to my knowledge, Sigil will not, so I do some editing before loading Sigil. In fact, when I load to Sigil, all I have to do is press F6. I finally produce Epub, Mobi, LRF, and Imp for posting. It's a hobby.

All the formatting carried out by PG is to mimic, as much as possible, the original book.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
All the formatting carried out by PG is to mimic, as much as possible, the original book.
It's not the formatting that is the problem. The way they achieve it is where some RS have a problem. Some CSS get very creative and Mobi, for instance does not recognize CSS. This is especally true with poetry. Epub allows much creatitivy but not all flavors do.

A good example is that Mobi does not allow for text flow around images. Hanging indents will not work.

So, I do not change the layout of the book, but try to achieve if in a way common to all RS. I probably never fully suceed.

Edit:
P.S. PG sometimes has errors too.

Last edited by crutledge; 07-11-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
It's not the formatting that is the problem. The way they achieve it is where some RS have a problem. Some CSS get very creative and Mobi, for instance does not recognize CSS. This is especally true with poetry. Epub allows much creatitivy but not all flavors do.

A good example is that Mobi does not allow for text flow around images. Hanging indents will not work.

So, I do not change the layout of the book, but try to achieve if in a way common to all RS. I probably never fully suceed.

Edit:
P.S. PG sometimes has errors too.

no one's perfect
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Not actually too sure why these are still experimental - one would have thought they could have moved on by now .....
I would guess because it still doesn't work properly with some files. I tried a couple weeks ago to grab the individual books of the KJV as epub format there; every one of them had a serious error that didn't let it display the whole thing (just one page of the actual verses). So although I'm pretty sure I was able to get Secret Garden and A Little Princess in epub just fine, the KJV did not work correctly as an epub. Not sure what made the difference there, but I'm guessing it's due to bugs and kinks like that that they haven't certified it as working great.
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #24
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Here is a link from a PG HTML file:
Code:
<A href="http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24105/24105-h/24105-h.htm#chap07">Chapter 7</A>
Quote:

Why not try Gutebook (with calibre and eBook Publisher installed) and Sigil for all your Gutenberg.org ebook creations.

All you need to do is install my GuteBook (see my sig for the link) and provide it with the Etext# 24105 and select which formats to produce (.epub, .mobi, .lit, .imp, ...) and customize/filter the html fetched directly from www.gutenberg.org and VIOLA, in under two minutes..... nicely produced ebooks!

The snapshots below show GuteBook in the process of creating the attached ebooks :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gutebook1.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	55844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gutebook2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	55845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gutebook3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	55846  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Emily Sarah Holt - For the Master's Sake.epub (243.6 KB, 311 views)
File Type: mobi Emily Sarah Holt - For the Master's Sake.mobi (234.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: lit Emily Sarah Holt - For the Master's Sake.lit (214.1 KB, 275 views)
File Type: imp Emily Sarah Holt - For the Master's Sake.imp (264.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: imp Emily Sarah Holt - For the Master's Sake_1200.imp (253.6 KB, 278 views)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote