Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufrostie View Post
So were would you get books for it?
You know, I replied to that question way up in post #3.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Man, that's a lovely little machine. It's nice to see so many new readers hitting the market, with so many nice features.

If I didn't already have a PRS-505, I would definitely want this one.

Oh, how are the ergonomics? Is it as comfortable to use as it looks?

Last edited by khalleron; 11-11-2009 at 11:12 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
tufrostie
Enthusiast
tufrostie began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1100, PocketBook 360
I am out in the sticks here so , no library. I like to read best sellers, I dont have a problem paying for drm - I read it on my laptop, just want an ereader that can do the same. So yeah, post #3 didnt actually direct me anywere, but thank you for the redirection. No need to be rude.

"you know, I replied to that question way up in post #3"

Last edited by tufrostie; 11-11-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: adding quotes
tufrostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #19
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Kacir, thanks a lot for such a great review!!! I really did not have a second of time couple of last days to open MR... now I wish I did it earlier).
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
I am out in the sticks here so , no library. I like to read best sellers, I dont have a problem paying for drm - I read it on my laptop, just want an ereader that can do the same. So yeah, post #3 didnt actually direct me anywere, but thank you for the redirection. No need to be rude.

Tufrostie, the firmware with DRM support will be released very soon. I mean, really soon, I just talked yesterday to guys in Kiev, the developers of PB's firmware and they said that they expect it to be ready by the end of November, even earlier.
Actually, here's a little secret (attention, insider's info!): the DRM-capable firmware is already ready and waits the final the "OK" from Adobe. Right now it is with Adobe, at their final review.
Everything was not that simple: the guys in Ukraine ADDED a lot of new features to the 'bare' DRM-support (they asked me not to tell yet which), actually, ENHANCING the initial thing. Adobe was surprised, not expecting such an initiatives... Well, right now all we can do is wait for Adobe's reply.
One more thing - what you have right now on your 360 may be called the test-version (beta-version) of the drm-supportive firmware. It may work pretty well with drm epubs, or may not, in Europe it does. Please try your drm'ed files on PB360.
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #21
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:

Ok well, just because you can read drm ebooks, doesn't mean you can't read non-drm ebooks. So the places I listed still may be of interest to you.

Where do you buy drm'd epubs? Thinking about that... I don't know. I usually buy from Fictionwise, if I buy at all. I don't think they have drm epub though. They have "secure adobe reader" which I think is pdf.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #22
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Tufrostie, the firmware with DRM support will be released very soon. I mean, really soon, I just talked yesterday to guys in Kiev, the developers of PB's firmware and they said that they expect it to be ready by the end of November, even earlier.
Actually, here's a little secret (attention, insider's info!): the DRM-capable firmware is already ready and waits the final the "OK" from Adobe. Right now it is with Adobe, at their final review.
Everything was not that simple: the guys in Ukraine ADDED a lot of new features to the 'bare' DRM-support (they asked me not to tell yet which), actually, ENHANCING the initial thing. Adobe was surprised, not expecting such an initiatives... Well, right now all we can do is wait for Adobe's reply.
One more thing - what you have right now on your 360 may be called the test-version (beta-version) of the drm-supportive firmware. It may work pretty well with drm epubs, or may not, in Europe it does. Please try your drm'ed files on PB360.
Yar:

Tell the GiK's (Guy's in Kiev) THANKS for pushing the envelope. That is something none of the other-guys/competition ever do...by differentiating the PB readers with added features and extensions it makes the device not only more flexible and appealing to many more folks, it is also more than just another device with a different shell and name silk-screened across the front.

I am sorry to read in the review that the audible click for the buttons still exists. Maybe it's just on of those things, but in some situations it will be a problem if it disturbs others around you. As with all things nothing is perfect though...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic

Breck, thanks, as always, for good words))

the clicks will go, I BELIEVE, after some time. I don't notice them... because it's more comfortable for me to use the central block of button, that are around OK button. They don't click)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #24
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post

Oh, how are the ergonomics? Is it as comfortable to use as it looks?
Its really nice to hold, exactly as you'd expect. If you are in the Portland area we could arrange a meet at a mall or somewhere for you to check one out in person. Some place kid friendly since I'd more than likely have one or both of my boys with me.

Strange things about the clicks- I found them to be reassuring that the buttons were strong/durable. Didn't dawn on me that some would be put off by the click. It's good to know.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Tufrostie-

Books On Board is a fine independent ADE/ePub ebook retailer and they also sell Mobi and eReader drm formats.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 11-12-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I am sorry to read in the review that the audible click for the buttons still exists.
I have only mentioned the clicks because I noticed that many people were concerned about clicks in previous PB360 discussions, especially after seeing one video at the Youtube. The one comparing PB360 to Sony reader PRS-505.
It is really not that bad. And if you use D pad, and click (push and release button) slowly you can make clicks almost inaudible.
I can happily read and click away with my wife that is falling asleep next to me and with two small kids (one less than 6 months old) sleeping in the same room / bed.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #27
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm curious as to how the RTF displays? Do images work? or the table of contents?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #28
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have only mentioned the clicks because I noticed that many people were concerned about clicks in previous PB360 discussions, especially after seeing one video at the YouTube. The one comparing PB360 to Sony reader PRS-505.
It is really not that bad. And if you use D pad, and click (push and release button) slowly you can make clicks almost inaudible.
I can happily read and click away with my wife that is falling asleep next to me and with two small kids (one less than 6 months old) sleeping in the same room / bed.
thanks kacir...the clicks sound just horrid in the couple of YouTube videos I found...but I also did have a feeling that part of it was the room/area the device was tested. I did notice that the clicks were MUCH louder when the 360 was lying flat on the hard surface table compared to when hand held...again that makes sense. Still it would be nice if there was a move to a soft-click membrane style button setup. But no knowing the engineering limitations, it just might not have been possible at the time. Or maybe even these buttons will last longer.

I am only sensitive to the clicks because of the old days with the really LOUD IBM keyboards, but I also love my Northgate keyboard because the thing was not only built as if you could bludgeon an invading Viking horde but also the click as well as the tactile feel of the keys were still the best I ever used on a computer. In fact one year I gave all my friends keyboards for Christmas or their birthdays because they were so good.

Ultimately for me, the click is not a big deal at all. But I find it a bit surprising in this day and age. I could see though that from a durability standpoint by removing the rubber membrane on the buttons will make them work correctly and retain the same feel a lot longer. As an example the trackpad on my current laptop uses sort of a rubber gasket sort of thing between the mouse buttons and the actual switch. The laptop is only 3.5yrs old now and I have been through 5 sets of those leetle beasties because the buttons never feel right once that rubber loses it's integrity.

Anyway, that is how I am going to rationalize the whole thing in my mind!! hehehehe....but, in all seriousness, it's great to read about someone with hands on experience in this one niggling point I have...I figure if that is the only issue to find with the reader, I think they did it all right!

Thanks a bunch for your comments.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #29
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Here is how to create a folder:

1. Highlight a book using the 4-way button/key

2. Click and HOLD the selection/OK button. This will bring up the menu which lets you mark the book read, add it to favorites, change the sorting of files etc

3. Select "File" and click OK or click right on the direction key. this opens the next menu tree which allows you to rename the file, move it to or from the SD card, delete it etc

4. Select "Move to folder" and click ok

5.Click OK again on the Book folder

6. Now you can select a folder to move the book to or create a folder

7. Click "Create Folder" and type the name of your folder then click OK

Your Done
[sigh ...]
it will take another ten installments of my review to describe the PocketBook 360 in this level of detail ;-)
PB is so filled with neat features that I keep discovering.
With my review I have barely scratched the surface. I have yet to describe:
- how the device handles individual formats,
- how the on-screen keyboard works,
- how you create notes
- how you take clippings and how you export those to your PC
- how well thought-out the dictionary interface is,
- how to prepare a dictionary
- how to configure buttons.
- how to create your own boot up and shutdown logo. See here for examples and inspiration.
- how to download, install and use third-party applications, such as various games, scientific calculator, terminal emulator you can use to play with the Linux system installed on the device http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml

I have devoted more than half of my long review to the FBreader description and yet, I have discovered a few new and cool features I will need to address to provide a complete picture for my fellow mobilereaders that are contemplating purchase of the device.
For example, you can switch the status bar on and off, you just have to assign that function to some button in device configuration menu.

Yaroslav, is there a way of how to get screenshot on the device? I remember somebody talking about screenshots, I just no not know if they were talking about device itself or a device emulator on PC.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #30
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
Now I'm a little concerned about the epub rendering. It's done with fbreader? or adobe digital editions? Because fbreader doesn't display ebooks very well. Adobe does.

You can actually switch between the reader software while reading an Epub...

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote