Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Colerson
Nameless Being

Modifying B&N content

When I download Gutenberg books, I use Calibre to normalize the layout of each book, so they all have the same font size, paragraph layout, etc. If I ever purchase B&N content, I'd like to do the same.

As I understand it, I'd have to root my Nook to get access to the books, remove the digital restrictions management, convert with Calibre and then side-load the books. At this point, I would have two copies of the same book. I presume I'd have to remove the book (permanently!) from my B&N library if I wanted to only see my new, converted copy, otherwise, even if I removed the file from my Nook, it'd still see the "master" copy; is this correct?

Better question, perhaps: what is the best way to convert purchased content from B&N and put it back on my Nook?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colerson View Post
Better question, perhaps: what is the best way to convert purchased content from B&N and put it back on my Nook?
No need to root to get the books, they can be downloaded from the website.

Method I would use...

Buy book

Download from B&N website
(http://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/index.html)

Remove DRM

Convert in Calibre to your specs

Sideload to Nook via USB
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Colerson
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No need to root to get the books, they can be downloaded from the website.

Method I would use...

Buy book

Download from B&N website
(http://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/index.html)

Remove DRM

Convert in Calibre to your specs

Sideload to Nook via USB
Oh, excellent. Somehow I managed to miss that large "DOWNLOAD" link last time I looked. Thanks so much.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Yeah, it is much easier with B&N then with Amazon. Amazon you basically have to install Kindle for PC (or maybe Mac? Not if Calibre will work on Macs). You then load the book in to the kindle for PC app, grab it from the default kindle book folder and import it in to Calibre where it'll strip the DRM. Then if you want to run it on a nook you have to convert it to Epub.

I do this occasionally when an Amazon book is a lot cheaper than a B&N book and the AZW to EPUB conversions have all turned out excellently without lost formating or anything else like that. Only done it 3 times though, but all 3 were highly successful.

Every B&N book I buy I download and strip DRM. In large part because if I buy the book, IMHO, I darn well own that thing. I don't want to be limited to only being able to run it on a nook or the nook app. That said, I don't side load it back on, I download it over wifi to my nook simple touch, but I like having the DRM removed copy in case I ever switch ereader devices, or want to load it up on my ipad as well or something (I hate the nook ipad app as well as the kindle ipad app. They aren't the worst thing ever, but ibooks is so much nicer).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote