Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #46
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Same here. The pocketbook software is one of the best in the industry. Also, the fact that the device is not locked down is huge. If you ever want to turn it into a tablet 100% you know you can do it.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #47
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I found an interesting device - a Mi-Fi 3G WiFi Router that runs on rechargeable battery. In the UK "3" bundles it with data service for 15 pounds sterling a month. It is the Huawei E585.

It would enable 3G data for the PocketBook IQ (or ANY other WiFi device) while traveling.

I did not find a vendor in North America. But, I found a Hong Kong seller for $US130. Unfortunately, it has the 3 prong UK AC power adapter for those who do not live in the UK.

I have a query into the Hong Kong seller. Perhaps they have alternate power adapters.
http://www.kfstores.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=54
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #48
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
It seems that the shipment of Pocketbook IQ in the USA will be delayed untill 20th Nov. according to a thread I've read here. This is quite disappointing as I was looking forward to receiving it at least by the end of this week. Sad.....
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #49
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

I got a reply from the Hong Kong Store for the hand held 3g WiFi Router:

"for your question, we have 2 suggestion

1. you can buy e585 from us and add 1 usd to get the us ac power adaptor.

2. you want buy e585 US AC power connector you need to add 5usd.

Regards
KFStores"
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #50
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Same here. The pocketbook software is one of the best in the industry. Also, the fact that the device is not locked down is huge. If you ever want to turn it into a tablet 100% you know you can do it.
If I want to turn the IQ in to an android tablet does the same approach for the pandigital white work? Can anyone share links on this conversion for the IQ?

Thanks
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post
If I want to turn the IQ in to an android tablet does the same approach for the pandigital white work? Can anyone share links on this conversion for the IQ?

Thanks
You don't need to.
The Pocketbook IQ is unlocked so you don't have to hack it.
Not only are you allowed to install whatever you want to (it's *your* reader, after all) but at least one of the retailers (Dulin's Books) has talked of hosting some of the more useful/popular apps.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #52
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If that is true, could we start making suggestions for software?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #53
asjogren
Addict

There are 4 issues that I can think of right now concerning APPs:
1) Does it generally work, or, does it need something the IQ does NOT have?
2) Does it work and do the buttons and windows adjust well to the different screen size, pixel density? In other words, does it look and work WELL?
3) How do we BUY an App that only appears on the Android Market?
4) How about Google APPs?

I would love to see a Wiki where we could document our experiences with each APP along with work arounds. Also some way of ranking the top APPs for our community on the PocketBook IQ.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guys, any apps that we might get running on the IQ is just frosting on the cake; they are *explicitly* marketting it as a color reader, remember. They won't stop you from using it as a tablet (and they might even help a bit) but it is worth remembering that Google does not support Android on anything but smartphones. Which means there are limits to the assistance the powers-that-be in IQ-land can legally offer.

So if we want a specific app, especially a commercial Marketplace app, it will be up to us to get it. The most viable procedure would be to buy it using an Android Phone and then sideload it to the IQ.
A web page listing which Android apps are known to be compatible or not with the IQ would be useful but it's not something we can assume will be available.

For now, let's wait until the IQ ships and the reviews start to filter in. Then we'll know how viable a reader it is and how viable a tablet it might be.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #55
asjogren
Addict

Quote:
Guys, any apps that we might get running on the IQ is just frosting on the cake; they are *explicitly* marketting it as a color reader, remember.
Agreed. Yet, a group of your customers could document their experiences. It would reduce repeating poor experiences.

If a reseller or PocketBook itself could get specific purchased APPs that would be fantastic!

As for me, I *want* iBird Pro if it works reasonably and possibly Audubon Birds. Most of the free ones I can figure out how to get.

Actually, the interactive nature guide genre could be a specialty that fits quite well with the color eBook reader marketplace.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

I'm a potential customer myself (without an Android phone) so I'd love to see as many apps readily available as possible. But I'd hate to see Pocketbook or their resellers called on the carpet over this. As an end-user effort, sure. As a corporate sponsored thing, though, it could get touchy.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #57
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I propose we open a separate thread: "IQ Apps" where people document their experiences with different software available for Android and played in the IQ. I daresay the bookstore-tied apps would get a lot of attention for what seems to be an underdog.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I propose we open a separate thread: "IQ Apps" where people document their experiences with different software available for Android and played in the IQ. I daresay the bookstore-tied apps would get a lot of attention for what seems to be an underdog.
A good idea.
We already have a thread for Themes, after all.
A thread listing the apps, how they behave, and *how* to get them would be useful.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #59
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
look at the picture from Yaroslav (mine arent in hand yet )

from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106440

File manager , Spare Parts , Slide Me ....
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #60
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
sorry- big picture is big
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote