Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-05-2023, 05:15 AM   #7156
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Mercedes Lackey's books tend to have beautiful, weird covers. They make me think of Barbie in a fantasy story. There's something about the eyes and slightly 'off' poses. In case it sounds like I'm slagging the covers, on the contrary, I like them.

The art reminds me a lot of Colleen Doran's style (to where I looked to see if she did any cover art for Lackey).
The Valdemar covers were done by Jody A. Lee.

https://www.jodylee.org/cover-portfolio
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:20 AM   #7157
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
The River of Silver: Tales from the Daevabad Trilogy by S. A Chakraborty us $1 in the US (Kobo, Amazon)
Collects new and previously-published material.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #7158
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Watership Down by Richard Adams is $1.99 at Amazon, B&N and Kobo US.

Quote:
A worldwide bestseller for more than forty years, Watership Down is the compelling tale of a band of wild rabbits struggling to hold onto their place in the world—“a classic yarn of discovery and struggle” (The New York Times).

Richard Adams’s Watership Down is a timeless classic and one of the most beloved novels of all time.

Set in the Hampshire Downs in Southern England, an idyllic rural landscape, this stirring tale of “suspense, hot pursuit, and derring-do” (Chicago Tribune) follows a band of rabbits in flight from the incursion of man and the destruction of their home.

Led by a stouthearted pair of brothers, they travel forth from their native Sandleford warren through harrowing trials to a mysterious promised land and a more perfect society.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:48 PM   #7159
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I bought that during last year's sale. It was an enjoyable read.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 04:22 AM   #7160
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Walking Practice Dolki Min, translated by Victoria Caudle is $3 in the US (Kobo, Amazon)
Quote:
An alien's hunt for food that transforms into an existential crisis about what it means to be human.

After crashing their spacecraft in the middle of nowhere, a shapeshifting alien find themself stranded on an unfamiliar planet and disabled by Earth’s gravity. To survive, they will need to practice walking. And what better way than to hunt for food? As they discover, humans are delicious.

Intelligent, clever, and adaptable, the alien shift their gender, appearance, and conduct to suit a prey’s sexual preference, then attack at the pivotal moment of their encounter. They use a variety of hunting tools, including a popular dating app, to target the juiciest prey and carry a backpack filled with torturous instruments and cleaning equipment. But the alien’s existence begins to unravel one night when they fail to kill their latest meal.

Thrust into an ill-fated chase across the city, the alien is confronted with the psychological and physical tolls their experience on Earth has taken. Questioning what they must do to sustain their own survival, they begin to understand why humans also fight to live. But their hunger is insatiable, and the alien once again targets a new prey, not knowing what awaits. . . .

Dolki Min’s haunting debut novel is part psychological thriller, part searing critique of the social structures that marginalize those who are different—the disabled, queer, and nonconformist. Walking Practice uncovers humanity in who we consider to be alien, and illuminates how alienation can shape the human experience.
Advert
Old 06-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #7161
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Mercedes Lackey's books tend to have beautiful, weird covers. They make me think of Barbie in a fantasy story. There's something about the eyes and slightly 'off' poses. In case it sounds like I'm slagging the covers, on the contrary, I like them.

The art reminds me a lot of Colleen Doran's style (to where I looked to see if she did any cover art for Lackey).
I like them too. And yet, you are correct, things are often slightly "off", but I think it's the general consistency that feels good and familiar and wonderful.

Mercedes Lackey and Jody A. Lee just go together to the point where it's nearly impossible to imagine a Lackey book without a cover by Jody.

It was definitely the cover art that first caught my attention way back in the days before ebooks when I regularly browsed the SciFi and Fantasy section in book stores.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:58 AM   #7162
salty-horse
Wizard

Imajica by Clive Barker is $2 in the US (Kobo, Amazon)
Reviews suggest this is more Fantasy than Horror, so posting here.
Quote:
An epic tale of myth, magic, and forbidden passion.

Imajica is an epic beyond compare: vast in conception, obsessively detailed in execution, and apocalyptic in its resolution. At its heart lies the sensualist and master art forger, Gentle, whose life unravels when he encounters Judith Odell, whose power to influence the destinies of men is vaster than she knows, and Pie 'oh' pah, an alien assassin who comes from a hidden dimension.

That dimension is one of five in the great system called Imajica. They are worlds that are utterly unlike our own, but are ruled, peopled, and haunted by species whose lives are intricately connected with ours. As Gentle, Judith, and Pie 'oh' pah travel the Imajica, they uncover a trail of crimes and intimate betrayals, leading them to a revelation so startling that it changes reality forever.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:50 AM   #7163
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Imajica by Clive Barker is $2 in the US (Kobo, Amazon)
Reviews suggest this is more Fantasy than Horror, so posting here.
I think most of Clive's novels qualify more as fantasy than horror. At least in my experience.
Old 06-07-2023, 06:57 PM   #7164
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov is $2.99 at Amazon, B&N and Kobo US.

Quote:
A spellbinding novel set in the universe of Isaac Asimov’s classic Galactic Empire series and Foundation series

Due to circumstances within our control . . . tomorrow will be canceled.

The Eternals, the ruling class of the Future, had the power of life and death not only over every human being but over the very centuries into which they were born. Past, Present, and Future could be created or destroyed at will.

You had to be special to become an Eternal. Andrew Harlan was special. Until he committed the one unforgivable sin—falling in love.

Eternals weren’t supposed to have feelings. But Andrew could not deny the sensations that were struggling within him. He knew he could not keep this secret forever. And so he began to plan his escape, a plan that changed his own past . . . and threatened Eternity itself.
This is some kind of reissue. I bought The End of Eternity in 2019, but Amazon doesn't recognize it. I had to go search through my orders.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-07-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:34 AM   #7165
salty-horse
Wizard

Radix by A. A. Attanasio is $1 on Amazon.com
First in a series from 1981. It's complete, but apparently not all of it has been republished by the author.
Was on my wishlist.
Quote:
A saga of a young man's odyssey of self-discovery on an eerily alien Earth thirteen centuries in the future.

Rich in detail and filled with beings brought to life with intense energy, this strange and beautiful world reveals its secrets as Sumner Kagan changes from an adolescent outcast to a warrior with god-like powers. In the process, we accompany Sumner on an epic and transcendent journey.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:36 AM   #7166
salty-horse
Wizard

The latest StoryBundle curated by Lavie Tidhar is out.
https://www.storybundle.com/bestof
Included:
  • The Last Blade Priest by W.P. Wiles
  • The Coral Bones by E. J. Swift
  • Greensmith by Aliya Whiteley
  • Falling Dark by Tom Lloyd
  • Triggernometry by Stark Holborn
  • Ogres by Adrian Tchaikovsky
  • Selkie Summer by Ken Macleod
  • Paper Hearts by Justina Robson
  • Stealing For the Sky by Adam Roberts
  • The Vanishing Kind by Lavie Tidhar

I posted about an omnibus with Ogres last week, and I just read Triggernometry.
I have a bunch of others on the list but didn't get to them yet. I can still recommend them
Old 06-08-2023, 11:19 AM   #7167
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Dragons of Summer Flame by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is $1.99 at Amazon, B&N and Kobo US.

Quote:
The Dragonlance universe enters a new era in this thrilling fantasy tale starring the descendants Krynn’s greatest warriors, the Heroes of the Lance.

The perfect read for fans of Dungeons & Dragons and action-packed epic fantasy!

The War of the Lance is long over. The seasons come and go as the pendulum of the world swings. Now it is summer—a hot, parched summer during which the uneasy balance of light and dark begins to shift.

The Dark Queen has found new champions in the Knights of Takhisis. Among them is dark paladin Steel Brightblade, the son of the heroic Sturm Brightblade and the infamous Kitiara Uth Matar. He rides to attack the high Clerist’s Tower, the fortress his father died defending . . .

Elsewhere, other descendants of the Companions embark on their own journeys: Distraught by a grievous loss, the young Palin Majere seeks to enter the Abyss in search of his lost uncle, the archmage Raistlin. And in Palanthas, a human girl named Usha comes forward with claims that she is Raistlin's lost daughter. She has fled her home among the Irda, who have unwittingly unleashed the god Chaos upon the world in their desperation to thwart the Knights of Takhisis.

The summer will be deadly. But for whom, only the swing of the pendulum will tell.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:01 PM   #7168
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The first two books in Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles are $1.99 at Amazon (possibly other places):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 02:13 PM   #7169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Deals on Science Fiction & Fantasy books at Amazon US.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...31&ref=sr_pg_1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:05 PM   #7170
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Deals on Science Fiction & Fantasy books at Amazon US.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...31&ref=sr_pg_1

That seems to be UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote