Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
CharlesinCharge
CharlesinCharge began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Anyone ever do a large scale professional ePub conversion?

Man, am I glad I found this forum. The publishing company I work for has tasked me with finding a viable, cost-effective method for converting around 1,000 titles to ePub. We currently stock the titles in hardcope, tiff, and PDF formats. I've looked into outsourcing the work to offshore companies like Innodata, Cadmus, Apex Covantage, Aptara, etc. Anyone ever work with any of them? Any recommendations? These titles are somewhat complex (many have tables, images, odd characters, etc.), and the output needs to be functionally and asthetically professional. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.
CharlesinCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
I really hate to say this, as many of us here are doing epubs professionally, but I've seen really fantastic work from Suntec India, converting pdf's to epubs. Very nice.

Hitch

UPDATE 9/12/2010: HOWEVER, having sent not one but two clients there (clients I really didn't want), I have to say that their customer service blows chunks. Also, if you want to use the epubs for mobi, they use tables in their epubs, which will blow your mobis to hell. Lastly, they won't quote you a fixed price, or ANY price; you send them your file or a sample, and then they give you a price. I admit that I won't give a client a fixed NTE price until I've looked at the file, for about a billion good reasons; but I don't hang up on potential clients, either. Very weird behavior--one of my clients called them not once but had to call SIX times, before she could get a live body, and on the sixth call the guy who answered the phone told her "I don't have time to talk to you" and hung up on her. Not my idea of great customer service, and if our clients were "techie," they wouldn't need us, now, would they?

Last edited by Hitch; 09-12-2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Update on Suntec
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I have not done it professional, but I have converted for personal use. Free PDFs from Gutenberg. And I can tell you, PDF is the WORST to convert from. You can do it but it causes errors, which then you need to learn a bit of CSS to fix in the stylesheet that Calibre uses.
I would advice you outsource it to a company which can do it. For this I have no information. Sorry.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinCharge View Post
Anyone ever work with any of them? and the output needs to be functionally and asthetically professional. Let me know your thoughts.
I have, and still do send out my complex conversions, like what you have...
Why? because I know it would take me 3 times as long to do it myself. I do the rest (text and a few images etc) myself. What you have I would outsource, I have dealt with a few of these companies and would be happy to supply you with some contact details...
Just send me a PM if you are interested.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
ldespain
ldespain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Nook, Kindle
What's your timeframe? I convert from PDF to ePub for the publishing company that I work for and also have been doing some freelance work. I would be willing to convert one of your titles for free so you can see the quality. It does take a while to get some of the books just right.
ldespain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Man, am I glad I found this forum. The publishing company I work for has tasked me with finding a viable, cost-effective method for converting around 1,000 titles to ePub. We currently stock the titles in hardcope, tiff, and PDF formats. I've looked into outsourcing the work to offshore companies like Innodata, Cadmus, Apex Covantage, Aptara, etc. Anyone ever work with any of them? Any recommendations? These titles are somewhat complex (many have tables, images, odd characters, etc.), and the output needs to be functionally and asthetically professional. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.
One thing you should do is get your company to store any new titles in a better format for conversion. It's probably too late for the titles you already have, but PDF is NOT a source format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
vastav
vastav began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Man, am I glad I found this forum. The publishing company I work for has tasked me with finding a viable, cost-effective method for converting around 1,000 titles to ePub. We currently stock the titles in hardcope, tiff, and PDF formats....
My company provides full-service solution for converting PDFs to ePubs and also for making PDFs accessible. Our key differentiation comes from our technology driven approach (complemented with human quality assurance) and the fact that you would have the option to get back a fully tagged and accessible PDF which can be later used for any type of content re-purposing. More information is available at http://www.pdf2epub.com/publishers. I have also sent you a PM for this.
vastav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastav View Post
My company provides full-service solution for converting PDFs to ePubs

PDFs which are pre tagged.

No UI for OSX so I can't try your software.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
vastav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post

PDFs which are pre tagged.

No UI for OSX so I can't try your software.
Our solution does not require PDFs to be pre-tagged. The plugin is not available for Mac yet but there is a web option available for trial (which is slightly lower quality than full solution but handles PDFs with simple layout and text/ images well).
Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
I tried downloading from the site http://www.pdf2epub.com/publishers as listed above. My Norton Antivirus did not like the resultant download and quarantined it. Message from Norton:
"Download Insight analyzed pd2epub_setup_v09_b04.exe Quarantined"

Of course this may be a false positive; Norton does this sometimes...
Bob

Last edited by bobcdy; 08-20-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: correction
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
vastav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
...My Norton Antivirus did not like the resultant download and quarantined it. Message from Norton:
"Download Insight analyzed pd2epub_setup_v09_b04.exe Quarantined"

Of course this may be a false positive; Norton does this sometimes...
Bob
I downloaded "Norton Internet Security 2010" software and scanned my plugin installer with it. The scan came out clear, without any issues. Not sure what could be going on with your installation. I am going to reach out to Norton folks and report this as an issue with their sensitivity setting for malware detection.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Charles. Please look for a MobileRead pm from me. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread Charles
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
jdmacv
jdmacv began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle/Nook
Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Charles,

Are there any specific functionality needs your titles have?

Best regards,

Joel
jdmacv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
jdmacv

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, epub, large scale, outsource, professional conversion