Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
black flash/page turning

Does the firmware update fix this issue? I'm afraid I'm going to have to return my one day old Kobo if not The black flash is very distracting for me when reading and I know other readers do not have this problem.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
no, the upgrade can't fix this; as i understand it it is an aspect of the e-ink technology.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Some degree of flash is inherent in the e-ink technology. Some readers only do it every four to eight page turns, some do it every page. I've found I don't notice it any more.

I see you have a Jetbook -that reader uses a different technology (reflective LCD) which allows a very quick page turn. Unfortunately, no current 6" reader uses that screen. I have a (very similar) Libre, and I think it is a very good reader with very good multi-format support. It is a little heavier because of the bigger battery required. If you are happy with the Jetbook, hang on to it and return the Kobo.

Just saw in another thread that your Jetbook died; I'm sorry about that. Still, you might be happier replacing it instead of moving to an e-ink display. And they are less expensive than all the others.

Last edited by pholy; 07-04-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: New info from other thread...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
I own a Kindle 2 and have just purchased 2 Kobos for my children and am very disappointed by the Black flash and slow page turn on the Kobo. The Kindle in comparison is very quick when turning a page and does not have the extended black screen for as long, almost un-noticeable. I sort of wish I had not bought the Kobos and paid a few more dollars and got the Kindles. But the kids seem OK with them.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I got used to it very quickly. I hit the button when I'm a line or two away from the end of the page.

I'm not surprised that the kids have no problem with this. I make a determined effort to be "childlike" in my acceptance of new things. Well, except for that "pants around the knees" thing. Pull your pants up, damn it! You look like an idiot!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
I only find the black-flash to be a problem when scrolling a pdf. It makes off-sized pdf files useless to me.

I guess I also need to pick up a 10 inch reader for tech manuals and text books.

Last edited by techie42; 07-07-2010 at 12:35 PM.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
page turning