Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hi Y'all! Merry Christmas!

Lilac, you tickle me with your New Year's Resolution reading lists. Did you ever read Rebecca?
No not yet, I will add that to my list. It's packed away somewhere right now.
I had about a dozen on my TBR list, so I've got them loaded up and ready to go. I added 4 yesterday after reading about Mary Stewart's Merlin series.

I'm such a slow reader that this dozen will probably take the whole year to finish off.
Yes yes yes to the Dresden Files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't really have a "goal" so to speak... but I do have a reading list.

Some books that I think I will tackle...

The Stand (yes, never read it and hear such good stuff about it.)

One or two more classics. Not sure which yet.

I keep wanting to start the Womens Murder Club books but seems to keep going to something else and also head a lot of good on this forum about the Dresden File's books.

See... what happens is I don't buy ebooks ahead of time. If I did, I would probably stick to reading those first since I don't like to just buy books to sit unread for months and months. So, I end up buying or getting what strikes me at that moment.

I do want to spend more time reading and less in front of the tube. That is sort of a goal I guess.

BOb
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #17
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
I keep an ever-growing reading list, but for 2010 I want to get through all the Hugo Award winning novels I haven't read. If it's part of a series, I'm going to read the entire thing.

Oh, and one classic per month as well.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
I've never been much of a reader of the pbook variety beacuse of the losing page location, feeling of paper, curvature of the pages, smell of chemicals in ink, etc... With that said, I purchased a PRS-600 and started out with Atlas Shrugged at the suggestion of my wife since she claims I'm her "John Galt". Once done with that, I'll probably move onto Homer's Iliad, then onto other classics. I like the free stuff!
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Since getting my BeBook and finding MR the thing I like best is how much my reading habits have expanded. I've read so many new authors and genres that I would probably never have if I was still wandering into bookstores and choosing pbooks by browsing.

So my resolutions would not be any specific lists or titles but rather to keep reading as much as I have and to keep expanding my reading habits.

Oh, except for the Dresden Files! I have read six and definitely going to read the rest! Loving them.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Ya know, my resolution SHOULD be not to read the lists you folks put out here....You're always mentioning authors & titles that sound intriguing & then I go out & find them...add them to my library & TBR list! I've finished my 1st compilation of books, converted & ready to read, & they number over 1700 now....You people just have to stop talking about all these 'good reads'!!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
I've finished my 1st compilation of books, converted & ready to read, & they number over 1700 now....
Thank you for making me feel a lot better about my 400+ books waiting to be read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
Fiona
Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Mobi for Nokia N95; Hanlin V3; Sony PRS350; Kindle for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams

Hope you enjoy this one. It's one of my all-time favourites. I like it even more than the Hitchhiker's Guide series.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thank you for making me feel a lot better about my 400+ books waiting to be read.
Holly mackerel. While I'm sure my "to read" list is pretty long (I don't have it written down officially) I feel overwhelmed if I have more than 2 pages of books listed on my Kindle's home page.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post
I keep an ever-growing reading list, but for 2010 I want to get through all the Hugo Award winning novels I haven't read. If it's part of a series, I'm going to read the entire thing.

Oh, and one classic per month as well.
You better get cracking on this, because the new list of nominees for 2010 will be coming out soon. Have fun!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Holly mackerel. While I'm sure my "to read" list is pretty long (I don't have it written down officially) I feel overwhelmed if I have more than 2 pages of books listed on my Kindle's home page.

BOb
I'm with you there. More than a dozen or so and they are in the "other books" category for me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I never intended to have such a long list. It's all fictionwise's fault - too many splendid offers. Hopefully by 2012 I'll have it down to a manageable length!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I never intended to have such a long list. It's all fictionwise's fault - too many splendid offers. Hopefully by 2012 I'll have it down to a manageable length!
Yea... right. I think the problem is that buying/downloading an ebook takes so much less time than to read them.

I think if you STOP buying ebooks for two years and only read them you have a chance of catching up.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yea... right. I think the problem is that buying/downloading an ebook takes so much less time than to read them.

I think if you STOP buying ebooks for two years and only read them you have a chance of catching up.

BOb
Maybe.....maybe.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant
Well, I'm compiling my library for my future life...intending on retiring in the next year or 2, moving aboard a sailboat & going wherever the winds of impulse take us. So, if I don't get to read as much as I like now, I'm sure to have plenty to keep me occupied when we get underway.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #30
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

Also: if it was a freebie and I don't like it, I hereby give myself permission to delete it and move on to something else...
As my reading queue seems to be getting longer(over 170 now) and not shorter I have already started employing the if its a freebie and I don't like it before I have read 100 pages get rid of it. If I have paid for it and don't like it struggle on and only get rid of it if I am really bored with it.
At my present rate of 1 to 1.5 books a week my list is not going to get much shorter but I plan to keep up my variety approach by mixing thrillers, scifi/fantasy, humour, and the odd non-fiction into the mix.

BTW, my birthday is in May as well, so the Sony reader must be a favorite of those born in May
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote