Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #481
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I am a little apprehensive about filling the entire page with text. I would like a little margin around the edges.

With the Pocket Pro, will the user be able to set margins around the text?
With ePub on the EZ Reader, by default (i.e. if the ebook does not sprecify margins), text does fill virtually the entire screen, see scans of the screen. I like small margins, but these are too small in my opinion. I don't know if this is one of the issues that will be addressed by the next firmware release or not (it certainly can in principle be changed with a firmware upgrade).

It is a limitation of mobile Adobe Digital Editions (not just on the Hanlins) that it does not allow user-control of things like font type and margins. Individual ePub ebooks can set whatever margins they want inside the document. I have seen some with very wide margins that only work well in landscape mode. For DRM-free ePubs, Calibre can produce a new ePub for you with customized margins - or you can format shift to FB2 or whichever format you like best on the EZ Reader (Pocket Pro). This does not work for DRMed (encrypted) ePubs, unless you strip the DRM first.

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-21-2009 at 03:04 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #482
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Word back from RhinoSkins

Thank you for your interest in Saunders products, in particular the RhinoSkin line. I appreciate your information regarding the growing industry of eBOOK READERs. As you are already aware, we do not currently have a case available for these devices nor have I been advised we will any time in the near future. I have, however, forwarded your information to our Product Development department. You will be notified by email if they come out with a case for the "READERs".
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #483
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks a lot wallcraft! I don't really understand what you have said, but it looks like at present it is harder than it needs to be, but it can be done most of the time.

Rather than philosophize about it, I'll just wait until the need comes up, and then ask a question.

Are their any readers whose firmware has taken care of this issue?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #484
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
If this is a concern of yours you might want to get Calibre. It is an ebook management system and library for your computer (Windows/Linux/Mac). One feature of it is that you can change metadata on your books and then 'republish' them as long as they don't have DRM. I haven't played around with margins, but this is supported in Calibre.

You could load all of your DRM-free books into Calibre, set new margins, and then tell it to 'convert' all of your books to update them with the new margins.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #485
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
You could load all of your DRM-free books into Calibre, set new margins, and then tell it to 'convert' all of your books to update them with the new margins.
Thanks for your responses, guys!

emellaich, I think that is what I wanted to know!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #486
HJS1977
HJS1977 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, HJS!

The 5" is only slightly smaller screen, but they are both 800x600. This means the 5" will have a higher pixel density, ergo a better resolution.

The 5" has twice the processing power (400MHz compared to the 6" 200MHz)
The 5" has 8 gray levels instead of the normal 4-level grayscale of the 6" unit.
The 5" unit supports 16GB sd card, where the 6" only supports 4GB
The 5" has the faster Epson controller which equal a much faster page turn, as compared to the 6" model.

Those are the main marketable differences between the 2 units, apart from the fact that the 5" device will also be much more portable. The 5" is also 40 bucks cheaper than it's slower big brother.
Thanks for the info griffonwig! I have now pre-ordered my reader and I am know I will be really happy that I did.
HJS1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #487
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I believe that Wallcraft answered this same question somewhere on some thread I was reading yesterday. Maybe this same one.

I believe that margins are largely set by Adobe and their Adobe Digital Editions. In the case that I am wrong, which is certainly more than possible, I will bring this up to my tech people and my factory. My head tech would know immediately but he is out of the country with a death in the family and we are limping along while he is gone.

May I get back on this to you?

Wallcraft: please help!!
The margins in an ePub eBook are set by the settings in the eBook. Without DRM, you are free to change the margins to suit your needs. Otherwise, you are stuck however the eBook was created. ADE does not have default margins and should not. Forcing margins is not a good idea. It should be on a book by book basis.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #488
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
With ePub on the EZ Reader, by default (i.e. if the ebook does not sprecify margins), text does fill virtually the entire screen, see scans of the screen. I like small margins, but these are too small in my opinion. I don't know if this is one of the issues that will be addressed by the next firmware release or not (it certainly can in principle be changed with a firmware upgrade).
Notice in your screen photos the ADE page number increasing in side as you increase the font? That same bug will be present in the Pocket Pro. I say bug because ADE is not supposed to increase the size of the right margin page numbers.

So before everyone rushes out to get a Pocket Pro, just remember that bug will exist when you get one.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #489
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Notice in your screen photos the ADE page number increasing in side as you increase the font? That same bug will be present in the Pocket Pro. I say bug because ADE is not supposed to increase the size of the right margin page numbers.

So before everyone rushes out to get a Pocket Pro, just remember that bug will exist when you get one.
Robert also mentioned that a new firmware is expected soon, with many requests from MR members. He cannot go into detail as to what will be added, but since this bug is device-specific to the EZR line, i am very hopeful that this is one of the updated being addressed.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 AM   #490
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
If you've never sat barefoot, with a cane pole, feet dangling in the water of a cool brook in an Arkansas forest, you ain't lived.
Close, it was in the Ozarks in southeast Missouri. But we didn't have any internet at the time. Instead of mail order crickets we'd use crawdad tails we'd gather from ditches by the road.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #491
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Robert also mentioned that a new firmware is expected soon, with many requests from MR members. He cannot go into detail as to what will be added, but since this bug is device-specific to the EZR line, i am very hopeful that this is one of the updated being addressed.
And do you remember the rule of buying a reader? Buy it for what it does now, not what it might do later on? Granted, this is not Bookeen, but still, we have no experience with Astak as far as promised firmware updates go to fix bugs.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #492
Chuckwade87
Connoisseur
Chuckwade87 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle/Sony PRS 505
What is the Pocket Pro made of ? plastic or Metal like the 505?
Chuckwade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #493
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Close, it was in the Ozarks in southeast Missouri. But we didn't have any internet at the time. Instead of mail order crickets we'd use crawdad tails we'd gather from ditches by the road.
The crickets I purchased weren't for fishing. They are food for my bearded dragon, Khyda.

Quote:
And do you remember the rule of buying a reader? Buy it for what it does now, not what it might do later on? Granted, this is not Bookeen, but still, we have no experience with Astak as far as promised firmware updates go to fix bugs.
Certainly, I am familiar with that rule. However, if your ONLY reasong to purchase the PEZ is the 'possibility' of ADE number change, then wait.

However, if you like everything the reader delivers, it's format support, features like TTS, fast controller, and large SD card support, then by all means, order now and save with the special deal they are offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwade87 View Post
What is the Pocket Pro made of ? plastic or Metal like the 505?
It is a plastic casing.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #494
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
....Granted, this is not Bookeen, but still, we have no experience with Astak as far as promised firmware updates go to fix bugs.
Maybe not, but just consider this. I have seen numerous excellent-customer -suervice tales on these forums.

Robert has mentioned several times that he constantly brings up threads, emailing threads and ideas, to Astak departments and employees.

MobileRead isn't just being used as a marketing tool for Astak company, and Robert isn't just here to play salesman. MR is also a 3rd party R&D/Brainstorming forum. Someone has an idea, something that needs to be addressed to make things run smoother, Robert gets a PM or a threadpost, and it gets sent to the right department.

What other company do you know of that would put their colour-selection into the hands of unpaid, internet-forum members? Astak is doing something that I have not seen any other recent company do, and that is let the people have a say in what they want.

You want a non-standard blue colour? Sure! What's this? You want a pastel pink device? and purple? Done! Done!

They are listening, and they are following through, and I am willing to bet that they are still going to listen and respond. This is one reason that I jumped on the Astak bandwagon. The fact that Robert put himself out here amongst the rabble, willing to take a bullet for a product he believes in.

I'm sold.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #495
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:

There is a lot of talk about this bug with the page number; however I never noticed it while reading (it had to be pointed out to me here that it was happening), and it did not detract at all from my reading experience.

Basically, if it can be considered a bug, it really has no bearing on the devices operation. Also Robertb has said a new firmware is on the way, and this most likely will correct this.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote