Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
sk2003
Enthusiast
sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sk2003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Question eReader Commuting Tips?

I'm thinking of bringing my Kobo Aura H2O with me on the bus for my daily commute. I have the Kobo leather (?) case and a sleeve for it. Still, I can't help but worry for its well-being. eReaders are notoriously fragile. It seems like one small bump can destroy delicate e-ink screens. Those of you who travel with eReaders everywhere, how do you protect yours?

My daily commute involves three long and bumpy bus rides. I'm worried the bumpiness will affect the Kobo's screen or inner SD card.
sk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Slimfit cover for my Aura and into my bag, that's all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Stop worrying and enjoy your Kobo.

Eink screens are fragile but they're not that fragile and a cover/sleeve combo is more than sufficient. I've tossed ereaders of various kinds in covers into all sorts of bags over the years on a daily basis and the only time I broke one was when I dropped it face down on a slate floor. Oopsy!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've had eInk devices since 2007 and always carried them back and forth to work and various places. Never had one break. It's mainly common sense stuff. Don't throw them into a bag full of stuff where an impact might be made with the screen (especially hard objects) or the device frame might be subjected to twisting. They can also be susceptible to extreme temperatures so keep that in mind.

For myself my most recent eInk device is a three year old Aura HD that I put in a soft sleeve when not using. When carrying in a bag I put it on top/in front of everything else (just maybe a few papers and file folders) with the screen side facing in. Breakage hasn't ever been an issue. I treat it with care, but don't wrap it in bubble wrap (so to speak).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a bag I carry my H2O in and it keeps it safe. I can also carry other stuff as well. A smallish messenger bag would do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I use a case with a hard(ish) outer shell, where the ereader is suspended in rubber mounts away from the shell, for transporting my Glo. (I posted a picture here, way back when I first bought it.)

I don't like reading with any sort of case or cover on the ereader, but this one suits me because it is quick and easy to remove the ereader from the case, and to put it back afterwards.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:02 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Aren't you going to be reading on the bus? If so, you holding it will be shock absorber enough. Unless you drop it. And if the bus is that bumpy that there is a risk of dropping the device, it's probably bumpy enough to make it hard to hold the ereader still enough to read.

For the walks between the buses, I recommend a good cover. Personally, I put the ereader in a pocket as I walk. That's a lot safer than carrying it through crowds and easier than putting into my backpack.

When the ereader does go into my backpack, it is well protected. It is a laptop backpack with very good protection. The laptop is in its pocket, against it's lid is my iPad and then the ereader goes on top of that.

And for the record, my commute is bus (5 minutes), train (55 minutes), bus (15 minutes) with a couple of minutes walk and 5-10 minutes wait. None of them are bumpy, so holding the ereader is safe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Could you go with something like this, if the trip is so bumpy, to help keep it in your hand if your grip were to loosen for some reason?

https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Security-...1NSV3M20MPGS20
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I commute every day for several hours and always bring my e-reader with me, never had a screen break in 4 years. Beside keeping it in a case, when I put it into my bag I make sure it doesn't move around too much - I put it into my backpack's laptop sleeve or between two textbooks/notebooks, and when I put it into my purse I make sure it's on top of everything. Overall I don't give it much thought, no more than my smartphone at least.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I often keep one of my Kobo Aura's (first generation) in my trouser pocket when I know I'll be reading a lot. I have one in a cover and one without a cover and the one without is more comfortable so I carry that one.

This past week I've been reading on my Voyage so I took the cover off it to make it more comfortable in my pocket. I've always done this off and on. Not enough so I can say I've really tested this but enough to know these things are safe with reasonable care.

I once had a Kindle scratched when I loaned it to a neighbor with a dog. It had a sturdy cover but that didn't help. Once I dropped a tablet on the pavement and broke the screen. It didn't have a cover but I'm not sure one would have saved it. Other than that in all the years I've been using these things I've had no problems.

I am fairly careful but only that. I'm really not meticulous.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
antistar
Connoisseur
antistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beautyantistar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PRS-500, dr800sg, prs-950, MS SP3, Boox i86ML, Sony Z3TC, KV, Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've had eInk devices since 2007 and always carried them back and forth to work and various places. Never had one break. It's mainly common sense stuff. Don't throw them into a bag full of stuff where an impact might be made with the screen (especially hard objects) or the device frame might be subjected to twisting. They can also be susceptible to extreme temperatures so keep that in mind.
Same here. I've been through several eink devices since 2007. None of them had a broken screen. I carried them around in my bag without any cover/sleeve. Just don't put them together with something protruding that may put concentrated pressure to the eink surface. The build quality of my Boox i86ml is somewhat questionable, and it sometimes just stops responding/charging. When that happens, I'll give it a few good spanks on the back to bring it round. The screen is still working fine after two years
antistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #12
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I carry an ereader in my purse whereever I go. I always get a case for them, one with a flip over cover. I've never cracked a screen yet. I always make sure they're in either a separate pocket in the purse or that everything fits snuggly in the purse so that the ereader doesn't slide around.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've been carrying my kindle keyboard with me everywhere for about 5 yrs including to work everyday by bus. I never used a cover. I just put it in a padded oven mitt in my bookbag that I use as a purse along with groceries, lunch, whatever else I need to carry. Not the slightest problem with my reader in spite of my bag being tossed around, kicked under my workbench and the like. Don't worry so much, Just don't drop the reader onto a hard floor, step or sit on it, or don't use something to protect the screen if tossed in among items that might scratch the screen.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

I don't like reading with any sort of case or cover on the ereader.
I dont either. I bought a Kindle case for my Kobo, it had a sticky substance on it which keeps the reader in place but when you tear it off (tearing being the operative word) it leaves a residue on the back of the reader. Not good. I've considered just getting a slip case but they are few and far between, these days.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:30 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Could you go with something like this, if the trip is so bumpy, to help keep it in your hand if your grip were to loosen for some reason?

https://www.amazon.com/TFY-Security-...1NSV3M20MPGS20
NO! Using that would mean the Kindle has no case. It means you have to attach the thing, use the Kindle, finish using the Kindle, and then take it off and put back the case. Not worth the hassle. Plus it would be really annoying to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote