Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
What happens to my digital content when I die

Has this been discussed ,and are there any recommendaions, for owned kindle ,music, video content at amazon.
Afaik you cannot create a joint account, and while you can de drm kindle books, for now anyway, you can't for video. So it it a case of leaving passwords in an envelope, or in a will, or are there better solutions.
Does amazon have a stated policy, yet.
I feel bad about asking does anyone have personal experience of having to sort this....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
No idea. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest asking Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Just my five cents, based on logic reasoning only.

The merchandise that I buy is rights of access to something. I believe that this is the right concept we buy. Now, these rights of access are or are not mine?

If they are mine, I have some rights over them, for instance I may have the right to leave them as inheritance. But there are rights that I do not have. I cannot sell these rights to a third party, if I am correct.

So, it may simply be the case that these rights of access are not transmissible as part of my inheritance.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you go to Heaven, then presumably there is Cloud access there and you can continue to read.

One option is to set up Family Library, then the other account holder has access to your audiobook and ebook collections on devices registered to them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201620400
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I asked Google which said amazon do not have a policy.
And it is not just amazon. I morbidly realise that I have a lot of stuff that is digital or is on a credit card subscription.
I checked on both netflix and spotify and neither can be funded from a joint bank account using uk direct debits.

Amazon is the main place I have owned digital protected content. But it would be reassuring at our age if all the Netflix type services could be be linked to joint accounts. A credit card can have a secondary cardholder but often that is a simple separate number so not ideal for subscription continuity

There are also the google accounts which own our tablet apps. There's some paid for stuff there

And there's not a lot of point to having stashed a lifetime of family photos in Google and Amazon clouds if the accounts go when I go ! Maybe they should all go onto hard drives in the attic, that seems backward, somehow.

Last edited by stumped; 06-10-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Philzilla
Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I doubt you will care, so don't worry about it.
Philzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

I don't have Apple but I read horror stories of family being denied access to apple cloud stuff or not allowed to unlock iPhones, ipads, ipods even after mailing in death certificates

Losing access to protected music or books that relatives may not like anyway is one thing.

Losing family photos and videos which were thought to be Safe in a cloud is something else
Old 06-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
I doubt you will care, so don't worry about it.
I do care about not being able to avoid leaving a digital and subscription mess

You could say why write a will, as you won't be around to care about that either.

I am inclined to write a long list of what services need to be kept alive or transferred plus the codes and instructions for doing that.
Internet, Amazon incl prime cloud storage, Netflix , spotify family, Google drive, apps, Gmail...

Stick around for ten years and that list could grow tenfold...
Old 06-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I don't have Apple but I read horror stories of family being denied access to apple cloud stuff or not allowed to unlock iPhones, ipads, ipods even after mailing in death certificates

Losing access to protected music or books that relatives may not like anyway is one thing.

Losing family photos and videos which were thought to be Safe in a cloud is something else
Share the family photos with someone now.
Don't just leave them in any cloud.
Oh and here in the US, debit cards on the same account have different numbers but credit cards are the same number for all users on that credit card account.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Traditionally, I as backer up in chief have made multiple family photo backups. But in each recent years the newer phone cameras take larger and larger images. My wife's photo collection for 2016 was as large as the previous ten years combined.

If the trend continues, cloud will be the only sensible solution.

I just re googled some of the Apple stories where they want the dearth cert, the will, the original purchase receipt of the device AND a court order to unlock after someone has died suddenly without passing on their Apple id
E.g.
http://gizmodo.com/mother-bequeaths-...-it-1537274680
Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Make sure someone else has your passwords then they can keep the account going or transfer the photos to their preferred saving method.
We back ours up on SD cards.
I have a cousin that put all theirs on CD, then another family member shared them all on Facebook so everyone that wanted could get a copy.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #13
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Google has a nice set up. I set mine for 6 mos after there is no activity on my account it alerts my daughter and she will get access to everything I have with google--books, uploaded/purchased music, movies/videos, google drive files, etc.
I no longer buy any digital movies at Amazon. Look for Ultraviolet movies at Vudu which can be accessed from different providers. It astounds me that Amazon will not join the Ultraviolet or the Disney Movies Anywhere option for that matter. Bad idea to be limited to one vendor with any digital content.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
Google has a nice set up. I set mine for 6 mos after there is no activity on my account it alerts my daughter and she will get access to everything I have with google--books, uploaded/purchased music, movies/videos, google drive files, etc.
I no longer buy any digital movies at Amazon. Look for Ultraviolet movies at Vudu which can be accessed from different providers. It astounds me that Amazon will not join the Ultraviolet or the Disney Movies Anywhere option for that matter. Bad idea to be limited to one vendor with any digital content.
Quote:
I do care about not being able to avoid leaving a digital and subscription mess

You could say why write a will, as you won't be around to care about that either.

I am inclined to write a long list of what services need to be kept alive or transferred plus the codes and instructions for doing that.
Internet, Amazon incl prime cloud storage, Netflix , spotify family, Google drive, apps, Gmail...

Stick around for ten years and that list could grow tenfold...
Quote:
Has this been discussed ,and are there any recommendaions, for owned kindle ,music, video content at amazon.
Afaik you cannot create a joint account, and while you can de drm kindle books, for now anyway, you can't for video. So it it a case of leaving passwords in an envelope, or in a will, or are there better solutions.
Does amazon have a stated policy, yet.
I feel bad about asking does anyone have personal experience of having to sort this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No idea. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.
It depends on the laws of the country you live in.
They differ.

In the USA, you can pass on or sell (or give away) a printed book that you own -
But not (yet) with electronic media that you own the rights to.

So if in the USA, don't worry about it, it is (currently) a non-problem.
When you are gone, so are your rights to electronic media.
(Same, same reason nobody can inherit your Windows license, nor do you find used e-books sold in a used book store. It all goes back to some court decisions in the days of electronic game cartridges, you'll likely be dead before the courts "get it right".)

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2017 at 04:10 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My kids have my account name and password but I doubt they're ready to read what I read. What I do know is they won't have to box up hundreds of books and get rid of them.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote