Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
XxKryoxX
XxKryoxX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
USB Network help?

I am seeing alot of talk about something called USB Network for kindle, and I think you can use it on a kindle paperwhite. If so, can someone give me a link to where you install the usb network, and possible instructions on how to use it?
I can't seem to find the download, or anything on how to use it :P
XxKryoxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You need to check the developer sub forum. Check the stickys there first, and also check out the wiki. For USBNetwork check out the thread: Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.1.x & 5.2.0 JailBreak
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKryoxX View Post
I am seeing alot of talk about something called USB Network for kindle, and I think you can use it on a kindle paperwhite. If so, can someone give me a link to where you install the usb network, and possible instructions on how to use it?
I can't seem to find the download, or anything on how to use it :P
I believe that it is a hackers tool, not for the average reader. If u do not know what u are doing u may brick your New PW.

Though you can play video on your Kindle if u do suss it out. But for most users they just want custom fonts and screensavers and a better PDF reader or cool reader etc.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
While you're right that it's probably not the best idea for an average user to install usbnetwork and do things that they don't understand, it's not a "hacker's tool" in any way. It's simply a way to get command line access to the kindle operating system. That's totally normal and basic functionality for any Linux system. But yes, it does allow to shoot yourself in the foot if you're not careful.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
For the curious:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8

And:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind..._networking_UN

Both of which are indexed in our index system.

Last edited by knc1; 12-31-2012 at 07:16 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Thank you knc1. The first post you linked probably says the most important thing right at the beginning:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Complete beginning to end instructions for usbnet are not available and one has to piece the needed steps from documentation and forum posts and mix in some experimentation.

The only complain I have is the wiki. Of course I don't expect full documentation, but one link in there would be nice: a link towards at least download location of usbnetwork for Kindle Touch / PW. That is the main reason I did not simply link to the wiki in post #2. I think that if you did not already know or seen it before, it is really hard to find - even if employing search in the forum.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you knc1. The first post you linked probably says the most important thing right at the beginning:

The only complain I have is the wiki. Of course I don't expect full documentation, but one link in there would be nice: a link towards at least download location of usbnetwork for Kindle Touch / PW. That is the main reason I did not simply link to the wiki in post #2. I think that if you did not already know or seen it before, it is really hard to find - even if employing search in the forum.
Correct -
As a quick fix - a summary here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...01&postcount=7

If a person searches hard enough and long enough they will find the thread that **was supposed** to contain the step-by-step noobie to ssh guide.

Only the author never completed the thread by posting the directions.
(Which is why it never got indexed.)

Author to blame: knc1

Go here and grab the 'raw' version:
http://hg.minimodding.com/repos/lua/...le_install.pdf
Read only Part II, Section 2.2 - Client side.

That was going to be the source of the step-by-step directions that I never got around to converting into "Kindle Specific" and posting last spring.

Last edited by knc1; 12-31-2012 at 09:06 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote