Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
Nalgarryn
Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC; literati; Nook
Need Al Capone or WW2-era Teen Fiction for 13-yo Boy

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some fiction to pass onto a 13 year old boy who doesn't have a long history of reading. I am reticent to suggest adult fiction because I think his vocabulary needs some buttressing before he gets to it (and I would prefer to avoid strong adult themes!). He has expressed an interest in Mafioso, Prohibition, and World War Two settings. I appreciate any feedback I receive. He has an Android tablet so naturally e-books are fine, but I would not have a problem borrowing from the library if there are good works unavailable in electronic format.

Nalgarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try the "Biggles" books by Captain W.E. Johns. Excellent "boy's own adventure"-type books set in both WWI and WWII (the first one was published in 1932). Lots available as eBooks. True classics.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-02-2013 at 04:06 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I just finished reading "Isle Royale" by John Hamilton -- it's a YA with a boy protagonist, and takes place during the 1930's. It involves smugglers, and is a good adventure that takes place in Lake Superior (mainly on the Isle Royale of the title!) It was a fun read.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Nalgarryn
Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nalgarryn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC; literati; Nook
Thank you both, I'll look into it! If anyone has other suggestions I'm glad to hear them... I'm not sure how picky a reader he may be.
Nalgarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Black Duck is a terrific book about Prohibition and smuggling set in Rhode Island; I read it as reading buddy with my middle-school niece for a school program. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Duck-Jan.../dp/0142409022
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
The Book Thief (which has a female protagonist, but I'd think would appeal to boys as well.)

Both set in WWII, and both are pretty recently written.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
There are two books by Gennifer Choldenko that take place on Alcatraz and are for mid-grade readers - Al Capone Does My Shirts and Al Capone Shines My Shoes.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalgarryn View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some fiction to pass onto a 13 year old boy who doesn't have a long history of reading. I am reticent to suggest adult fiction because I think his vocabulary needs some buttressing before he gets to it (and I would prefer to avoid strong adult themes!). He has expressed an interest in Mafioso, Prohibition, and World War Two settings. I appreciate any feedback I receive. He has an Android tablet so naturally e-books are fine, but I would not have a problem borrowing from the library if there are good works unavailable in electronic format.

don't know whether this one sails too close to adult themes, in the sense that here war starts as an adventure but then you do see war (though nothing gross), but Italo Calvino's The path to the spider's nest is a great WW2 book, with a teenager as protagonist, and as I also founded listed in teenagers book list (e.g. here it should fit the bill
http://www.amazon.com/Path-Spiders-N.../dp/0060956585

A great read for adults, too
paola is offline   Reply With Quote