Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Kindle Touch-Fonts, Accessories, Latest Firmware.....

Hi all.

I recently purchased a Kindle Touch.

Prior to this, I had the Nook Simple Touch. I returned it because once upgraded to 1.1.0 it would no longer open my Study Bible.

The Kindle Touch opens the file just fine, which is great. However, I have some questions:

1. Are there any other fonts available to load on the Kindle Touch? This has a very poor selection as compared to the Nook Touch

2. What is the latest firmware? My Kindle Touch says v 5.0.1

3. Where I can purchase decent priced cover and a separate reader light

4. Battery: Is there a way to actually see what & of battery is remaining? (The Nook products show this)
My seems to be getting lower even when I'm not using, but it's hard to tell since it doesn't tell the %

5. Feedback on your experiences with the Kindle Touch.

Thanks,
LymeGal
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VineGal View Post
Hi all.

I recently purchased a Kindle Touch.

Prior to this, I had the Nook Simple Touch. I returned it because once upgraded to 1.1.0 it would no longer open my Study Bible.

The Kindle Touch opens the file just fine, which is great. However, I have some questions:

1. Are there any other fonts available to load on the Kindle Touch? This has a very poor selection as compared to the Nook Touch

2. What is the latest firmware? My Kindle Touch says v 5.0.1

3. Where I can purchase decent priced cover and a separate reader light

4. Battery: Is there a way to actually see what & of battery is remaining? (The Nook
products show this)
My seems to be getting lower even when I'm not using, but it's hard to tell since it doesn't tell the %

5. Feedback on your experiences with the Kindle Touch.

Thanks,
LymeGal
1. There are "hacks" available that allow use of additional fonts. I have not done this but others here will point you in the right direction.

2. My KTouch firmware is 5.0.3 you can download the latest on Amazon's website, Manage Your Kindle => Support.

3. I use the Amazon lighted leather cover and absolutely love it. By the time you find a light and cover you like the combined cost will be similar, or greater, than the Amazon cover. There are many covers available as well as lights. The Octovo Solis is excellent -- the same light as in the Amazon cover. Look in the accessories sub-forum here for more info. There are loads of covers available on Amazon, or you can splurge on yourself at oberondesign.com.

4. Battery life is outstanding with the e-ink Kindles and worrying about percentages is unnecessary. I read daily and charge my KT about once every three weeks or so. When the icon gets below half you still have a LOT of mileage left. It's really a non-issue.

5. All I can say is that I love, love, love my Kindle Touch (and I still use a DX and have kept my K keyboard as well). For me, it's the perfect weight and dimension. Honestly, I first looked at/tried the Nook Simple Touch and did not like it one bit -- it did not feel right to me. Of course, this is all subjective. I could not be happier with the KT but I urge you to try the Amazon lighted leather cover as it fits like a glove and is nearly invisible when reading. Always having an integrated light available (and any drain on the battery is negligible) is invaluable.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
4. Battery: Is there a way to actually see what & of battery is remaining? (The Nook products show this)
Make sure you switch the Wi-Fi connection off, as this conserves the battery, just turn it on when you need to sync with whispernet to download books or updates.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
... and when you first load a book the kindle indexes it in the background so you can do searches. This means that if you have a new kindle and load a lot of books at once, you may see the battery life run down faster as it indexes. After a charge or two it will get back to normal.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Hi all!

Thanks for your feedback regarding the Kindle Touch.

At this point, I think I will be returning it.

Things I liked
1. Size and weight
2. Ability to change font/size (although choices limited) versus a physical paper book.
2. Article Mode
3. Finding great free reads from Amazon

Cons (at least for me)
1. The contrast was too low on the screen. It had a tinted green background, so even in light, it was difficult to read on
2. Lack of font choices
3. Non backlit screen
4. Others I can think of right now.

I think some type of tablet device will be better suited for me.
I actually don't mind reading on a backlit screen. Also, I like having the additional functionality.

I have a chronic illness and need to be able to access research/information in an electronic format instead of lugging around all my personal documents, large books related to my illness, etc.

So, now I'm needing to seek another device.

I'll post this in a separate thread.

VineGal
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Cons (at least for me)
1. The contrast was too low on the screen. It had a tinted green background, so even in light, it was difficult to read on
2. Lack of font choices
3. Non backlit screen
4. Others I can think of right now.
1. There seem to be various batches of the KT out there. I hear quite a few complaints recently about the contrast, while others are praising crystal-clear high-contrast displays.... Fortunately, my device obviously belongs to the second category. Unfortunately, yours seems to be in the first...

2. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...38#post1962538

3. That's a matter of taste, if not an almost philosophical one. I purchased the Kindle specifically because it isn't backlit and is much easier on the eyes than LCD. In any case, this is something that you knew before purchasing.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch