Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #91
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
multiprose

It is not so that Apps2SD is needed for space only - some apps (like voice applications and some readers) expect this functionality to be present, otherwise install fails. I have memory on my device completely re-partitioned to save me the troubles of using Link2SD which does not belong to Android proper - would like to stay as close to original code as possible.

Yes, I've seen the video and yes - theoretically it is possible to do something like that for most if not all dragging and scrolling. However doing it properly and cleanly requires very heavy lifting inside of Android framework. Benefits of this effort are not that great - for most people who simply would like to read.

It is much easier to do on application to application basis - the way Freescale originally intended.

Last edited by rupor; 04-09-2012 at 06:10 PM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #92
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Rupor Package

I installed the rooting package and am happy with it.

I have two small issues:

1. The time zones are off by one (London GMT+1) etc. but when I select the right zone (eg Belgium) it works as it should.

2. With the Boroda minimal root Google Play used to detect the device as PRS-T1. Now it detects simply as "Phone".
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #93
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

In my latest firmware Android zoneinfo database is up to date (tzdata2012b) - I am not sure I really understand what you are saying here. According to http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136 London GMT+1 is exactly right due to daylight saving.

I did not put "Google Play" into firmware and I do not have it on my reader. In addition I have no idea where to get one you are using. So I am afraid you are on your own - would like to hear any information on this however, may be it is not totally useless on the reader after all
Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #94
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

I guess that the time zone "issue" is a question of daylight savings time.

Regarding the second issue. I installed froyo android market on the reader from the link in the wiki. Now when I visit google play (the new name for market) on the computer it gives me the option to send to "Phone" instead to "PRS-T1" even though in the "About phone" in settings there is model number: PRS-T1. Shouldn't be a big issie except for those apps which customise behaviour according to the device.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #95
miketrevis
miketrevis began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-t1
Back to the original topic:
anybody find a way? i think that could be coul an apk-service that start the no-refresh-mode every time i slide on the screen and refresh when al is stopped. This i think is the browser way.

any idea? anybody can analize the browser apk to make this apk service?
there is in your opinion other ways? do you think that every app has to be modded to work in this way? (i dont know...)
miketrevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #96
entodoays
Zealot

I has installed rupor package AMR 20120325 and 20120327 (App2SD). Then I installed a number of applications.
Is it safe to flash the latest package AMR 20120509 without unrooting? Do I have to install the other intermediary packages before?
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #97
rupor
meat popsicle

Yes - just install on top, it is safe...
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #98
entodoays
Zealot

Thanks rupor
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #99
entodoays
Zealot

Rupor,

Since I installed your package I'm having occasional problems with the content manager crashing.

I use Calibre to download news every day. Since the news issues accumulate I clean the list periodically by selecting all the news items except the last one and delete all at one go.

The first time I did it after I installed your package dated 20120325 followed by App2sd. I deleted a lot of news items in different news categories and the unit crashed imposing a reboot. When I did it seems the database was empty and it started rebuilding it from scratch (all the books were marked as "new" after and all the annotations lost).

I upgraded to 20120512 and then to 20120513. The problem is still there.

Hope this helps solve the problem and if I could help somehow let me know.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #100
rupor
meat popsicle

entodoays
I do not use Calibre and I do not use news, so please, install Android System Info and collect logcat logs at the time of the crush - than make it available. This is the only way I would possible able to see what is going on...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #101
entodoays
Zealot

Regarding the issue in #99 above I did some tests.

I noticed that content manager was reacting slowly. I therefore deleted the books.db file, shutdown the T1 and restarted it.
I waited until the "Loading" sign disappeared from the top bar. All the books where correctly detected, but obviously the thumbnails vanished.
I went through the library and the T1 started showing the thumbnails page after page. Then I deleted a book which I didn't need. At this point something strange happened, some books started showing the thumbnail of another book.
I tried to export logs but Android System information said "loading" until the T1 went on sleep. Exporting the logs gave me an empty log file.
This proves that this issue is not related to Calibre.
Another thing that might help. The epubs in the "periodicals" section do not show in the recently read list on the start page. Only those in the books section.
Hope this helps to solve this bug.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #102
rupor
meat popsicle

Periodicals is not supposed to be visible in Recently read or in auto-collections. It is not a bug - it is a feature. It is done on purpose, since there is a separate collection for periodicals.

I will take a look and try to reproduce what you are describing with regular books when I have a chance. Would not be able to do it with periodicals - since I do not have or use them at all. I did not touched code to handle them - so I think you would run into the same issues with original Sony software, but I am not sure...

And finally - I've seen some strange behavior from Content Manager scan when some of the books were corrupted. I already attempted to improve this a bit, but quite possibly not enough.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #103
entodoays
Zealot

I don't think that is related to corrupted books since the problem arose when I deleted a book and not a periodical. It seems that the database gets mixed up somehow. Presently many of my books are showing a different book's thumbnail.
I've uploaded quite a number of pdf's as well, some of which are unreadable by the Reader application. In these cases, no thumbnail is produced and if I try to open it with reader I get an "invalid page!" error. I read these pdf's on my pc with foxit reader, evince or with Orion pdf viewer on the T1.
An example pdf file unreadable by the "Reader" app is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gesché - Dieu pour penser - Le Christ(subst).pdf (449.6 KB, 761 views)

Last edited by entodoays; 06-12-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #104
RefUser
himself
RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PRS-T1,Nokia N900
Hi, I'm trying to adapt my pdf reader to the PRS T1. Since it is in C++ (Qt) I'd like to set the update mode using JNI. Do you think code like this (based on hberntsen's apk) could work, or do you see any fundamental flaw/possible improvements?

Edit:Turns out that it didn't work. Some useful subclass of Context (like Activity) is needed, however a plain Activity fails too (throws a NullPointerExeption, when I try to create the Listview with it). Is it possible to create Activities in JNI without subclassing them?

Code:
#include <jni.h>
extern JavaVM* jvm;

void setUpdateMode(int mode){
	JNIEnv *jenv;
	jvm->AttachCurrentThread(&jenv, NULL);
	//Context is too abstract, some kind of Activity needed
	jclass ctext_cls = jenv->FindClass("android/content/Context");
	jmethodID ctext_ctr = jenv->GetMethodID(ctext_cls,"<init>", "()V");
	jobject ctext = jenv->NewObject(ctext_cls, ctext_ctr);

jclass lview_cls = jenv->FindClass("android/widget/ListView");
	jmethodID lview_ctr = jenv->GetMethodID(lview_cls,"<init>", "(Landroid/content/Context;)V");
	jmethodID invMethod = jenv->GetMethodID(lview_cls, "invalidate","(I)V");
	jobject lview = jenv->NewObject(lview_cls, lview_ctr, ctext);

jenv->CallVoidMethod(lview,invMethod,mode);
}

Last edited by RefUser; 10-21-2012 at 11:56 AM.
RefUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #105
RefUser
himself
RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!RefUser , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PRS-T1,Nokia N900
Since I wasn't able to set the mode (s.a.), I now draw only the outlines of columns of pdf page which works without a full refresh in most cases. In addition drawing a curve on the screen (for ink annotations) almost never provokes a full refresh.

Do you know of any parameters (e.g. number of changed pixels, size of changed area (in the sense of a convex hull)) which determine whether a full refresh is performed or not in the AUTO mode? Is switching black to white different from white to black?

PS: I created a thread for my program in the pdf section, if you like to test it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194502
(it uses Qt, which needs ~25Mb so you'll need a reformatted reader or Link2SD).
RefUser is offline   Reply With Quote