Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Best reader for comics?

I've got a Pocketbook 360, an iPad, an Archos 70b & an Archos Home Internet tablet. I bought the first for reading books, the second primarily for comics & magazine subscriptions. The last two were bought because I thought that I could read comics (as well as books) on them using Droid Comic Reader at home or on holiday. Unfortunately the version available for the Archos is unable to open all CBR or CBZ files often posting memory errors. The best apps for comics appear to be on the iPad but I don't really fancy taking this on holiday.

I have considered buying the IQ but again Droid would appear to be the only option and that is restricted until the firmware is 2.2 or higher (and according to the ACV forum the latest version of the app is still displaying memory errors).

So can anyone recommend a decent colour reader (and app) for cbr/cbz comics? Or are tablets the better option?

Last edited by davebalme; 06-03-2011 at 05:32 AM.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
rooted nookcolor
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
rooted nookcolor
Don't even have to root, just book off the mSD card. That way you can revert back if you need to make a warranty claim at some point. I run CM7 on my Nook from mSD card.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
A nook color with the Perfect Viewer app is a good option. If you want to spend a little more, you can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab wifi and use the same app.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Pato
Pato began at the beginning.

Device: PSP, Jwin 700
Which is the best to read on portrait mode. 4:3 or 16:9 screen?
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
As others have said, the Nook Color doesn't have native support for cbr/cbz (and probably won't get it given the number of standalone "graphic novels" in the B&N app store), but it's ridiculously easy to install a full Android Gingerbread ROM on SD and use any app you like without even endangering warranty. At that point you have a capable Android tablet with a gorgeous screen and travel-friendly form factor. I haven't been using it much for CBR/CBZ as I'm at home a lot and my PC is great for those, but it's killer for web comics over at http://www.webcomicsnation.com/

The display is so sharp, when I encounter an article longer than a page on my home PC, I often pick up the NC and find the article on there for a more comfortable read.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I am sorry, but Nook Color screen actually isn't quite big enough to comfortably read comic book dialogue bubbles. The issue with comics is the dialogs. So, anything below 10" is too small.

I would suggest an iPad. You can get a good price for 1st gen iPads and there are wonderful apps for Comics there, for free! I have Stanza, Marvel, DC and Bookman.

Bonus: no need for rooting, it just works out of the box!

Last edited by jocampo; 06-04-2011 at 09:11 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I am sorry, but Nook Color screen actually isn't quite big enough to comfortably read comic book dialogue bubbles. The issue with comics is the dialogs. So, anything below 10" is too small.

I would suggest an iPad. You can get a good price for 1st gen iPads and there are wonderful apps for Comics there, for free! I have Stanza, Marvel, DC and Bookman.

Bonus: no need for rooting, it just works out of the box!
As much as I like my nook color, I have to agree with you... the iPad is much better for comic book and magazine reading.

There is a larger variety of comic book / magazine reader apps for iOS... many of them are free. Even though I'd like to use the nook in those situations, the iPad is just better for that.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
iPad
And I'll just send you back to the OP.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Pato

Ok, ipad 9.7" is the best. but what about 8.9" or 8"? Will it able to read the small bubbles without the need to zoom like 7"?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
Which is the best to read on portrait mode. 4:3 or 16:9 screen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
Ok, ipad 9.7" is the best. but what about 8.9" or 8"? Will it able to read the small bubbles without the need to zoom like 7"?
What's odd is, I found my old 10.1" netbook mostly inadequate for comics, but find the 7" NC pretty good (again mainly for webcomics so far). Partly I'm sure it's because the 7" screen has the same resolution as the 10.1" screen, and is IPS, more faithfully reproducing the colors and offering better viewing angles. Another factor is the accelerometer, which means anything that requires substantial zoom often just means rotating the device 90°.

Don't get me wrong--if I had a NC and an iPad in a room, I would pick up the iPad first to look at comics. But if it were the same room as my 22" monitor, I wouldn't pick up either, and if I were taking one or the other a significant distance and/or using public transport... almost definitely the NC. The reality of the current market is, there's rarely a single "the best for..." It all depends on how a device will augment the utility of what you already have and fit into your lifestyle.

The quality of the NC's screen means that it performs above and beyond its measured diagonal, but maybe that's still too small for you. I just installed Perfect Viewer and I'm trying out some cbr/cbz now, just to give a fuller review, and finding them outstanding. They're even sharper than the webcomics and make better use of the page. Now that I've tried PV, I will probably make more use of the NC for comics at home, 22" monitor be damned.

Again, if you need a mostly housebound device, no doubt the iPad would be better, but the NC has an outstanding screen (it benchmarks better than the iPad 2, whatever that's worth) and obviously the form factor has advantages for travelling and sustained use.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Pato

Thanks for the elaborate info. However, from where I live, getting a NC is an impossible task for now. Ipad is great but I need to sell a kidney to get one with 64gb. There's no way I'll get 16gb or 32gb due to non-existent memory expansion support.

I'm looking deeply into china made android tablets. They a have a lot of variants from 8 to 10.1" however I have great doubt on their product. I'm waiting for the Galaxy Tab 8.9" as 10.1" a tad to big I think.
The reason I'm so eager for 8.9" is because I have every Gantz issue in tankubon format at home. The size of the tankubon 8.9" and I feel it is perfect for reading. Bleach tankubon a bit smaller though. I wont mind paying a premium for a great screen, nice form factor and memory expansion slot.