Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
WWW: Wake (WWW Book 1) - Robert J. Sawyer

There may be some MINOR spoilers, but nothing that takes away from the enjoyment of reading, and the experience.

For what is considered a "young adult" science-fiction novel, it's pretty dense.

Caitlin was blind from birth, however, her condition is rare, in which her eyes work perfectly fine, it's the connection to her brain that isn't working. It doesn't know how to process what it sees so just stays dark.

Dr. Kuroda in Japan sees this and has created an implant that sits behind her left eye that tries to translate the images so that her brain can interpret them. The surgery is considered a failure, except for the fact that she can see the "World Wide Web". It seems that since she has used a computer since early on, the portion moved from the part of the brain that access that information to where site is interpreted. She soon then find a "consciousness" within the web.

Another side story is that a deadly strain of Bird Flu has come across China, the government shuts down the internet and outside connection to other countries in order to keep the fact they killed 10,000 people a secret, but all is not what it seems as hackers try to break through the "Great Firewall of China".

The other side story is that of "Hobo" a cross between a Chimpanzee and a Bonobo. This is probably the most endearing story of the whole book, from being taught sign-language, to making conceptualized artwork.

The concept is pretty cool, I like the idea that they eye can be just fine but the signal to the brain just isn't up to par.

The book really has NO ENDING. It's part one of a trilogy, and book 2 www:Watch picks up right where it left off. I have a feeling that these could all be one book. Either way, it's a dense read, there are alot of facts that are thrown your way regarding the Web and biology etc. I've heard these are Young Adult Books, I'm guessing because they deal with a Teenage Girl, but I really don't know...it's about a scientifically written as his other book I've read "Flashforward".

I'm currently going through the 2nd book now, and hope to have the 3rd book done by the end of the week. It's a great series so far, and I look-forward to finding out where they are all going with the separate stories, as so far they aren't really inter-connected.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
cool. thanks for the extra info. i have them but not on my current tbr list, maybe a summer read through for them.

the premise does sound interesting, unfortunately i have never read anything by him so i don't have anything to fall back on pertaining to writing style. guess i'll find out.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have heard of the TV Show "Flash Forward" it was based off his book of the same name. Unfortunately the ONLY thing they shared was one character name. I actually liked the TV Show better than the book. But the book was phenomenal in a different sort of way.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
the premise does sound interesting, unfortunately i have never read anything by him so i don't have anything to fall back on pertaining to writing style.
RJS is one of my favourite writers and I class him as being kind of like Isaac Asimov (but with better characterization for his characters; Asimov could be a bit cardboard with his in service of playing out the ideas in his plots).

He's got some free short stories to try up at his website. I'd say that The Hand You're Dealt, Identity Theft, You See But You Do Not Observe, and Just Like Old Times are his best, but The Shoulders of Giants and Star Light, Star Bright are closest to the flavour of the WWW books.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Very cool, thanks for the short stories!!
Advert