Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Post Sony Reader Daily Edition video

Via Sony Electronics Blog.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
oh. nice video. thanks for sharing that one!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Too bad they couldn't show the wireless in action.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
It looks like the screen is identical to PRS-600's.

It looks much thicker though.
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Wow,

An actual working version. I can't wait to read the comments here once members get their hands on them.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I just got a notice from Sony and updated the wiki page with the specifications for this product. Daily Edition The price, by the way, is $399. Pre-orders to begin shipping Dec 18th.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-19-2009 at 01:21 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I wish they had demonstrated how it handles pdfs.

Can't wait to see more for this release.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Am I the only one who thinks having a touch screen is not such a good idea? Doesn't that increase the chances of experiencing glare on the screen, (because of the extra protective glass/plastic that is required) ?
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No, you are not the only one.

But I am not among you.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 AM   #10
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukoan View Post
Am I the only one who thinks having a touch screen is not such a good idea? Doesn't that increase the chances of experiencing glare on the screen, (because of the extra protective glass/plastic that is required) ?
It does add another layer of glare at an additional angle to the normal glare all glass screens demonstrate. That said, it's not hard to deal with especially if you're not inundated by a plethora of overhead spot lighting. A slight tilt generally gets you going. Same deal is required for most any reader at this point (though most are less noticeable than these touchscreen devices.) The glare was never the real issue, imho on the PRS-700. The 700 had a very obvious blurring effect too. *THAT* is gone. But so is the built in lighting so pros & cons I guess.

Personally if I'm reading where I need a light I'd much rather have my iPhone running stanza with a low brightness setting than a 1980's digital wristwatch style frontlight, but that's just me.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #11
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
Personally if I'm reading where I need a light I'd much rather have my iPhone running stanza with a low brightness setting than a 1980's digital wristwatch style frontlight, but that's just me.
Yeah... I hear what you're saying. My first ebook experience was reading ereader db's on a palm tungsten t3, (or was it t2??? so long ago now ). It was very readable... no strain on the eyes at all... so long as I only read in dimly lit places (where the back-lighting of the screen actually benefited the experience). Anyway, since I got the 505 I've marveled at the fact that I could now read a digital book using my bedside lamp, or in the park... just like a real book. I think it would be a shame if that sort of "real book" flavor was compromised for the sake of giving these devices more functionality. I mean we don't crave extra "functionality" for real books. Why not keep these things simple too, and save or the cool tech tricks for devices like pda's and phones? I guess all the bells and whistles help companies push more devices off shelves... and I'm all for lifting the whole ebook industry more into the mainstream...

... I'm ranting aren't I

anyway... even though there's something nice about a zen like piece of gadgetry that does one thing, and does it well... it's sounds like the whole glare thing is a moot point with these newer touch-screen devices, which is good to hear.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Yeah... I hear what you're saying. My first ebook experience was reading ereader db's on a palm tungsten t3, (or was it t2??? so long ago now ). It was very readable... no strain on the eyes at all... so long as I only read in dimly lit places (where the back-lighting of the screen actually benefited the experience). Anyway, since I got the 505 I've marveled at the fact that I could now read a digital book using my bedside lamp, or in the park... just like a real book. I think it would be a shame if that sort of "real book" flavor was compromised for the sake of giving these devices more functionality. I mean we don't crave extra "functionality" for real books. Why not keep these things simple too, and save or the cool tech tricks for devices like pda's and phones? I guess all the bells and whistles help companies push more devices off shelves... and I'm all for lifting the whole ebook industry more into the mainstream...

... I'm ranting aren't I

anyway... even though there's something nice about a zen like piece of gadgetry that does one thing, and does it well... it's sounds like the whole glare thing is a moot point with these newer touch-screen devices, which is good to hear.
Firs thing, don't discount the glare. While, as I said, you can easily work around it and it doesn't eliminate the e-Ink benefit entirely like the PRS-700 did it's still there and it's still worse than other readers. It's just something to consider.

Personally I think having a touch screen makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is drawn annotations but also ditching the huge chunk of wasted space where a keyboard would inevitably sit for the sake of searches and annotations with text.

I'd rather deal with a special stylus and have a MagRes/Wacom style pen input though, just to get rid of that glare. So I'd actually consider looking at that IRex that is supposed to be out. Though I wouldn't consider it until they release completed software... and that could be forever.

All said, everyone has different needs and wishes and choice is awesome. I like having an e-Ink based reader around for times when I want that experience. I have a Kindle 2 now but will be replacing it soon as a suitable large screen reader is available on the market. That will make even more sense for me.

In the meantime though I am so used to reading news and email on my iPhone all day, reading a book is just fine, no eye strain or anything. In fact, in most of my regular reading areas, I get eye strain from the Kindle because of low light! Ironic?

As for single purpose devices... where is there one of those? None of the currently manufactured Sony or Amazon devices for reading eBooks are single use devices, they all have other features. At the very least they have audio playback so you can listen to music while you read. The kindles can browse wikipedia and more... They aren't PDAs but they aren't dedicated readers either. Maybe some more obscure reader I have never bothered to look into is dedicated... I guess that one wikipedia device is fairly dedicated. But dedicated devices are already extremely uncommon, I don't think anything is going to change there.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #13
zacheryjensen
Addict

Quote:
Oh and I just got to watching the video in the first post and I think it does a great job exemplifying the realistic glare. Basically, that glare you get when she points the thing at the camera is what you see in real life. That's what you're up against, and as you also saw in the zoomed in shots, just a slight angling fixes it. It can be a nuisance if you dwell on it but it becomes second nature otherwise. The biggest different between it and say, a Kindle screen is that due to the extra, differently refracting layer on the screen, it results in glare across almost the whole screen at once whereas on the Kindle or similar screens you'll get more of a spot effect requiring a bit less tilting to alleviate.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the video demonstrates that big concern surprisingly honestly.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Must confess, I knew nothing about the reader on first play of the vid -- couldn't keep my eyes off the pretty presenter and her smile. And what a lovely voice; the words themselves didn't register. Just re-ran the clip, though, and the SRDE is also very attractive. But I'm still happy with my no-problems 505 and it'll be some time, I think, before I'm in the market for a replacement. I don't feel the same need as do others for more than a single ereader at a time. Cheers and good luck to anyone who goes for this. Neikl
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheryjensen View Post
As for single purpose devices... where is there one of those? None of the currently manufactured Sony or Amazon devices for reading eBooks are single use devices, they all have other features. At the very least they have audio playback so you can listen to music while you read. The kindles can browse wikipedia and more... They aren't PDAs but they aren't dedicated readers either. Maybe some more obscure reader I have never bothered to look into is dedicated... I guess that one wikipedia device is fairly dedicated. But dedicated devices are already extremely uncommon, I don't think anything is going to change there.
First up, I think you hit the nail on the head about what you use the device for. For me it's purely reading... but for someone who want to make notes, look up words in a dictionary, etc then totally, yes, you couldn't do it without a touch screen.

And secondly... yes, all readers are not "purely" dedicated readers... as you said, some have at least audio playback... (505 as an example). But it's still relatively simple compared to others... which goes back to what the consumer wants from the experience. A software engineer who needs to read tech manuals and make notes would need something much more functional. A guy who listens to his ipod and reads bad sci-fi would probably prefer a 505 (or something similar).

But... I do stand by the fact that some of the best and most useful technology out there are the "gadgetry that does one thing". I have to clarify that my sentence wasn't being restricted to readers

http://bit.ly/1QGGLx

Tags
daily edition, prs-900