Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #271
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
i'm hoping that usb otg is enabled with the Jelly Bean update. i know it was on my oneX.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #272
Flippo
Flippo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Angry annoying sound

Hi guys, any news about this "buzzing" annoying sound?
Flippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #273
capjap
capjap began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
I hate that the Arc will not show up as a drive on my Mac. I am contemplating returning it since I can't easily load books to it since it won't mount as a drive
capjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #274
andreib
andreib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
Hi Filippo, I also got the buzzing sound (although more like an active cooler), but only at initializing the Arc and installing the system update. I didn't have it since.
andreib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #275
andreib
andreib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caneng99 View Post
I had an issue with connecting to my PC. I turned on windows explorer and it showed the device but no sub-directories and would not load anything.

I reset my PC media device default to Windows Media Player instead of Itunes (or VLC can't remember) and voila it worked. Had the same problem on two different computers and same solution. All Kobo could suggest was that I reset the Arc - not very helpful.

Over new year Best Buy in Canada had the 32 and 64 gig arcs at $50 off so I grabbed one then.

I love it.
Also had the problem connecting it to Windows PC (both Windows 7 and 8). Finally got it working after 2 factory resets
This experience makes me wonder about the quality of the Arc and Adroid devices in general...
andreib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #276
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Just encountered it last night, if you mean the buzzing from speakers (even when the volume's turned off) when you run programs, load pages in apps like Google Currents, etc... :/ (when this first came up, I thought people were just complaining about the electronic hum that virtually all devices have when you listen close) Haven't heard anything more about that one.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #277
NC1066
NC1066 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Just about to throw in the towel

Since buying my Arc I have tried to upload the 198 books, in mobi format, I have on my desktop. I have used Calibre to change them to Epub, followed all advice given to me & downloaded Aldiko, Kindle, Adobe et al. I have put 2 of the books in Arc/internal-storage/downloads & Arc/internal-storage/ kobo/epubs & still my Arc can not find them. Please does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? I am coming to the conclusion that I may as well take it back & get a Kobo Vox, put the 198 books on an SD card & read to my hearts content, as my highly amused wife is doing.
NC1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #278
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1066 View Post
Since buying my Arc I have tried to upload the 198 books, in mobi format, I have on my desktop. I have used Calibre to change them to Epub, followed all advice given to me & downloaded Aldiko, Kindle, Adobe et al. I have put 2 of the books in Arc/internal-storage/downloads & Arc/internal-storage/ kobo/epubs & still my Arc can not find them. Please does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? I am coming to the conclusion that I may as well take it back & get a Kobo Vox, put the 198 books on an SD card & read to my hearts content, as my highly amused wife is doing.
You can add them to Aldiko using the "file" icon in the Aldiko main menu. I don't have my tablet with me but I believe you will find the books in the "ebook" folder.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #279
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You can add them to Aldiko using the "file" icon in the Aldiko main menu. I don't have my tablet with me but I believe you will find the books in the "ebook" folder.
And, for the epubs (assuming DRM-free), you can place 'em on the Arc (pretty much anywhere - I, as usual, prefer to dump stuff into "Download") and use the Import Content option in the Kobo app to add them to your Kobo library, if you want to use their app. [just tested and it had no problems finding the book I placed in the Download directory]
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #280
NC1066
NC1066 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Found them, where else but in the 'down loads' folder. Eternally in your debt.

And yours JD. You guys make it seem so simple.

Last edited by NC1066; 01-15-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added content
NC1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #281
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Just encountered it last night, if you mean the buzzing from speakers (even when the volume's turned off) when you run programs, load pages in apps like Google Currents, etc... :/ (when this first came up, I thought people were just complaining about the electronic hum that virtually all devices have when you listen close) Haven't heard anything more about that one.
This would be caused by emi.

I haven't seen a teardown of the arc so I'm not sure if the speakers are shielded or not. I'm actually surprised it isn't worse considering the form factor.

I only noticed the buzzing when I put my ear right next to the speaker. Headphones don't produce it. It's a non-issue on my end.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #282
nmackinnon
nmackinnon began at the beginning.

I have a Sleep Cover for my Arc and I find that after reading and I close it (Sleep mode), the LED will eventually start blinking blue or sometimes remain solid blue which is irritating in the darkened bedroom. I wake up in the morning and it is solid blue.
I have no internet in my house, WiFi or otherwise. What is it doing? I haven't found this info in the manual.
nmackinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #283
Flippo
Flippo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
I've sent the email to kobohelp about buzzing sound, because they helped me with my Kobo wifi straightaway. They told me that nobody wrote them about the same problem till now, so they forwarded my email to another kobo team2, so Im waiting for response. It's really weird that nobody wrote them email about this issue. It means probably only few pieces havethe issue with this annoying sound.
Flippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #284
Akyth
Akyth began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
I've sent the email to kobohelp about buzzing sound, because they helped me with my Kobo wifi straightaway. They told me that nobody wrote them about the same problem till now, so they forwarded my email to another kobo team2, so Im waiting for response. It's really weird that nobody wrote them email about this issue. It means probably only few pieces havethe issue with this annoying sound.
Hello there ! I did write a few times about this to the Kobo support ... I found a solution though to solve this: turn off the SRS Trumedia and it will fix it
Akyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #285
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akyth View Post
Hello there ! I did write a few times about this to the Kobo support ... I found a solution though to solve this: turn off the SRS Trumedia and it will fix it
Not a good solution, given how quiet the Arc's speakers are without it. (eg, maxed volume without SRS on is somewhere between 1/3rd & 1/2 of where I need the volume bar at with it on) Still, given that you tend to only hear it at night when there's nothing else making noise, you don't want much volume, anyways, so turning it off's not much of a problem. :P