Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #556
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Does anyone here remember the name and author of a book that was offered free last year? I think it was around Nov. and it was a collection of his writing about writing. He is an older man as I recall. I had to replace my Kindle Keyboard recently and though I am pretty sure I have the book saved for reloading I can't recall it's name. He offered it free for about a month as I remember it.
edit: Never mind I found it. A worker's write book by Jack Matthews. I had trouble finding it among the copies of the books from my old Kindle that I saved to my netbook's hard drive. If I hadn't had it saved it'd only have cost me $2.99 to buy a copy so at least I wouldn't be out that much money to replace it.

Last edited by crich70; 04-27-2012 at 04:22 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #557
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Trying to find a book call Stella? Help!

I read a book over ten years ago in the UK. I think it was called 'Stella.' I thought it was by Ed Mcbain. It is a noir crime thriller about an intellectually / emotionally challenged hit-man who at one point goes undercover to work with a neo-nazi group. I remember that when he is about kill someone, black dots appeared on the body area he would strike. It is set in the USA. The title Stella came from a woman that the main character loves, and who dies of cancer at the end.

I thought it was called Stella and by Ed Mcbain but I can't find the book anywhere. Does anybody know what it is? I'm at a total loss and would very much like to read it again. I suspect now that I have the title wrong, or that it was a UK only title. I got the impression the writer was American.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #558
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
No, it was "Shella" by Andrew Vachss: http://www.amazon.com/Shella-ebook/d...7002435&sr=8-2

Also check out his "Burke" novels about a criminal with a "soft spot" for victims of sexual abuse. What is interesting about Vachss is that he is working as a lawyer specializing in helping abuse victims.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #559
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
No, it was "Shella" by Andrew Vachss: http://www.amazon.com/Shella-ebook/d...7002435&sr=8-2

Also check out his "Burke" novels about a criminal with a "soft spot" for victims of sexual abuse. What is interesting about Vachss is that he is working as a lawyer specializing in helping abuse victims.

Best regards,
Andy
You, sir, are my hero
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #560
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another Childhood Memory

I've been trying to remember the titles of a series of books which I read in the 1960's.

It was about a group of children (weren't they all in those days), who lived on an island (don't think it was all year round), and had a number of adventures. I think the island was in the middle of the River Thames, near London, but they had the right to produce there own postage stamps. One of the children ( I think the youngest) was nicknamed 'Gunner's Mate' and could make explosives using a mixture of saltpetre and sugar, which came in handy for some of their adventures. They also had a motor launch which I think may have been called 'The Cormorant'.

I can't remember any more about the books.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #561
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking

Try :
The Islanders' Strange Holiday
By Gaye Knowles

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #562
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Try :
The Islanders' Strange Holiday
By Gaye Knowles

Thanks for that, but I don't think that is the book series that I am looking for.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #563
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There's Swallows and Amazons but I don't think that takes place near London.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #564
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I'm looking for the title and author a SciFi book which has been bugging me for decades that I think went to paperback in the mid '80s. I barely remember the gist of the story, or even if it was a good book, but its tied up in my memories of Herbert's Lazarus Effect (I keep thinking its set on a planet named Pandora) so it might also be an 'H' Author as I was systematically going through the library's paperback SciFi section at that time.

The plot has something to do with giant iguana-like lizards who make spiral patterns. I think they were a menace being eradicated by planetary colonists but at the end of the book the final scene is something like the lizards and their human partners are being welcomed into the galactic federation. I know, not much to go on :P.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #565
akbkm460
akbkm460 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm looking for a book I read a long time ago. It starts out with a rich infertile couple who wants a surrogate. The surrogate is a mother of 4 or 5 kids who likes being pregnant. She is beautiful with blonde hair.. and very old fashioned. The oldest daughter is named Amy. She gives birth to the baby and I think the couple names her Danielle. The surrogate's family is killed when their van goes over a cliff into water (Amy ends up turning up later) The surrogate snaps and goes to find her baby she gave up and does find her. The couple lets her live there until they check legal issues. The surrogate had gone crazy after her family died and she thinks the rich couple spoiled her baby and made her bad. She tries to kill her in the end. I thought it was something like Hush little baby but I have googled that name and looked on amazon and can't find anything like it. I think I read it in the late 80's.
akbkm460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #566
eskimo49
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There's Swallows and Amazons but I don't think that takes place near London.
thanks but Swallows and Amazons takes place in the Lake District in Cumbria England.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #567
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbkm460 View Post
I'm looking for a book I read a long time ago. It starts out with a rich infertile couple who wants a surrogate. The surrogate is a mother of 4 or 5 kids who likes being pregnant. She is beautiful with blonde hair.. and very old fashioned. The oldest daughter is named Amy. She gives birth to the baby and I think the couple names her Danielle. The surrogate's family is killed when their van goes over a cliff into water (Amy ends up turning up later) The surrogate snaps and goes to find her baby she gave up and does find her. The couple lets her live there until they check legal issues. The surrogate had gone crazy after her family died and she thinks the rich couple spoiled her baby and made her bad. She tries to kill her in the end. I thought it was something like Hush little baby but I have googled that name and looked on amazon and can't find anything like it. I think I read it in the late 80's.
Whew! I don't recognize it, but that sounds like Some Book. I'll steer clear of it, when somebody remembers the name.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #568
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Hi, this is a long shot book i'm looking for a Sci fi book i read back in the 80's. the main thing i can remember is that they had space suits/ crafts which were like coffins but from which all appendages could open up reminding me of a stick insect. the suits were like mini battleships.
sorry for the lack of info but you never know. cheers alan
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #569
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Sounds like something by Heinlein, but it's a long time ago that I read any of his stuff...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #570
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm thinking of an old Science Fiction that I read when I was young and wondering if it sounds familiar to anyone here. This young boy runs away from home and has a robot companion along for the trip. The robot can only see in black and white at first but then a friendly space captain that they encounter gives the robot a different type of tube in one of its circuits and the robot can then see in color. Pretty much all I can recall of the story at the moment. Not even sure if it's a novel or just a long short story. Does it sound familiar to anyone here?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths