Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #61
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpx View Post
After factory reset I lost disabled ads, but cannot find a solution to disable them again. Old method used data.tar.gz method and JB_RUNME.sh. Do I need use data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh + booting into diagnostics partition to remove ads again?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#Removing_Ads
Try this to see if it's still working on 5.1 firmware.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #62
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Unhappy Web browser ignores orientation change

While the new firmware brings a lot of new features, even some that are undocumented on the official amazon page (like the ability to select text across multiple pages), it also comes with a drawback. Now the web browser ignores the orientation setting. Can anything be done to apply orientation changes to the browser?
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #63
vpx
vpx began at the beginning.

Device: KT
I tried new GUI Launcher with Ad Remove script and everything works OK, Ads are away..Thank you very much
vpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #64
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
@Geekmaster and/or ixtab:
Is there any advantage to install the mmcblk0p2_ssh image diags version 5.1.0. instead of the 5.0?
And is the PW for 5.1 still mario? I had to change my RootPW after having updated to 5.0.3. and it is still the one I changed to.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #65
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
@Geekmaster and/or ixtab:
Is there any advantage to install the mmcblk0p2_ssh image diags version 5.1.0. instead of the 5.0?
And is the PW for 5.1 still mario? I had to change my RootPW after having updated to 5.0.3. and it is still the one I changed to.
If you want to upgrade to the new diags partition with SSH pre-installed, you can, but there is no good reason to do that other than personal preference. Although the main system diagnostics program changed, I did not notice any visible differences, and both the data.tar.gz and my new unreleased jailbreak methods still work. I upgraded the diags_ssh at the "simple debricking" thread first post to this new (factory) 5.1.0 diags partition (with SSH pre-installed, and password changed to "mario"), so you can download it from there if you want to upgrade to the latest version.

The 5.1.0 firmware upgrade does not modify the diags partition, and the new diags partition only comes on new kindles. Only five of the whitelisted files changed, as shown in my earlier post here:

All diags images I have seen come from the factory with your "fiona" password. I changed the diags PW to mario by copying an old mario DES hash to the shadow file, when I added the missing dropbear files for SSH.

NOTE: You cannot disable diags from the exit menu until you create a missing folder and file on your USB drive. This is done automatically if you select the first menu item.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-15-2012 at 02:52 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #66
isrealjb
isrealjb began at the beginning.

hey guys,
i recently upgraded my kindle touch to 5.1 and when i press the power button no screensaver shows it just locks the screen....is this normal?

the same thing happens when i turn it off. I tried to reset it but the same thing happens when i restart
isrealjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #67
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrealjb View Post
hey guys,
i recently upgraded my kindle touch to 5.1 and when i press the power button no screensaver shows it just locks the screen....is this normal?

the same thing happens when i turn it off. I tried to reset it but the same thing happens when i restart
This happened to me. It's the screensaver hack ... I uninstalled the screensaver hack and my Kindle went to sleep again with the power button. 5.1 isn't compatible with the current screensaver hack.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #68
pactel
pactel began at the beginning.

!12354

Last edited by pactel; 04-23-2012 at 02:51 AM.
pactel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #69
dtomcat
dtomcat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post
All I had to do was add back the one extra screensaver I had added to /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ and I am done.

Pactel,
is that all you need to do to have custom screensaver? add images to that folder? if you have any info that, that would be great... I google'd it, but didn't find anythign definitive! Any help would be greatly appreciated... I've paid to not have ads, so I don't need to get around that.

Last edited by dtomcat; 04-23-2012 at 02:54 AM.
dtomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #70
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Good afternoon!!
I just updated my Kindle and, as someone already noticed, orientation doesn't work in browser.
That's disappointing as it means orientation doesn't work in WAFs either.

Is there a way to have again this feature?

The old orientation script for GUI launcher still works but seems not to affect the browser...
Thanks a lot!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #71
pactel
pactel began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomcat View Post
Pactel,
is that all you need to do to have custom screensaver? add images to that folder? if you have any info that, that would be great... I google'd it, but didn't find anythign definitive! Any help would be greatly appreciated... I've paid to not have ads, so I don't need to get around that.
Yes.. sorry my last message got messed up.

To add or replace random screensavers, just add an 600px X 800px greyscale png file to the /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ directory and rename it following the naming convention in the directory.

So, there are 20 default screensaver images, bg_xsmall_ss00.png through bg_xsmall_ss19.png. If you are adding another name it bg_xsmall_ss20.png, and so on. I believe you can go up to bg_xsmall_ss99.png

An easy way to add files is to copy them to the kindle in usb drive mode, then move them to the proper directory using ssh. Say you are adding your first new image named screensaver.png that you have copied to the kindle in usb drive mode.

First make the root filesystem writeable;

mntroot rw

then;

mv /mnt/base-us/screensaver.png /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/bg_xsmall_ss20.png

I usually just do a reboot to clear ssh and set the filesystem back to read only, but you can do a mntroot ro, and turn off ssh manually.

Hope that is clear.
pactel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #72
Dweia
Dweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with othersDweia plays well with others

Diags on international Kindle 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
5.0.0 diags: /etc/version.txt:
Software System Version: 137022-diags_signed-137022
Thu Nov 3 11:23:42 PDT 2011

5.1.0 diags: /etc/version.txt:
Software System Version: 137333-diags_signed-137333
Wed Nov 9 15:20:31 PST 2011
For me a different Diags:
[root@kindle etc]# cat version.txt
System Software Version: 019-J2-diags_yoshi-155938
Fri Apr 6 04:28:01 PDT 2012

Living in Europe, I got my "Kindle Touch" with original firmware 5.1.0 (1557760049) about a week ago, and have since been trying to read through half a year worth of posts on this forum (great work!) - my main intent was to get SSH working in both Diags and Main kernel, because I figured with shell-access to the machine, most things would be fixable and/or tweakable.

The main partition seems to behave as expected - Geekmasters "universal payload" installs and runs RUNME.sh like a charm - Yifanlu's jailbreak does as well, and with the usbnetwork + iptables-fix, SSH access is now possible (in MAIN).

However in Diags, Geekmasters hack (which seemed to me the cleanest/easiest to understand) refuses to run. So then I copied manually the dropbear files from /usr/local/* to /mnt/diag/usr/local/*, as well as the "iptables" and "shadow" files for network-access and the root password. After booting to Diags, I could now indeed access SSH (not via WiFi, but I didn't really expect that - usbnetwork did the trick though). HOWEVER: two reboots later (once to main, and back to diags) and no SSH-access any more!

A bit further checking reveals: BOTH /usr/local has been completely erased (subdirs etc, bin. sbin are gone) AND /var/local/system is empty as well (but should probably have contained Geekmasters "mntus.param").

I grabbed a copy of both mmcblk0p1.img and mmcblk0p2.img and will try to find differences to the versions that Geekmaster provided in the "Select Boot" thread, maybe I can find what's the difference. (Will take a few days though - RL intruding...)

Greetings,
Dweia

P.S. Geekmaster: If you wish, I can upload "my" diags-image to somewhere, if you want to have a look at it yourself...
Dweia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #73
sumpin
Enthusiast
sumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to beholdsumpin is a splendid one to behold

Device: down to just a PW4
screensaver alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by pactel View Post
Yes.. sorry my last message got messed up.

To add or replace random screensavers, just add an 600px X 800px greyscale png file to the /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ directory and rename it following the naming convention in the directory.

So, there are 20 default screensaver images, bg_xsmall_ss00.png through bg_xsmall_ss19.png. If you are adding another name it bg_xsmall_ss20.png, and so on. I believe you can go up to bg_xsmall_ss99.png

An easy way to add files is to copy them to the kindle in usb drive mode, then move them to the proper directory using ssh. Say you are adding your first new image named screensaver.png that you have copied to the kindle in usb drive mode.

First make the root filesystem writeable;

mntroot rw

then;

mv /mnt/base-us/screensaver.png /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/bg_xsmall_ss20.png

I usually just do a reboot to clear ssh and set the filesystem back to read only, but you can do a mntroot ro, and turn off ssh manually.

Hope that is clear.
I really miss yifan's latest pre-5.1.0 screensaver hack. What a shame to lose it! I did something essentially the same as pactel, but slightly different, that works for me very well:

cd /usr/share/blanket
mntroot rw
mv screensaver screensaver.orig
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver
mntroot ro

You still have to follow the the naming convention but it makes it easier to manage the screensavers since they're then in the same publicly available directory as before the 5.1.0 upgrade. The link has survived multiple reboots but I'm not sure if it will survive the next upgrade.
sumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweia View Post

P.S. Geekmaster: If you wish, I can upload "my" diags-image to somewhere, if you want to have a look at it yourself...
While waiting for GM to get into the office...
A light look at the recurring problems with this 5.1 version update:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5th_wave-2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	86047  

Last edited by knc1; 05-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #75
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweia View Post

However in Diags, Geekmasters hack (which seemed to me the cleanest/easiest to understand) refuses to run.
bit further checking reveals: BOTH /usr/local has been completely erased (subdirs etc, bin. sbin are gone) AND /var/local/system is empty as well (but should probably have contained Geekmasters "mntus.param").
WHICH hack refuses to run?

Perhaps your "geekmaster's hack" (whichever one that is) is running against the wrong partition? Can you post the contents of the hack you used?

Beware that your root partition will be either mmcblk0p1 or mmcblk0p2 depending on how you booted, so the missing /usr/local is not clear (which partition?)

Yes I want a copy of the different diags partition. Thanks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote