Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
Mattyboy
Mattyboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Mobipocket guide properties help

Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but I can't seem to find the correct place for this question.

I need help creating the guide properties section in the mobipocket creator. I've followed the guide from HarryT but when it comes to adding the lines of html for the table of contents and the start reading I don't know where to add it, as there doesn't seem to be a start and there are no <HR> coding for page breaks. It doesn't help that I don't know html. This I'm guessing is screwing up my guide thing. Could anyone help?

Also, I've added hyperlinks for the table of contents to each chapter in word but when I've had a test on my kindle it just goes straight to the first line and not the chapter title, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thank you all.
Mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyboy View Post
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this is the wrong section but I can't seem to find the correct place for this question.

I need help creating the guide properties section in the mobipocket creator. I've followed the guide from HarryT but when it comes to adding the lines of html for the table of contents and the start reading I don't know where to add it, as there doesn't seem to be a start and there are no <HR> coding for page breaks. It doesn't help that I don't know html. This I'm guessing is screwing up my guide thing. Could anyone help?

Also, I've added hyperlinks for the table of contents to each chapter in word but when I've had a test on my kindle it just goes straight to the first line and not the chapter title, does anyone know how to fix it?

Thank you all.
The correct place is the Mobipocket file format forum, to where I'm now moving this thread .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyboy View Post

Thank you all.
Check where you have your filepos tags, it sounds like you've put them at the end of your chapter title instead of at the beginning. You would probably find it easier to use Sigil to create an epub file, then convert that to mobi with Calibre. The various headings styles will generate a TOC for you.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And, <hr> is just a horizontal line, not a page break.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The interface in Mobipocket Creator adds the entires into the OPF file of your ebook.

The guide section of the file should look like this:

<guide>
<reference href="filename1.html" title="Table of Contents" type="toc"/>
<reference href="filename2.html" title="Copyright" type="copyright"/>
<reference href="filename3.html" title="Cover" type="coverpage"/>
</guide>

Alternatively, if you're using anchors within the same page:

<guide>
<reference href="filename.html#toc" title="Table of Contents" type="toc"/>
<reference href="filename.html#copyright" title="Copyright" type="copyright"/>
<reference href="filename2.html" title="Cover" type="coverpage"/>
</guide>

You can use the interface or write the entry directly into the OPF yourself.

To check the position of the anchors, save your Word file as Web page, Filtered. Then look at the html to see where the anchors are.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
And, <hr> is just a horizontal line, not a page break.
The OP is following my tutorial, in which I use a horizontal line for a page break, and then afterwards do a global search and replace and change it to "<mbp:pagebreak>" (the Mobi page break tag).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote