Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
But it's B&n and losing money on hardware is sort-of their specialty.
Are you saying that since this new Nook tablet is practically last years Fire HD 10 at a price that is $20 cheaper ($40 if you want to consider removal of special offers)?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtin View Post
Thanks for helping me convince myself I don't need this.
After googling IPS confusion reigned.
Hmm... On Bing I searched "IPS Screen" and the first result is a Wikipedia page for IPS panel:

Quote:
IPS (in-plane switching) is a screen technology for liquid-crystal displays (LCDs). It was designed to solve the main limitations of the twisted nematic field effect (TN) matrix LCDs which were prevalent in the late 1980s. These limitations included strong viewing angle dependence and low-quality color reproduction.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 AM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Are you saying that since this new Nook tablet is practically last years Fire HD 10 at a price that is $20 cheaper ($40 if you want to consider removal of special offers)?
Not at all.
I was referring to B&N's record of taking writedowns on unsold tablets and ereaders to the tune of hundreds of millions.

Like in 2013:

https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/06...olor-versions/

Not the only year it happened but those $222 million would come in handy right now.

Still, as long as you bring up the FireHD10, its holiday price for the 32GB version is the same as last year: $99.

http://www.aftvnews.com/the-fire-hd-...-black-friday/

...it starts Nov 16:

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-revea...-180-and-more/

And, with the Fire you at least know it has a four core CPU:

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazons-new-...n-tablet-form/

You do have to spend five minutes adding the Play store if you feel the need for it but it's no biggie.

Note that I made no mention of the 2016 B&N tablets, with their "bonus" software bundle...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/22/...adups-malware/)

...and boomerang power adapters:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reca...-7-020617.html

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-08-2018 at 06:14 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
I was looking for a 10" tablet for strictly a comic book reader. This might be the one for me.
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
I was looking for a 10" tablet for strictly a comic book reader. This might be the one for me.
I also only use my tablet to read comics and used a Lenovo Tab2 A10-70 for years. It has the same screen resolution as the new Nook tablet and it was great as a comics reader. The only reason I moved to the Surface was want of a larger screen.

I wish B&N would list the processor and RAM, but realistically, I can't imagine it being worse than my three year old Tab2.
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #21
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I also only use my tablet to read comics and used a Lenovo Tab2 A10-70 for years. It has the same screen resolution as the new Nook tablet and it was great as a comics reader. The only reason I moved to the Surface was want of a larger screen.

I wish B&N would list the processor and RAM, but realistically, I can't imagine it being worse than my three year old Tab2.
Hey Zod can you get the comixology app for the Microsoft surface? I would definately go for the surface if so.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey Zod can you get the comixology app for the Microsoft surface? I would definately go for the surface if so.
Not Zod, but I found this:

https://mspoweruser.com/comixology-r...windows-store/

Back in Sept 2015, Comixology updated their Windows app and four days later retired it.
They expect PC users to rely on the website.

Not sure if it allows offline reading.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Yeah, fjtorres is right. No ComiXology app for Windows. I download all the comics I buy on ComiXology (even those not 'allowed' to be downloaded, I like to back up my comic purchases just like I back up my ebook purchases) and read them with an app called Cover.

Android comic readers are definitely better than their Windows competitors, but I couldn't find a good 12" Android tablet.

Before the Surface, I tried the HP Chromebook X2 tablet. But even though you could install Android apps, none of the comic reader apps I use (Perfect Viewer, Challenger, ComicRack, CDisplay EX) could see the SD card. If you're just using the ComiXology app, maybe that's not a problem for you. (It costs considerably more than the new Nook tablet though.)
Old 11-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #24
pastanley
Zealot

An anonymous reviewer of the B&N 10.1" tablet states:
"Chat confirmed ram is 2gb and android os version is 8.1; she stated they will find the cpu model number and add it to the specs section within 1 week."

If this is true- this tablet is really looking to be a winner for only $130. I am going to wait until black friday next week until I pull the trigger. I also have my eyes on a Samsung 10.5" tablet. (I'm looking for a dedicated comic/magazine reader). Size matters.

Last edited by pastanley; 11-15-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:35 AM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
According to SplashDMG Tech the Nook 10.1 contains:

SoC: MediaTek MT8167A
CPU: Quad core ARM Cortex-A35@1.5GHz
GPU: PowerVR Rogue GE8300
RAM: 2GB
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 AM   #26
pastanley
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
According to SplashDMG Tech the Nook 10.1 contains:

SoC: MediaTek MT8167A
CPU: Quad core ARM Cortex-A35@1.5GHz
GPU: PowerVR Rogue GE8300
RAM: 2GB
Would anyone know if the Kindle Fire HD 10 is comparable to this?
Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #27
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Would anyone know if the Kindle Fire HD 10 is comparable to this?
Kindle Fire HD 10:
Quote:
Chipset Mediatek MT8173
CPU Quad-core (2x1.8 GHz Cortex-A72 & 2x1.4 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPU PowerVR G6250
2GB RAM
Looks like the Nook has a significantly slower CPU and GPU.

Last edited by David Munch; 11-16-2018 at 05:27 AM.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Nook SOC:

https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8167a

Fire HD10:

https://www.mediatek.com/products/tablets/mt8173

Nothing wrong with the Nook SOC for reading.

But for video and gaming, FIRE HD10 laps it.

The real question is in the screen and the FIRE is known to have a great screen with excellent color reproduction. The Nook... Reviews will tell.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-16-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The real question is in the screen and the FIRE is known to have a great screen with excellent color reproduction. The Nook... Reviews will tell.
I won't be surprised if the Nook and Fire use the same screen.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I won't be surprised if the Nook and Fire use the same screen.
Could be but the difference in SOC price doesn't account for all the difference in list prices. If they went with a cheaper chipset, they might have gone for a cheaper screen too.

It wouldn't be noticeable for books, comics, and magazines so going with a more expensive screen might be seen as overkill for their purposes. As Adam Osbourne used to say, "adequacy is sufficient".