Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #16
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Interesting - the 'plain' Paperwhite has an Oct 27 release date, no release date listed for the Signature.
So I pre-ordered the Signature - and got an arrival date of Nov. 11 -19. I wonder if Amazon is experiencing the supply chain woes of other electronics dealers, or if this is meant to be their Xmas offering?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
The press release mentions "20% faster page turns"

https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-r...hite-and-new-0
Missed that, thank you.

It’s not page turn performance that is the issue for me, however, but things like switching books in Library after closing a book (takes roughly 10 seconds before it even indicates my tap is sensed).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #18
RETG
RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RETG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
With a wireless charger, Amazon could dump the USB socket altogether. This would make a water proof device possible.
plenty of electronics meet the IP68 rating with USB power plugs, speaker openings and headphone 3.5mm sockets. If Amazon wanted to make something with a IP68 rating they could. My KOBO does!
RETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, I spent last half hour in chat with Amazon support about trade-in credit: it’s telling me that my PW4 in good condition is only worth $5 (same as one not in good condition) instead of the expected $30. They said they would send it to the “Concerns Team”, and that it would be fixed. We will see.

In meantime, I may check to see if any of the family members I have loaned older Kindles to want an upgrade to PW4, in which case, I’ll trade one of those in instead.

Since this thing doesn’t ship until at least the end of next month, not really urgent.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-21-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Interesting - the 'plain' Paperwhite has an Oct 27 release date, no release date listed for the Signature.
So I pre-ordered the Signature - and got an arrival date of Nov. 11 -19. I wonder if Amazon is experiencing the supply chain woes of other electronics dealers, or if this is meant to be their Xmas offering?
Just in time for Black Friday.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
BTW, I spent last half hour in chat with Amazon support about trade-in credit: it’s telling me that my PW4 in good condition is only worth $5 (same as one not in good condition) instead of the expected $30. They said they would send it to the “Concerns Team”, and that it would be fixed. We will see.

In meantime, I may check to see if any of the family members I have loaned older Kindles to want an upgrade to PW4, in which case, I’ll trade one of those in instead.

Since this thing doesn’t ship until at least the end of next month, not really urgent.
Don't forget that Amazon will give you a trade-in credit of 20% off the purchase of the new Paperwhite.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Don't forget that Amazon will give you a trade-in credit of 20% off the purchase of the new Paperwhite.
I’m not forgetting that part. But I should get full trade-in value for a device in good conditions as well.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #23
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Not announced in the UK yet. No doubt they'll be along shortly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-pape...2248991&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-pape...2249300&sr=8-1

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I’m not forgetting that part. But I should get full trade-in value for a device in good conditions as well.
I agree. It looks like somebody screwed up on that one. Hopefully they get it fixed so you can get the full discount ($30 device value + $28~$38 trade-in credit).
Old 09-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon Introduces Kindle Paperwhite Kids, Providing Distraction-Free Reading Time for Kids to Explore Thousands of New and Classic Titles

Quote:
New waterproof Kindle Paperwhite Kids arrives with a 6.8” glare-free display that appears like real paper, even in sunlight; battery that lasts up to 10 weeks; 1-year of Amazon Kids+; a kid-friendly case; and a 2-year worry-free guarantee—just $159.99

Amazon Kids+ includes access to thousands of books, including Keeper of the Lost Cities, Artemis Fowl, Big Nate, Harry Potter, Ramona Quimby, Warriors, and many more

The average Kindle Kids reader reads more than an hour a day, supported by features like Vocabulary Builder, reward badges, and Word Wise
Quote:
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep. 21, 2021-- (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today introduced the all-new Kindle Paperwhite Kids, built from the ground up for kids ages 7 and up. Purpose-built for reading books with zero distractions—no games, ads, or video—the first-ever waterproof Kindle for kids comes with an adjustable warm light, a compact design, a glare-free display, and up to a 10-week battery life. It also includes a one-year subscription to Amazon Kids+ with access to thousands of books, a kid-friendly cover, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee—all for only $159.99. Customers can learn more at amazon.com/kindlepaperwhitekids. Amazon also announced the all-new Kindle Paperwhite and the first-ever Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, learn more here.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...0921005784/en/

more...
Quote:
Pricing and Availability

The all-new Kindle Paperwhite Kids is $159.99 and available for pre-order today. It will start shipping on October 27. Customers can choose from three kid-friendly cover designs: Black and two patterns, ‘Emerald Forest’ and ‘Robot Dreams.’ Every Kindle Paperwhite Kids comes with 1 year of Amazon Kids+, which auto-renews after 1 year and can be cancelled at any time.

For existing Amazon Kids+ customers who purchase the new Kindle Paperwhite Kids, your subscription will be automatically replaced on the day you activate the device, and your included one year of Amazon Kids+ will begin.
Quote:
Great value – Includes a Kindle Paperwhite (11th generation), 1 year of Amazon Kids+, a kid-friendly cover, and a 2-year worry-free guarantee—up to a $269 value.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Something to consider for those wanting the 8GB Paperwhite. Get the Kids edition and save $10~$55.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-21-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot to add "Without Ads"
Old 09-21-2021, 04:05 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Something to consider for those wanting the 8GB Paperwhite. Get the Kids edition and save $10~$35.

Yes, but can you get it out of ‘Kids mode?”
Old 09-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
tomsen, in my experience you have to purposely turn on the kids mode or it won't activate.

tube: I don't think the kids cover is the same, I don't think it's the water safe fabric. But it is AD-FREE which saves the $20 right there, makes the cover free!

to all: I jumped on a preorder but then decided to initiate a trade in. should I cancel the order until the trade in part is done, to get my 20%?

Last edited by booklover6; 09-21-2021 at 04:24 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Size and weight difference between the Paperwhite 4 and 5 (pretty impressive)...

Paperwhite 4 -- 167 × 116 × 8.2 mm -- 182 grams
Paperwhite 5 -- 174 x 125 x 8.1 mm -- 205 grams

I guess that means the bezels will be much smaller (hopefully no so small that it can't be held easily). So, size-wise, it's not going to be significantly bigger than the Paperwhite 4.

Kindle Voyage -- 162 mm x 115 mm x 7.6 mm -- 180 grams
PocketBook HD3 -- 161.3 x 108 x 8 mm -- 155 grams
Kobo Clara -- 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm -- 166 grams (Tolino Shine 3 also)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-21-2021 at 04:20 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

to all: I jumped on a preorder but then decided to initiate a trade in. should I cancel the order until the trade in part is done, to get my 20%?
Absolutely! You’d be nuts not to. Seriously. In any case, how else will you use the 20%?

I don’t know when or if Amazon changed its policy, but in my experience, it used to be that if you started a trade-in on a device it knew you owned, they’d give the discount right away. Lately, however, it seems as if they withhold the discount until they get the device, and if you wanted to capitalize on a sale price, you were SOL. So certainly if you’re ordering at the list price anyway, there’s no cost to waiting until you’ve got the discount.

People who are hoping for a discount on Black Friday might keep this in mind, depending on their own experiences. Initiate a trade-in far enough in advance that it’ll hit your account by Black Friday. The risk is that if there’s no discount, you’ll have to use your 20% or lose it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote