Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
updating library

I noticed that as my library has grown in size (the db file is 65mb) that when I try to import a list to update tags, etc. the process takes a loooong time, when I look at the library using Explorer I see that a db journal is being used to update each book. Is this normal? It seems that instead of updating the .db file it is updating each book's .opf file.

Regarding the large .db file, I am trying to get all the info right for the library before splitting it up to smaller libraries.

Is there anything short of deleting columns that can make it go faster? I cleared out the icon rules, but I have a lot of tag rules.

right now it's taking about 3 seconds per book to update. I am importing lists of 200 books. Calibre 4.17 x64 Windows 10

BTW....I just downloaded 4.18 and love the heirarchal tag browser features!

Last edited by Rellwood; 06-14-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Try going to Library > Library Maintenance > Check Library. The sqlite database can get a little bloated after a while and doing this will vacuum it out.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Yeah, I have done that. I do it all the time in attempts at clearing out the "dust", thanks though!
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The metadata.opf files are used by the Restore database function. When you update metadata those files are written in a separate background thread. So, your performance issues are very unlikely to be due to the writing of those files.

What sort device are your libraries stored on? And, how many books in the library?

I have a library of about 180,000 'books'. Updating a book's metadata, via the book list, is done as fast as I can enter the data. And, when a book's metadata is updated via F2 in the book list, calibre writes a new metadata.opf for each column edited, i.e. even if the column is tabbed through.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What sort device are your libraries stored on? And, how many books in the library?
Also: Not to cause any panic, but if you've not already I'd check the health of the device. One of the early signs of a faulty hard drive was Calibre starting to chug while doing bulk operations.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert