Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #1
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Decipher book filename

I'm using Calibre 5.32 to view all of my books. Recently I joined Amazon's Kindle Unlimited. I'm using Kindle 1.7 on my Windows 10 PC. When I view the Kindle Library folder I see filenames like "B06XH2LZFN_EBSP.azw". Is there an easy way to decipher the filename to obtain the book title?

I know that in the filename the "B06XH2LZFN" is the ASIN and I can search Google for the book title but I have a huge number of books with similar filenames and don't want to search Google for each one.

Suggestions?
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One suggestion is to download books to the Kindle app one at a time so that the most recent will always be the one you just downloaded.

Kindle Unlimited authors are compensated based on pages read. So if you borrow a book from Kindle Unlimited and read it outside of the Kindle ecosystem then the author will not be paid by Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You can search by asin on amazon. I don't see any way around searching somewhere.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One suggestion is to download books to the Kindle app one at a time so that the most recent will always be the one you just downloaded.

Kindle Unlimited authors are compensated based on pages read. So if you borrow a book from Kindle Unlimited and read it outside of the Kindle ecosystem then the author will not be paid by Amazon.
I'd like to emphasize jhowell's post, specifically this part:

Quote:
"then the author will not be paid by Amazon."
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's a terrible system for Authors AND Consumers (page by page tracking of everything read).
KDP Select is actually a monopolist's tool and locks authors & publishers to Amazon.

I do buy & sell on Amazon. But I won't use KDP Select, Unlimited or Prime. Or Whispernet. They use Dark UI/UX at the checkout to trick people into signing up for Prime. BIG Button and the real next action is a tiny link.
Publishers get charged if you use Mobile Whispernet instead of Download to PC for USB transfer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's a terrible system for Authors AND Consumers (page by page tracking of everything read).
KDP Select is actually a monopolist's tool and locks authors & publishers to Amazon.

I do buy & sell on Amazon. But I won't use KDP Select, Unlimited or Prime. Or Whispernet. They use Dark UI/UX at the checkout to trick people into signing up for Prime. BIG Button and the real next action is a tiny link.
Publishers get charged if you use Mobile Whispernet instead of Download to PC for USB transfer.
Eh, whut?

"Publishers get charged if you use Mobile Whispernet instead of Download to PC for USB transfer."

Where are you getting that, Quoth? There's always a delivery fee for any eBook, priced between $2.99 and $9.99, for which the publisher has chosen the 70% model. There is no additional fee of which I am aware. ???

Hitch
Old 11-29-2021, 10:24 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
... There's always a delivery fee for any eBook, priced between $2.99 and $9.99, for which the publisher has chosen the 70% model ...
I hope I'm misunderstanding here. Are you saying that every time I download a Kindle book to one of my devices (including to my computer using download for transfer via USB), Amazon charges the publisher a fee?

So if I finish a book, remove it from my device, then have a second thought and re-download it an hour later to check something in the book, the publisher gets charged another fee for my downloading it again? Or if I decide I want a book on my Kindle, iPhone and Kindle for Mac, the publisher gets charged 3 delivery fees?

Please tell me this isn't so!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Eh, whut?

"Publishers get charged if you use Mobile Whispernet instead of Download to PC for USB transfer."

Where are you getting that, Quoth? There's always a delivery fee for any eBook, priced between $2.99 and $9.99, for which the publisher has chosen the 70% model. There is no additional fee of which I am aware. ???

Hitch
I think that delivery fee only applies to Whispernet, possibly just the Mobile version. That costs Amazon. Download via WiFi or to PC doesn't have any Mobile carrier cost for Amazon.

I'm not claiming there is an additional fee as well as that.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I hope I'm misunderstanding here. Are you saying that every time I download a Kindle book to one of my devices (including to my computer using download for transfer via USB), Amazon charges the publisher a fee?
No. My understanding is the publisher delivery fee is only for Whispernet, probably purely 2G/3G/4G direct Cell/Mobile use with a Kindle that has a built in cellular/mobile modem.

WiFi on Kindle and Download to PC costs Amazon almost nothing, possibly actually nothing. Amazon is paying for the SIM traffic inside some Kindles.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:34 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
So if I finish a book, remove it from my device, then have a second thought and re-download it an hour later to check something in the book, the publisher gets charged another fee for my downloading it again? Or if I decide I want a book on my Kindle, iPhone and Kindle for Mac, the publisher gets charged 3 delivery fees?
There's only ever one delivery fee for one book purchase, no matter how many times the reader downloads it via Whispernet. And the fee is charged whether or not the book is ever downloaded via Whispernet.

Delivery fees only apply to books where the "royalty" rate is 70%, and vary according to the size of the book, as determined by Amazon.

See https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634500 for full details.

A 2MB book sold for $3.00 in USA at 70% royalty rate would earn the publisher ($3.00 - $0.30)*0.7 = $1.89

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-30-2021 at 07:36 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's only ever one delivery fee for one book purchase, no matter how many times the reader downloads it via Whispernet. And the fee is charged whether or not the book is ever downloaded via Whispernet.

Delivery fees only apply to books where the "royalty" rate is 70%, and vary according to the size of the book, as determined by Amazon.

See https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634500 for full details.

A 2MB book sold for $3.00 in USA at 70% royalty rate would earn the publisher ($3.00 - $0.30)*0.7 = $1.89
What Paul said is correct and the delivery method, how many times you download it, etc. is irrelevant.

The rate is exactly as he shows and the fee is charged when the book is bought. It doesn't matter if a book is bought a thousand times and is downloaded via USB from a desktop to the device manually--the publisher pays the fee once. Amazon pays itself off the top and then, as Paul showed, the remainder is split 70/30, publisher/Amazon.

Hitch
Old 11-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There may be confusion with the fee that Amazon used to charge customers for delivery of personal documents over 3G cellular.

Here is a quote from the Amazon web page on personal documents from 2011:

Quote:
Fees for Personal Document Service

Fees for transfer of personal documents to the Kindle via 3G are based on the size of the file submitted (before compression if you use a .ZIP file), your country, and where you're accessing 3G. Fees will only be charged for documents that are successfully received wirelessly on your Kindle. (Personal Document Service is not available wirelessly in Canada. Please see Sending Personal Documents to Kindle for information about e-mailing personal documents to your computer for USB transfer to your Kindle.)
  • Kindle (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) user living in the United States: If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via Wi-Fi there is no delivery fee. If you transfer personal documents to your Kindle via 3G while inside the United States, the fee is $ .15 per megabyte. When traveling outside the United States, a fee of $.99 per megabyte will apply.
  • Kindle user living outside the United States: We'll send personal documents to your Kindle via 3G for a fee of $ .99 (USD) per megabyte anywhere in the world you access 3G service.
Fees are rounded up to the next whole MB and apply to each personal document delivered via 3G to each Kindle. You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at any time.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There may be confusion with the fee that Amazon used to charge customers for delivery of personal documents over 3G cellular.

Here is a quote from the Amazon web page on personal documents from 2011:
Oh, right, I remember that (now that you brought it up). Good call, jhowell!

Hitch
Old 11-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #14
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Oh, whew! Thank you pdurrant, Hitch, and jhowell. I'm relieved that publishers/authors aren't getting charged every time I download a book. That would upset me.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It would upset a lot of people