Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Exclamation Turn one page, Pages in chapter increases by 1, Pages in book increases by 2

Hi there, I got my Kobo Forma for over two years and I'm quite happy with it.

But there is one problem, I don't know when I noticed this but it was a long time ago that when I turn one page, the number in the header of the screen which is the Pages in chapter increases by 1 which is normal, but the problem is, the number in the footer of the screen which is the Pages in book increases by 2 (sometimes 1, sometimes 3, but most of the time just 2), it doesn't happen in just specific books, but basically every book I read.

So how can I make the number in the footer of the screen which is the Pages in the book increase by 1 like the numbers in the header when I turn one page?

Sorry about that I didn't mention all my ebooks are kepub.epub.

Last edited by codychan; 03-12-2021 at 05:07 AM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
What format? AFAIK this is normal with ePubs.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
What format? AFAIK this is normal with ePubs.
All my ebooks are kepub.epub.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The page count by chapter is an exact calculation of how many screens you have to 'turn' for that chapter. The page count by book is an estimation. (though in my experience, a reasonably accurate one,, most page turns for me come out to 1 page,)

This is necessary, otherwise, the kobo would have to render the entire book every time any of the formatting options are changed to re-calculate pages. (And with no limit on the size of books, that could quickly become a *very* demanding task.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
codychan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The page count by chapter is an exact calculation of how many screens you have to 'turn' for that chapter. The page count by book is an estimation. (though in my experience, a reasonably accurate one,, most page turns for me come out to 1 page,)

This is necessary, otherwise, the kobo would have to render the entire book every time any of the formatting options are changed to re-calculate pages. (And with no limit on the size of books, that could quickly become a *very* demanding task.)
So, you mean this is normal, and there is nothing we can do about it?
Advert
Old 03-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Hi there, I got my Kobo Forma for over two years and I'm quite happy with it.

But there is one problem, I don't know when I noticed this but it was a long time ago that when I turn one page, the number in the header of the screen which is the Pages in chapter increases 1 which is normal, but the problem is, the number in the footer of the screen which is the Pages in book increases 2 (sometimes 1, sometimes 3, but most of the time just 2), it doesn't happen in just specific books, but basically every book I read.

So how can I make the number in the footer of the screen which is the Pages in the book increases 1 like the numbers in the header when I turn one page?
The numbers in the header do not always change by 1. Sometimes they don't change and sometimes they change by 2. When reading ePub, the header/footer use ADE page numbers. ADE page numbers are 1024 compress bytes = 1 page. So you can get no page number change or a multiple page number change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
codychan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The numbers in the header do not always change by 1. Sometimes they don't change and sometimes they change by 2. When reading ePub, the header/footer use ADE page numbers. ADE page numbers are 1024 compress bytes = 1 page. So you can get no page number change or a multiple page number change.
Yeah, I heard that people are confused about how the page number is calculated, but don't know it affects the page turns too. Since the Page in chapter increases by 1 (from my personal experience, it always increases by 1), I thought this should work for the Pages in book too.

If there is no solution or this is what it is, maybe I would just change it to "Percent of book read" or "Time remaining in book" since it is quite annoying.

Last edited by codychan; 03-10-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
So how can I make the number in the footer of the screen which is the Pages in the book increase by 1 like the numbers in the header when I turn one page?
The 'whole book page count' has been a problem for kepubs for quite a long time. There was detailed discussion about it elsewhere on MR a few months ago. I remember participating.

As for correcting the problem ... enough users reporting it directly to Kobo is probably the only option likely to have any effect.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Jon: Please read the thread. @codychan stated they are using kepubs. Hence a completely different page numbering system with different idiosyncrasies.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I heard that people are confused about how the page number is calculated, but don't know it affects the page turns too. Since the Page in chapter increases by 1 (from my personal experience, it always increases by 1), I thought this should work for the Pages in book too.
As sort of mentioned there are several page counting methods used depending on the format. PDF is simple as it will be a page per screen. For CBR/CBZ, each image will be separate on a screen.

Epubs use the method that @JSWolf mention. That means that the number of screens per page depend on the font size and other settings. The larger the font, the more screens it will be before the page number changes. And a really small font can mean more than one page per screen. This method also doesn't take into account formatting or images. This is used for both the per-chapter numbering and the full-book numbering. The two numbers should be in sync.

Kepubs use a method that is supposed to be one page per screen. With this, the number of pages changes depending on font size and the other settings. It also means that images are included and the formatting affects the numbering. It seems that the per-chapter numbering is always correct, but, there are problems with the full-book numbering. Most reports are of a page being duplicated. I don't remember reports of them being skipped like you are saying. For this, I am sure that the text formatting and things like images affects the numbering. But, I haven't worked out how. I'm fairly sure that the more complicated it is, the more it is out. And it is probably affected by how long each chapter is. The longer the chapter, the more likely there is a problem. For simple layout in novels, I see a duplicated page number every eight or so pages.
Quote:
If there is no solution or this is what it is, maybe I would just change it to "Percent of book read" or "Time remaining in book" since it is quite annoying.
Just go with what works best for you. I tend to like the page numbers, but, I do use the percentage at the bottom sometimes.

Edit:

And if you do want to discuss the pros and cons of the different page numbering methods, I would suggest doing a search first and seeing what always happens. If you start a new thread, I won't be participating, but I will be watching with , lots of and frequent and . Though, starting a betting pool on how long it takes for certain people and opinions to pop up might be fun.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-10-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Time remaining does not work properly. It goes by one page = 1 minute no matter how fast you read. It does work that way for ePub. I'm not sure f that is the way it works for KePub. I hope someone who knows will say.

KePub's page numbers are supposed to be 1 screen = 1 page but that doesn't work properly and we don't know what really is going on. With ePub page numbers, we do know what's going on.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-11-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Jon: Please read the thread. @codychan stated they are using kepubs. Hence a completely different page numbering system with different idiosyncrasies.
I read the first post and then replied to that. The information about the format should have been in the first post. So I didn't see where he said KePub when I replied.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Time remaining does not work properly. It goes by one page = 1 minute no matter how fast you read. It does work that way for ePub. I'm not sure f that is the way it works for KePub. I hope someone who knows will say.
Interesting, this is the first time I can remember hearing a claim that Kobo uses one page per minute as the reading rate. And it isn't the case here. It might be the starting point, but, it does change as I read. And I have seen rates much faster, and much slower. The much higher usually happen when I read a purchased kepub on more than one device. Especially if I read mostly on one and open it on another and just read a page. That can give a ridiculously low time-to-finish. But, overall, my impression is that it is close. Not to the second accurate, but, a good estimate for how I am read.
Quote:
KePub's page numbers are supposed to be 1 screen = 1 page but that doesn't work properly and we don't know what really is going on. With ePub page numbers, we do know what's going on.
You know that every time you say something like that, I get close to . And that's because I do know what is going on and that means I know how bad the RMSDK page counting algorithm actually is. Yes, it is consistent across devices/apps for exactly the same book, but, that is about all.

Edit: Bugger, I've broken the rule: "Never get into a discussion about how to calculate pages." Vizzini would be most upset with me.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-11-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Interesting, this is the first time I can remember hearing a claim that Kobo uses one page per minute as the reading rate. And it isn't the case here. It might be the starting point, but, it does change as I read. And I have seen rates much faster, and much slower. The much higher usually happen when I read a purchased kepub on more than one device. Especially if I read mostly on one and open it on another and just read a page. That can give a ridiculously low time-to-finish. But, overall, my impression is that it is close. Not to the second accurate, but, a good estimate for how I am read.
I have 26 ePub pages left. I turned on time left for the eBook and it shows I have 26 minutes left. As I turn the pages, the time changes (in minutes) to match the page numbers. Doesn't matter if I flip the pages fast or go really slow.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have 26 ePub pages left. I turned on time left for the eBook and it shows I have 26 minutes left. As I turn the pages, the time changes (in minutes) to match the page numbers. Doesn't matter if I flip the pages fast or go really slow.
As I said, I do not remember seeing that claim before. And I find that strange. If it so inaccurate and doesn't adjust to the reading speed of the user, then I would have expected it to be discussed. The time left has been discussed and commented on about accuracy. Having it for epubs is relatively new, so most of the discussion has been for kepubs. But, if the epub time left uses such a simplistic I would have expected it to be noticed. I'll have to turn it on the next time I am reading an epub and see what happens.

Tags
footer, forma, header, pages