Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Any idea when new Kobo software will come?

With the new Kobo and new UI, any idea of when this will come to the Forma and the other Kobos?
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sometime after the new device is released. Kobo will do a release at that time. Sometimes it will be restricted to the new device and the other devices get them a month or so later. Sometimes all the devices get them at the same time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
And BTW, here is the FCC stuff (but the interesting bits are still under NDA): https://fccid.io/NOIKBN873
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I like what I've seen of the new OS. But in general, I really wish they would make the header and footer significantly smaller. Both Kindle and Nook manage to squeeze info in to a small line at the bottom. Kobo's seem to take up twice as much space.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
For those that have Vision problems I think the Header & Footer are just Right! Amazon is too Tiny! My Pocketbook app I use on my phone & Fire 10 are Way too small.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
For those that have Vision problems I think the Header & Footer are just Right! Amazon is too Tiny! My Pocketbook app I use on my phone & Fire 10 are Way too small.
Honestly, on the Kobo (current software, haven't seen 4.16 yet) they could just reduce the padding and leave the text the same size. Thea header and footer could both take up about half their height, I think.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Honestly, on the Kobo (current software, haven't seen 4.16 yet) they could just reduce the padding and leave the text the same size. Thea header and footer could both take up about half their height, I think.
That would work. I also think having different sizes of header/footer as an option with the smaller the size, the smaller the space around would be good.Personally, I like having n header and a smaller footer at the bottom and very little space above.

I'm waiting for the next firmware and patches before I update and have a go at the new patch system. I'll probably have questions on what I am doing as I've not used it yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
That works for me! I just turned mine off WOW did not realize the Space it took up for such tiny words/numbers!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
That works for me! I just turned mine off WOW did not realize the Space it took up for such tiny words/numbers!
Yeah, last night I turned on the header and footer to check and a 14 page chapter became a 16 page chapter.

With my current font settings, I get 29 lines of text without header and footer and 25 with. So each takes up two text lines of space in addition to the blank space already at the top and bottom.

If I could get two additional lines, I'd keep the header and footer on.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would work. I also think having different sizes of header/footer as an option with the smaller the size, the smaller the space around would be good.Personally, I like having n header and a smaller footer at the bottom and very little space above.

I'm waiting for the next firmware and patches before I update and have a go at the new patch system. I'll probably have questions on what I am doing as I've not used it yet.
I wish you much luck, my friend. The people that make the patches do all Kobo users a favor.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Quote:
I wish you much luck, my friend. The people that make the patches do all Kobo users a favor.
I'm a little confused. As you know about the patch system and you want to reduce the vertical height of the in-book header/footer then surely you can enable and customise the relevant patches to do exactly that.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm a little confused. As you know about the patch system and you want to reduce the vertical height of the in-book header/footer then surely you can enable and customise the relevant patches to do exactly that.
Maybe I did it wrong. I tried halving the height of the header and footer, but it didn't seem to change the layout.

Can you paste the code I need to do it? I don't mind trying again.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Okay, I repatched my Kobo and enabled the patches to reduce header and footer to 66% and the footer IS reduced, but there's still a big gap between the last line of text and the footer. I suspect that changing the footer back to full height wouldn't change the amount of text being displayed.

Still, with header and footer, I got to 26 lines with both on.

Do you know the values to reduce the footer to 50%? Do you know if doing that would screw anything up?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-06-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #14
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe I did it wrong. I tried halving the height of the header and footer, but it didn't seem to change the layout.

Can you paste the code I need to do it? I don't mind trying again.
For the top menubar:

Enabling the nickel standard patch 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 50%' should be OK as-is.

For the original Aura6" it will reduce it from 91px to 45px and the Clara from 121px to 60px.

My Aura6" is no longer active but on a Clara this is about 4.5mm height. Just to give you an idea what a patched Clara kepub should look like...

If you have Reading Settings > Show title
  • CHECKED - the top menubar is 4.5mm and the 1st line of text is immediately below it.
  • UNCHECKED - the top menubar is still 4.5mm but it will overlap the 1st line of text which is now about 3.5mm from the top of the screen.

You can decrease these numbers as you wish (until the pips squeak) although, to be honest, if you have large fingers 4.5mm is already a bit small for hitting the icons in the top menu. For this reason some users prefer the patch 'Custom menubar - reduce height by 33%' which results in a top menubar of about 6mm on a Clara.

I'll need to come back to the footer. It's the nickel patch 'Custom reading footer style'. It has quite a lot of moving parts and it's such a long time since I chose my customised settings that I need to remind myself what I did.

If neither of these suit you there is also the newer nickel patch called 'Reduce top/bottom page spacer'. I don't use this one myself but I seem to remember it was created for those who used to like the old 'fullscreen option' before Kobo removed it in favour of the new Show title & Show footer options.

ETA: Oops, I see we cross-posted

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-06-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

... follow up ... to reduce the footer customise nickel patch 'Custom reading footer style'

For my Clara I have changed the following lines:
Code:
    # Replacement footer height values: AuraHD/H2O/GloHD/ClaraHD
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 116, Find: "min-height:80px", Replace: "min-height:52px", MustMatchLength: yes}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 132, Find: "max-height:80px", Replace: "max-height:52px", MustMatchLength: yes}
I have used 40px instead of the 2 red values of 52px in the original patch.

It won't reduce the height of the bottom menubar but it will get the bottom line of your book text closer to the bottom of the screen (or the Page x of y if Show footer is checked)

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-06-2019 at 04:21 PM.