Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #31
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks.
Will do
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #32
nightcolors
Enthusiast
nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS700, T1, Kobo Libra
I'm a woman who's still using Sony T1. I've been thinking of upgrading my device and have been doing occasional research into new devices since last year, because much as I still love my T1, it's starting to need more frequent resetting and I'm afraid it's going to die on me soon.

I looked into Kindle devices and Kobo Clara. All looked good but none looked quite right for me. So I've still been in shopping mode, until I read about Kobo Libra. I'll, of course, wait for more reviews but right now I'm about 85% sold on it.

I wanted to add my opinion on this, even though as others have pointed out, we all have different preferences.
nightcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #33
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcolors View Post
Kobo Libra. I'll, of course, wait for more reviews but right now I'm about 85% sold on it.
Did you look at the Kobo Forma also? If so, why do you prefer the Libra?

Thanks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #34
nightcolors
Enthusiast
nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Did you look at the Kobo Forma also? If so, why do you prefer the Libra?

Thanks.
I did. The size is just a bit too big. I like to bring my ereader when I go out on errands. It's more convenient to have a smaller size when I want to read while standing about in a line. Bigger sizes are all right when I'm at home and can have the reader leaning on a table, but to hold it up for longer periods of time would hurt my wrist. And I'd rather not spend $300 (CAD) for an ereader. Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #35
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcolors View Post
Bigger sizes are all right when I'm at home and can have the reader leaning on a table, but to hold it up for longer periods of time would hurt my wrist.
the forma is a very lightweight device for its size, nearly same weight as libra according to the specs (197g vs 192g)

flexible display instead of glass substrate + reinforcement seems to make a big difference
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #36
nightcolors
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
the forma is a very lightweight device for its size, nearly same weight as libra according to the specs (197g vs 192g)

flexible display instead of glass substrate + reinforcement seems to make a big difference
Hmm. Sounds like I should take a better look at Forma. It still seems a bit too big to me for carrying around in my bag, but I'll compare the spec more carefully. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #37
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm trying to decide between the Forma and Libra for myself:

Forma: Pro - 32GB option and large screen size for reading PDFs. Con - larger form factor potentially leading to wrist issues especially out and about. I'm also concerned about putting it into my day pack with all the other junk I carry around even with a case. Too expensive to buy without trying.

Libra: Pro - smaller form factor and can fit easily into my day pack. Lower price makes an un-trialled buy less problematic if things don't work out. Con - no mention of upgraded storage to 32GB. Not sure about reading PDFs on the smaller screen.

I'm not bothered about reading epubs; that's OK. I have around 20GB of rpg PDFs sitting unread in iCloud and I dislike reading on a laptop or desktop.

I may wait until the end of the month and see if John Lewis Oxford Street get a Libra in store so I can compare the two.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:38 AM   #38
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I'm trying to decide between the Forma and Libra for myself:

Forma: Pro - 32GB option and large screen size for reading PDFs. Con - larger form factor potentially leading to wrist issues especially out and about. .

Have you compared the weights? The Forma is 197 grams (and could be taken out of a case for reading more safely than a Libra could), and the Libra is 192 grams and many sensible people would want it in a case all of the time.

The Kobo H2O2 is 207 grams so I've started looked at the Forma again (having initially decided to wait).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #39
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Have you compared the weights? The Forma is 197 grams (and could be taken out of a case for reading more safely than a Libra could), and the Libra is 192 grams and many sensible people would want it in a case all of the time.

The Kobo H2O2 is 207 grams so I've started looked at the Forma again (having initially decided to wait).
Which is why I need to try out both before deciding. Roughly the same weight in a smaller form factor may well be better for me as there's less (for want of a better term) angular momentum.

We'll see - I may end up sticking with my Icarus for the time being and taking on the bloke's old iPad (the SIM connection is borked and he's been given a voucher to get a replacement whereas I use data via my iPhone).
Old 09-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which is why I need to try out both before deciding. Roughly the same weight in a smaller form factor may well be better for me as there's less (for want of a better term) angular momentum.
Yes, it definitely depends on when/how you read and what exactly is going on with your arms. I have chronic hand/wrist issues and am very interested in the Forma now - at around the same weight without needing it to always be in a case (which adds significant weight if it's reasonably protective) - that's a draw. I could keep it in a sleeve for screen protection if I put it in a bag, but most of my reading is at home.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #41
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
I have severe arthritis, and had practically all the kobos since my first (the glo). The Forma was the kindest on my hands: it is very well balanced, and there is an easy grip, so I can read one-handed easily for hours at a time, whether seated, lying, or (not hours fortunately) standing - gripping a pole in public transport. I don't use a cover.
I doubt the "angular momentum" would make that much difference between 7" an 8" displays since a big part of the weight should be in the grip side.

The Clara on the other hand I find not easy to hold without cover, but fairly comfortable with it's origami cover. It is much heavier (267 g) than the naked Forma (197 g) though, but of course more suitable for small handbags.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #42
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I have severe arthritis, and had practically all the kobos since my first (the glo). The Forma was the kindest on my hands: it is very well balanced, and there is an easy grip, so I can read one-handed easily for hours at a time, whether seated, lying, or (not hours fortunately) standing - gripping a pole in public transport. I don't use a cover.
I doubt the "angular momentum" would make that much difference between 7" an 8" displays since a big part of the weight should be in the grip side.

The Clara on the other hand I find not easy to hold without cover, but fairly comfortable with it's origami cover. It is much heavier (267 g) than the naked Forma (197 g) though, but of course more suitable for small handbags.
Balance! That's what I was aiming at. So far arthritis hasn't really affected me (apart from arthritis in my thumb joints from thumb typing on my Palm m500), but the tendonitis in both wrists is a consideration for me, hence I am worried I'll need to hold it higher up with my arm angled up more than I do now.

How does the Forma feel if you read in landscape mode with the grip below? I suspect for some of the PDFs I need to read I'll need to use landscape and I don't always have access to a table to rest my device on (especially on the train where sometimes getting a seat is difficult).

The only other Kobo I've had is a Touch which I kept in a Kindle case (hey, it was going cheap at PC World and it fitted). I used to read it one handed with one hand through the elastic strap on the case. I currently use an Icarus and can read that one-handed but don't like doing so because there's no hand strap.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #43
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The only other Kobo I've had is a Touch which I kept in a Kindle case (hey, it was going cheap at PC World and it fitted). I used to read it one handed with one hand through the elastic strap on the case. I currently use an Icarus and can read that one-handed but don't like doing so because there's no hand strap.
There are lots and lots of third-party device grip/strap options on the market. Some adhere to the back of a device, others stretch across the back over opposite corners.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #44
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There are lots and lots of third-party device grip/strap options on the market. Some adhere to the back of a device, others stretch across the back over opposite corners.
The Icarus came with a sleep case so adding a strap would add to the weight. (Taking my iPad out of the Studio Proper case and hand strap significantly reduced the weight...) . I know the type you mean and in fact my iPad now has a sleep cover and a couple of Pom Gear finger straps on the back which work well. I've also seen the diagonal straps.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:01 AM   #45
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Icarus came with a sleep case so adding a strap would add to the weight..
I was suggesting it more when considering the Forma, which doesn't necessarily need to be in a case full-time. You could add functionality/relieve wrist issues by just adding a grip/strap, without adding the weight of a case as well.