Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
A few off the top of my head...

https://bookviewcafe.com
https://weightlessbooks.com/
https://www.angryrobotbooks.com
https://dragonmount.com/store/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
None of thsoe sell books in any language but English. And none of those publishers sell books from the larger publishers.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
None of thsoe sell books in any language but English. And none of those publishers sell books from the larger publishers.
Well, yes, of course. But it isn't true that you can buy Kindle-compatible books only from Amazon. Whether you want to buy elsewhere or not, that's another matter.

Books are sold only in epub format in my native language too. But as Kindles were rather popular here a few years ago, most local booksellers put instructions on their webpages how to convert the books with Calibre (ebooks here use watermarking for DRM). I have to confess that I rarely buy ebooks in Estonian, though, because they're generally much more expensive than English-language ebooks.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #19
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Also Gutenberg.com (which also has books in languages other than English)
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:07 AM   #20
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Books are sold only in epub format in my native language too. But as Kindles were rather popular here a few years ago, most local booksellers put instructions on their webpages how to convert the books with Calibre (ebooks here use watermarking for DRM). I have to confess that I rarely buy ebooks in Estonian, though, because they're generally much more expensive than English-language ebooks.
That's why I started with leaving Calibre out of the equation. I don't even want to try to explain to my mother-in-law how to work with that...

And the Dutch spelling has shifted terribly since the 1950's or 1960's. I find reading books from the gutenberg library very difficult to read. And again, no recent authors I might want to read.

If I want a book, from a popular author, in Dutch, without using Calibre on my Kindle, I can only go to Amazon. If I want a book, from a popular author, in Dutch, without using Calibre on my Kobo, I can go to 3 or 4 stores.

No matter that there are some small publishers and/or stores that sell DRM-free books, in English, or sites that offer ancient books, the fact is that if you have a kindle and don't know how to remove DRM and work with Calibre, and want to read the books that are currently popular (which is the majority of the ereading world), you are forced to go to the Amazon store. If you have a reader that can also read epubs, you have a much larger selection in stores where you can buy books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #21
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Silly copyright laws force Amazon to block me from amazon.de, amazon.co.uk, amazon.whatever.
You've heard of VPN's, right?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
You've heard of VPN's, right?
Of course, the issue is book contracts, not copyright laws, as well. There is nothing in copyright laws that says I can't buy a book in England that isn't available in the US. Heck, people do that with paper books all the time. My original copy of Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler was purchased for me by my parents a long time ago when they were visiting London.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #23
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Of course, the issue is book contracts, not copyright laws, as well. There is nothing in copyright laws that says I can't buy a book in England that isn't available in the US. Heck, people do that with paper books all the time. My original copy of Campaigns of Napoleon by David Chandler was purchased for me by my parents a long time ago when they were visiting London.
To sum up, it's not a public/political but a private/economical issue.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote