Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #1
Archaleon
Archaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo mini
Kobo mini disk image not successfull.

Hey guys !

I made a disk image of my Kobo mini using Win32DiskImager.
It created me a file with no extention.
Note that I made this disk image with the mini plugged in my computer.

Latter on, I f**** up something, I wanted to put back my original image, using again Win32, and this time a microSD/ SD adaptor because I could not use the cable to mini anymore.

It seemed to work all right, I could browse from the Sd slot on my computer the content I used to browse when I connected the mini.

However, after putting the SD card to the mini, nothing works :
No lights or nothing with the power button, nothing detected if I plug in the mini to the PC...

Tried format the SD and reinstal the image again, few times, didn't work.

Do you guys have any idea where the problem is ? Did I make a mistake by creating the image from the Kobo and not from the SD adaptor ?

Does anyone could send me image of the Kobo ?
Dunno which version it is exactly though... (where can I find it if I can't turn Kobo on ?)

Thanks for your help guys !
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but you can't make a working image that way. Or at least I've never heard of a way to do it with the SD card mounted in the device. The device only presents the user partition to the PC, so the image you have made is only of that partition.

I have sent you a PM with a link to an image for the Mini. You should be able to write that to the card and get your Mini running.
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, but you can't make a working image that way. Or at least I've never heard of a way to do it with the SD card mounted in the device. The device only presents the user partition to the PC, so the image you have made is only of that partition.

I have sent you a PM with a link to an image for the Mini. You should be able to write that to the card and get your Mini running.

And I just saw you PM
Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Archaleon
Archaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blueArchaleon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

That is what I started fearing afterward !

Thanks a lot for the image !
However I have a problem, the image is slightly too big... (well, it is way too big for the 2gb SD that I have on my Kobo.)

I took the one of my phone instead which is a 4gb, but I still lack a bit : 7744512 sectors needed, and I have 7733248 available...
Do you have a smaller image, or can it be worked out with a partition software?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry, that's the only image for the Mini I have. The Mini it was taken from must have had a 4GB card in it. Resizing the user partition will work. A lot of people have replaced the cards in their readers with larger cards and expanded the user partition to fill it. I don't know if there is a way to resize it in the image before restoring it.

Edit:
Actually, I just unpacked the image. The allocated space is only 2GB. This is common in the Mini and Glo. They were originally built for 2GB and the image the factory uses is sized for that. Some have a 4GB card and but they still use the same image in the factory. Again, I don't know if this image can be written to a smaller card or not.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-24-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My mini only had 2Gb SD card. I was going to install much larger card but settled on 4 Gb. Easy to expand the 2Gb partition of the image written to larger Sd card or shrink image to fit smaller sd card. Can also change fat fomat on sd card so larger card can be used than normally allowed by Kobo reader.

Last edited by filmo; 03-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Archaleon

Okay guys,

I mannaged to stick the content of the image into the card using Mini tool partition Wizard, and a USB key as intermediary device.

However, still nothing happens when I try to turn it on... I m starting to run out of ideas...

Is it possible that the image does not correspond to my kobo ? ( if someone else would be kind enough to send me his :-) )

Last edited by Archaleon; 03-24-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: picture
Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaleon View Post
Okay guys,

I mannaged to stick the content of the image into the card using Mini tool partition Wizard, and a USB key as intermediary device.

However, still nothing happens when I try to turn it on... I m starting to run out of ideas...

Is it possible that the image does not correspond to my kobo ? ( if someone else would be kind enough to send me his :-) )
I'm not sure what you are showing in those two images. I assume the top is the image supplied on a USB stick and the bottom is what you have transferred to the SD card.

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as getting those three partitions onto the card. There are other things outside the partitions. If you look inside the firmware upgrade packages, you will find uBoot and uImage files. These contain boot records and the kernel. These are written to the start of the card outside the normal. I think that in transferring the partitions to the SD card, you have not also transferred these parts of the original image.

I don't know what to suggest. I can't think of a way to write the image to the cards you have. If you get an 8GB card, it should work. Or hopefully someone will come along who knows how to do it.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #10
Archaleon

Yes you are correct the top image is the USB and the down is the SD card. I used a "copy all disk and fit it to the new disk" option, but maybe you are right it forgot some files...

I asked on the french forum for another image. I hope to get a small enough one to get it on the 2 or 4gb SD card

Will keep you upedated, someone is trying to send it to me.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It sounds like you are using the wrong method of writing the image to the card. You need to use a program that copies the entire raw image, not just the filesystem. In Linux you would use dd, but in Windows you need to install something I think. The instructions in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122 mention a program called "Flash Drive Image Writer" for doing this.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Since the size of the user partition has not been changed and the part after the user partition is unused, there is no need to do any changes to the partitions. All you have to do is to truncate the image file. I do not know which tool you will use for this purpose. Just for reference, under linux you would (if the filename is KOBO-MINI.img):
truncate --size=1960838144 KOBO-MINI.img

I calculated the size from a mini image that I have. It should be the same with your image.

For writing the image to sd, I am usually using USB Duplicator Image Writer.exe (under Windows).

Last edited by tshering; 03-25-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #13
diralark
diralark began at the beginning.

Device: K o b o m i n i
I did it 5 min : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=15

It saves my kobo mini + 4gb Sd card ! (But it needed to open the device and get a sd card reader device)
Tested & 100% working now (Updating by kobo Inc to the last firmware )

I used "USB Image Tool.exe" to write it to the kibi mini

Maybe u can change size of the last partition with a Disk Manager sofware if u want absoltly a 2gb card. Finally that s the opposite of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QGYk2q80M
so try it !

Last edited by diralark; 03-25-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 AM   #14
Archaleon

Yes Diralark that what I was trying to do, but not mannaged because it always forgot some keys or something, as davidfor supposed.

Anyway, I mannageg to get a 2gb image from someone else, and with this one it worked instantanly.

So my problem is solved, thanks guys for your help !

I learned a lot !
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
Markus85
Markus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blueMarkus85 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Mini
Hello,
I have a similar problem as creator of this topic. My stupidity managed to wipe out my Kobo Mini SD card clean. Is there anyone who could send me an image for 2GB SD drive please?
Closed Thread