Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
ADE in linux w/ WINE - sucess recogonizing device

While Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) runs under linux using WINE, there has been a problem getting ADE to recognize the device (be it a Pocketbook or other e-reader) and then to authorize the device. I just updated my linux distro and had another go around with installing WINE, so I tinkered a bit and finally got ADE to recognize my 360 & authorize it!

Here are the steps:

1. Attach your reader to your PC and find the mount point. My 360, for instance, shows up as /media/Pocket101.
2. Assuming WINE is installed, open Winecfg.
3. Select the "Drives" tab.
4. Click the "Show Advanced" button.
5. Now add a drive. For me the next available drive was the "E" drive.
6. Under "Path" enter your mount point (you can browse right to this).
7. For "Type" select "Floppy disk". (ADE only recognizes removable drives).
8. Complete adding the drive and shut down Winecfg.
9. With the e-reader connected to your computer, open ADE under Wine. It doesn't work for me if you connect the reader after opening ADE.
Hopefully, you will see your reader, and if it hasn't been authorized, ADE will prompt you with the question of whether or not you want to.

Cheers
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
celemark
Enthusiast
celemark doesn't littercelemark doesn't litter

Device: EBookwise-1150, PocketBook 360, Kindle 3 SO 3G, PocketBook Touch Lux 5
I've thought about trying this in the past, but figured it would be difficult to set up correctly. What distro, kernel and version of Wine are you using?
celemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by celemark View Post
I've thought about trying this in the past, but figured it would be difficult to set up correctly. What distro, kernel and version of Wine are you using?
I'm running openSUSE 11.4 & Wine 1.3.12. I don't think it will matter though, as I think as long as you have wineconfig installed you should be able to set up the device as a floppy drive and have it recognized in ADE.
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:24 AM   #4
herr_sternlein
herr_sternlein began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Thank you very much, thersites! Your howto still works in 2024. On my linux system with wine, ADE 4.5 didn't see my Kobo touch. Choosing "floppy disc" in winecfg and plugging in the Kobo before starting ADE was the solution.
herr_sternlein is offline   Reply With Quote