Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
How do I use "URLLink.acsm" file from Borders.com? (ADE in Wine)

I did it! I went back to Borders and bought a Sony Touch. Then I bought a DRM encrusted book, but I can't download it.

I installed Analog Digital Editions (ADE) in Wine on Fedora 14.
I gave it my adobe ID, and it seemed happy.

I went to Borders.com and bought a book.
They sent me email with a link to download to book.
I downloaded it, but I ended up with a small XML file named URLLink.acsm that describe the book I bought.
I went to the ADE menu to "Add item to menu", but the dialog only allows me to select .epub and .pdf files, not .acsm files.

If I really have to, eventually I'll call or email Borders for help. But it's just disgustingly predictable that they will hide behind the canard that they don't support Linux.

Has anyone else bought a book from Borders?
What do I do?
How do I get my book?
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Oh wait! I just saw this line in the XML file:
Code:
<src>http://ecimages.shortcovers.com/b...3.epub</src>
I downloaded it. Now I have an .epub file.

But alas! I tried to add it to ADE and it threw up an error
Code:
IO Error on local file open

Path:
Event Detail:
Error #2038

Any ideas?
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The .acsm file is actually a license to download the epub book. I have no experience with Linux but typically you will open the .acsm and that should ask you which program to wish to open it with or automatically select the correct program which should be ADE.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with Linux will be able to provide more specific help.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Did the epub file save to your computer or did it automatically attempt to open in ADE?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Did the epub file save to your computer or did it automatically attempt to open in ADE?
It saved to a file.

I wonder if ADE uses the information in the XML file to add parameters to the URL so the shortcovers.com site can encrypt it with a key for me.

I'm looking around for those inept python files to clean off the DRM, but I've only found a version that's specific to Windows or Mac, that tries to open use Windows DLLs. I suppose I could install windows python under Wine, but that's kind of offensive. The hallmark of scripting languages like python is that they are supposed to be platform independent. I'm mucking with it to see if I can clean out the Windows-specificity.

I paid for this book. I paid the full asking price. It's evil and wrong that I have to fight tooth and nail to read it just because I reject a bad OS.
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Can you try downloading the book from your account on Borders.com again?

This time, choose to OPEN the file, NOT save it. That's always worked for me.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard

And when you choose the OPEN option is does automatically save the file (at least it does in Windows).
Old 11-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I always save the acsm file. Mac doesn't give you an open option like Windows when downloading. You need to make sure the acsm file type is associated with ADE. I would suggest the following steps. Go to the acsm file on your hard-drive. Right click on it and you should have an "open with" option. Select Adobe Digital Edition. That should launch ADE and import the book. Works for Windows and Mac at least. Good luck!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-15-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Can Calibre be configured to automatically download the epub using the acsm? I noticed that Sony's Reader Library automatically downloads the epub when I grab an ascm from Kobo.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
Can Calibre be configured to automatically download the epub using the acsm? I noticed that Sony's Reader Library automatically downloads the epub when I grab an ascm from Kobo.
The ePub must be downloaded using with Sony or ADE. These are the only two programs that will work with the DRM used by Adobe. Once the book is initially downloaded you can then copy it to Calibre but the initial step must be either Sony or ADE.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #11
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Go to the acsm file on your hard-drive. Right click on it and you should have an "open with" option. Select Adobe Digital Edition. That should launch ADE and import the book.
I've observed that answers from the Windows world almost always feature Windows-centric actions. That is, answers center on how to use Windows software, not on what is actually happening. Right clicking doesn't tell me how the file is passed to to ADE. Fortunately, I know to search the registry for the appropriate shell variable that contains the command syntax that Windows uses when it opens something. In this case, it simply passes it on the ADE command line with no switch. Though I never got that to work, either in Wine or my Windows virtual machine.

Sorry. I don't mean to gripe at you for trying to help me. I'm just mentioning an observation.

I finally got the book transferred to my Sony Touch and am reading it. (Yeah!)

But I'm very disappointed at the process. The only way I could do it was to us the [very insecure] Internet Explorer browser in my WindowsXP virtual machine (in VirtualBox on Fedora Linux). I downloaded the book again from Borders and the Sony Reader Library application (which I also installed) popped up.

From there it was not at all obvious how to get it to my device. I fumbled around for a while before I found I could right click on the book and choose copy and then right click on the device (but not it's directories) and choose paste. There is no way to use a menu to transfer it. And of course there is no way to script it.

This is very inconvenient. I'm going to work on getting the DRM stripping thing working and then working smoothly so I can buy books and transfer them easily to my reader.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ken, I am glad that you finally got the book onto your device. Actually I am a Mac OS X user, and my Apple mouse doesn't have two buttons. But, I find that if one speaks in the universal Windows context it sometimes helps to point in the right direction. ADE for Mac doesn't even recognize the Sony ereaders. Therefore, I also have to use a Windows virtual machine (VMWare Fusion in my case) if I want to transfer files to my Sony via ADE. I am also familiar with WINE. Fortunately, Sony finally released a Mac version of the Reader Library about one year ago which makes the above steps unnecessary now. Until then many Mac users simply opted not to buy the Sony ereaders because they didn't want to go through the workarounds. Unfortunately, Sony still isn't very friendly with Linux users.

I have several programs that don't have Mac equivalents. I also have hardware peripherals that the manufacturers refuse to support Mac. So I understand your frustrations at using an alternate operating system in a Windows-centric world.

Like I said, glad you got it to work and thanks for sharing what you did. I am sorry you couldn't find a simpler process. I hope more Linux users join MobileRead so they can help you more directly. Happy ereading!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-17-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I have one more suggestion for you. My experience with virtual machines is that inside the virtual environment it functions similar to how the operating system would on a regular machine. It's been over a year since I've transferred books to my reader that way (since there is now Sony Mac software), but I did a testcase for you.

I used VMWare Fusion on my Mac to run a Windows XP virtual machine. On my Windows XP virtual machine, I have installed Adobe Digital Editions for PC, Sony Reader Library for PC and Internet Explorer. They are all authorized to the same Adobe and Sony accounts as my ereader (as are my Mac versions of the same software). I attached my ereader to my computer via USB, and it shows up as an E: drive in My Computer on the Windows XP virtual machine. I then opened IE and logged into the Borders website and went to My eBooks Library. I selected a book to "Download EPUB". When prompted I chose the option to Save which puts the acsm file on my hard-drive. I opened up the download folder with Windows Explorer on my virtual machine and then right-clicked on the acsm file and selected Open With > ADE. This action then autolaunched ADE, autoimported the EPUB file into ADE and it autosaved a copy of the EPUB file into the folder "My Documents > My Digital Editions" on my computer. On the other hand, when downloading from the Borders website, I could have selected the option 'Open" and it would have done the same actions above to autolaunch ADE, autoimport and autosave the EPUB file into the same folder.

Back when I used to use ADE for PC, I recall that my ereader would show up within the ADE software as a device and then I could move books in the ADE Library over to the ereader easily. During this test for you, I could view the downloaded book just fine within ADE, but my ereader didn't show up in ADE. No worries because I know it's already authorized to the same account as ADE. Instead I closed ADE. Inside the Windows virtual machine, I opened up Windows Explorer and copied over the EPUB file from "My Documents > Digital Editions" to "E:database>media>books" on my ereader. Then I ejected my reader from the virtual machine. I disconnected the USB cable. I waited for the book to load and the ereader to show the Home screen. I was then able to open and view my book just fine.

I should note that I have my computer partitioned such that I have Mac OS X on one partition and Windows XP installed on the other partition. When I open the Virtual Machine on the Mac side, I point to this other partition. It might make the file structure and sharing different from how you are running your Virtual Machine. Anyway, perhaps it gives you some other ideas to try that are simpler than the method that you found. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Never mind. Pointless to carry this on.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
KenJackson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
When prompted I chose the option to Save which puts the acsm file on my hard-drive. I opened up the download folder with Windows Explorer on my virtual machine and then right-clicked on the acsm file and selected Open With > ADE. This action then autolaunched ADE, autoimported the EPUB file into ADE and it autosaved a copy of the EPUB file into the folder "My Documents > My Digital Editions" on my computer. ...
No worries because I know it's already authorized to the same account as ADE. Instead I closed ADE. Inside the Windows virtual machine, I opened up Windows Explorer and copied over the EPUB file from "My Documents > Digital Editions" to "E:database>media>books" on my ereader. ... I was then able to open and view my book just fine.
I'm surprised that worked.

I've only bought the one book so far (though I've also grabbed several older free books). I'll have to do some experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Never mind. Pointless to carry this on.
Pointless for you or for me? The point is, I'm making progress.