Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Wonderful release notes
But yet, completely accurate. The release is for the Libra H2O only. That device is getting bug fixes and stability improvements. When there is a release for the other devices, hopefully it will have more details.

And the version number rang a bell. It was mentioned in the Libra H2O thread last week. The difference is probably that @geek1011 has worked out the id to use to search for the firmware. Somewhere commented was that this is a temporary release probably intended just for reviewers or anyone who received the device early. Unless you want to play, I wouldn't bother with this version. Especially if you only read epubs (not all the new navigation was working on non-kepubs and there were still bugs in the kepub handling). There will be an update closer to the official Libra H2O release date. Whether that is also released to other devices at the same time, I don't know.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-11-2019 at 08:35 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Just installed on Forma and all fine. Loving the new header and footer.

Attachment 173414
Hey, I have Pachinko, but haven't read it yet. How is it?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Just installed on Forma and all fine. Loving the new header and footer.

Attachment 173414
Looking at the picture, it seems like you should be able to fit another line of text between the bottom line and the footer. Looks like there will still be a use for custom footer height.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #34
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Ok I took the plunge and installed this on my Forma. Installation went smoothly which isn’t really a surprise.

In book UI is nice it will take some getting used to but the reduction in redundant buttons is welcome. People who dislike change take a breath every option seems to still be there though as noted elsewhere the show header and footer options have been renamed and allow you to pick from a few selections.

Issues I can see people having which I think will be fixed once patches are out:

1) Both the header and footer still take up space even when set to ‘off’. This is especially true of the header which still seems to consume a not insignificant amount of the screen both when enabled or disabled though it may be less than it did in previous firmware.

Really that’s it though to really maximize the text on screen will require a few patches all ones that have been mentioned in the Libra thread in this forum by Geek. And of course the various tweaks some patches allow. It’s just odd that displaying nothing still takes up as much space as it does.

Interestingly the progress bar either takes up so little space that with the header and footer as they are disabling or enabling it does not impact the amount of text I can get on the screen.

The screensaver tweak still works and was not affected by the update likewise if you enable invert mode via the patch that replaced show adobe page numbers or by enabling developer settings and then enabling the invert mode it sticks as does access to developer settings (not that I should need to say it but the adobe page numbers option is back to what it was so until patches come out disabling and enabling invert mode has to be done the long way).

I’m not sure if the chapter graph was fixed so it won’t need to be patched (forgive me the name of the person who made this patch escapes me I think it was Oren?).

Obviously the suite of patches that adjust various things about the Kobo experience are going to vary in demand person to person. I only focused on the header and footer because it’s one that has been popular in the past and has proven to be troublesome from what I’ve seen.

I’m open to any questions from folks and I’ll test things out if needed for patches
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #35
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey, I have Pachinko, but haven't read it yet. How is it?
Yes good so far. Essentially a story spanning years and years of a Korean family living in Japan. Very much like A Fine Balance but looking at Koreans.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #36
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Wonderful release notes
I have to accept blame for frequently comparing Kobo to Amazon and pointing out the places Kobo falls short.. But it does irk me how consistently they copy the bad things about Amazon.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #37
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And the version number rang a bell. It was mentioned in the Libra H2O thread last week. The difference is probably that @geek1011 has worked out the id to use to search for the firmware. Somewhere commented was that this is a temporary release probably intended just for reviewers or anyone who received the device early. Unless you want to play, I wouldn't bother with this version. Especially if you only read epubs (not all the new navigation was working on non-kepubs and there were still bugs in the kepub handling). There will be an update closer to the official Libra H2O release date. Whether that is also released to other devices at the same time, I don't know.
Yep. And as well as reviewers and early devices, it is useful for getting a head start on the patches . There are so many which the new one breaks, and many of them break silently (as they left the old reader in too). The refactoring also means I need to update my offset-finding scripts, as many of the patterns I look for have changed. I would agree that this release is probably temporary, since it was built in August. As for releasing to other devices, judging by past patterns, an identical version would probably be released within a week or two.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #38
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Does the new firmware allow for Kobo's font customization controls to work with sideloaded fonts, or will that still require a patch?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #39
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Does the new firmware allow for Kobo's font customization controls to work with sideloaded fonts, or will that still require a patch?
It still needs a patch.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #40
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh FFS,, turning off the headers/footers doesnt' recover any space,, if anything, it increases the margins. The top margin is especially ugly.. I'm immediately reverting my format to previous firmware... will test again if fixed for the official forma release,, but not impressed. at all.

Edit: I should correct my statement that turning off the bottom header does seem to recover the space, but turning off the top header.... doesn't work as expected.. this might be a glitch from using an unsupported screen size.

Last edited by rashkae; 09-11-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #41
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
oh FFS,, turning off the headers/footers doesnt' recover any space,, if anything, it increases the margins. The top margin is especially ugly.. I'm immediately reverting my format to previous firmware... will test again if fixed for the official forma release,, but not impressed. at all.
I will look into this for the patches. GeoffR may also do it as well.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #42
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
It still needs a patch.
Thank you.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #43
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yeah I tried reading with this for a bit the header and footer gobble too much space. Reverted back to 4.15.

I’ll either wait until patches or until a more official release if that resolves the issue of the empty header and footer taking space up. Otherwise the experience has been bug free for me
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 AM   #44
rashkae
Wizard

Even more inanity, they've removed the main menu from the book menu, forcing an extra switch to home screen ,, <sigh>
Old 09-12-2019, 03:06 AM   #45
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unless you want to play, I wouldn't bother with this version. Especially if you only read epubs (not all the new navigation was working on non-kepubs and there were still bugs in the kepub handling).
@davidfor, an epub has not touched my Kobo reader ever since I discovered kepub (I think, this current one for sure) . And playing... let's say that my shell for automate the patches and so on.... isn´t in place because I don't like to play

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 09-12-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobofirmware, libra