Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The one thing I wish Kobo would imitate from Kindle...

I'm sitting (not literally) on five Kobos; the three most recent can be seen to the left. I'm not immune to gadget lust, but while I see the appeal of the newest offerings in each of the three sizes, none of them is enough of an improvement over what I've got that I can justify shelling out for them.

But. Amazon has that buyback program. I'd be thrilled, thrilled if I could send along my older devices to Kobo in exchange for a nominal credit and a discount on a new device. Between the savings and not having perfectly good devices sitting around moribund, I'd be sold. Why doesn't Kobo institute a similar program?

Yeah, I know I could try to sell my old devices and offset the price of something new, but it's more effort than I'm prepared to make. Amazon makes it so easy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
you could always sell them on ebay
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
you could always sell them on ebay
Was my last para too grayed-out to be legible?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But. Amazon has that buyback program.
Only in your country, I think, not here in the UK as far as I know. But yes it would relieve some of the guilt of buying shiny new toys if we could all trade-in (probably for peanuts).

As it is, I have to console myself that I've got a ready supply of sacrificial goats when I want to try new firmware and/or patches without disrupting my day-to-day reading.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Only in your country, I think, not here in the UK as far as I know. But yes it would relieve some of the guilt of buying shiny new toys if we could all trade-in (probably for peanuts).

As it is, I have to console myself that I've got a ready supply of sacrificial goats when I want to try new firmware and/or patches without disrupting my day-to-day reading.
Yes, it's only in the US.

I did sell two of my older Kindles on a local virtual marketplace recently. To relieve my guilt over splurging on the Oasis 3 and the new Nook, I suppose.

I've wanted a Kobo for a while now, but for some reason don't find either the Forma or the Libra all that tempting. Still, if the reviews and personal experiences of the Libra should prove overwhelmingly positive, perhaps I will be tempted enough to get it...
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
...if the reviews and personal experiences of the Libra should prove overwhelmingly positive, perhaps I will be tempted enough to get it...
It's a Kobo. Prepare for light bleed/weird screen lighting issues

Honestly, I do love my Kobo readers, but their history on new device releases
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
I'm sitting (not literally) on five Kobos; the three most recent can be seen to the left. I'm not immune to gadget lust, but while I see the appeal of the newest offerings in each of the three sizes, none of them is enough of an improvement over what I've got that I can justify shelling out for them.

But. Amazon has that buyback program. I'd be thrilled, thrilled if I could send along my older devices to Kobo in exchange for a nominal credit and a discount on a new device. Between the savings and not having perfectly good devices sitting around moribund, I'd be sold. Why doesn't Kobo institute a similar program?

Yeah, I know I could try to sell my old devices and offset the price of something new, but it's more effort than I'm prepared to make. Amazon makes it so easy.

Kobo only deals in books and ereaders. That is their bread and butter. Amazon is much bigger and can afford a buyback program. I'm with everyone else. Just sell them on eBay or even better control your "gadget lust". Lol.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's a Kobo. Prepare for light bleed/weird screen lighting issues

Honestly, I do love my Kobo readers, but their history on new device releases
Yeah... one can always hope.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:

Or You could sit down (literally) on Your Kobos and then You will need Clara, Libra and Forma

Seriously: I am also tempted by Forma, I don't want to become a device collector but...

Last edited by ps67; 09-10-2019 at 06:31 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
...or even better control your "gadget lust". Lol.
Where's the fun in that
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Kindle trade-in values are based on original MSRP, I noticed (e.g. all PW generations are $25 on trade-in). The real deal here is the 25% off discount on new Kindles on top of the trade-in credit (even when sending in broken Kindles). This makes it a lot more affordable to upgrade (and entices people to stay in the Kindle ecosystem).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-10-2019 at 08:20 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
... The real deal here is the 25% off discount on new Kindles on top of the trade-in credit ...
Is that another US-only thing? You guys don't know you're born

Quote:
...and entices people to stay in the Kindle ecosystem...
I guess that's why I've never been sucked in, beyond very occasional purchases.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:22 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Give them to friends. Amazon makes many things too easy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Kindle trade-in values are based on original MSRP, I noticed (e.g. all PW generations are $25 on trade-in). The real deal here is the 25% off discount on new Kindles on top of the trade-in credit (even when sending in broken Kindles). This makes it a lot more affordable to upgrade (and entices people to stay in the Kindle ecosystem).

This. The trade-in value for my Kindle Touch was very minimal, but the 25% off new price on Oasis 2 irresistible. And I sold my Kindle Voyage on eBay for considerably more than the offered trade-in, so new device savings all 'round. I wanted the Kindle for testing and proofreading, but my primary reader is Kobo, so it was impossible to justify full price on the Kindle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
What I wish Kobo would provide would be the ability to upload personal docs/books to a cloud and sync like Kindle.

Think that would attract more people to Kobo than a trade-in program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote