Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
embedded fonts & kindles

I've been experimenting with a test EPUB and using embedded fonts and I have to say that it really tickles my fancy. I don't follow the publishing industry but I'm wondering if authors are vexed that the Kindle format doesn't support embedded fonts and clamoring for it.

And then there's this review of e-readers on Ars Technica where the author never mentions the advantages of epub versus the kindle format.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320288
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Fonts can be embedded in Kindle books.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yup. Since late 2011. No clamoring necessary.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, ok; I'm merely displaying my ignorance then. But I still think EPUB is better.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And you're free to think one or the other needs to be.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard

Well, open standards typically are better. On a similar note, I'm not anti-DRM, just anti vendor specific DRM; the usual lock-in crap. If Amazon, Kobo, B&N, etc. had some open standard DRM so that we could buy EPUB books from any of them and use on any of their devices that would much nicer.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Well, open standards typically are better. On a similar note, I'm not anti-DRM, just anti vendor specific DRM; the usual lock-in crap. If Amazon, Kobo, B&N, etc. had some open standard DRM so that we could buy EPUB books from any of them and use on any of their devices that would much nicer.
Well, not for me. I want to be able to edit my books. Can't do that with DRM, vendor-specific or not. Watermarking would be fine with me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, not for me. I want to be able to edit my books. Can't do that with DRM, vendor-specific or not. Watermarking would be fine with me.
Good point; I'd forgotten about that. Although not being able to edit them wouldn't be the end of the world for me.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I buy 'em, read 'em and move on. Makes no difference to me if it's proprietary/open, or DRM/DRM-free. I'm strictly in it for the reading (usually once): reading whatever I want, where ever I want, on whatever I have to hand, at whatever font-size I want, when I want. The other stuff has become like that noise all the adults make on Charlie Brown to me.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I buy 'em, read 'em and move on. Makes no difference to me if it's proprietary/open, or DRM/DRM-free. I'm strictly in it for the reading (usually once): reading whatever I want, where ever I want, on whatever I have to hand, at whatever font-size I want, when I want. The other stuff has become like that noise all the adults make on Charlie Brown to me.
Yep. When I start reading a book I didn't fiddle with it annoys me at first but then I settle down and keep reading, and then wonder why I let it bother me in the first place. And of course I never worry about that stuff in a printed book. So silly.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People are different. I like to re-read, I also re-watch the movies I've liked. I like to read slowly, so I can enjoy the journey. Formatting is an important part of my ability to enjoy it.

You're possibly more goal-oriented.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Yep. When I start reading a book I didn't fiddle with it annoys me at first but then I settle down and keep reading, and then wonder why I let it bother me in the first place. And of course I never worry about that stuff in a printed book. So silly.
I'm a total opposite. The more I read, the more it starts to bother me, until I'm totally unable to concentrate.

As to print books, they were much better formatted than most ebooks. They didn't have ragged right, spaces between paragraphs or huge text-indents (my three pet peeves in ebooks).
Old 05-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Maybe, but what I want is a good story. If it's a good story that I'm enjoying all the rest of that stuff just fades into the background.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope. I read terribly slow, and I have no goals.

But you're right: people are different. And that's fine by me. I was merely addressing how formats and DRM have become invisible to me. Ebooks are just books for me again. Books I can start reading immediately after discovering them.