Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Thank you, everyone. I've decided to give it a try. I don't see any new big e-readers being released anytime soon, but knowing my luck.... I'm getting excited
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #17
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, it's done

Now to wait for arrival.
Advert
Old 06-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #18
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
My Paperwhite 4 is not buggy at all. You might want to reset it.
I have been having software issues of a variety with mine since Feb 2019. I have reset, made forum posts, posted elsewhere, searched the internet, but this device seems kind of cursed. I was originally in love with my Paperwhite 3, but jumped on an upgrade to the Paperwhite 4 when it was released because Waterproofing was my #1 wishlist need. Unfortunately I never bonded with this one nearly as much because my device's screen clarity was much less the the PW3 I owned. The PW3 now has developed some lighting issues at the bottom of the screen. I don't want to spend money buying another Paperwhite that's a current release since they've been out a few years, so hoping I love the Oasis as much as I originally loved my Pw3.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Okay, it's done

Now to wait for arrival.
If you can afford to wait, it might be worth your while to see if there are deals on the Oasis 3 come Prime Day. I think Amazon offered a $60 discount on it last year.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you can afford to wait, it might be worth your while to see if there are deals on the Oasis 3 come Prime Day. I think Amazon offered a $60 discount on it last year.
I'm too impatient and do not have prime on my account. I had thought of that, but not sure if it's a prime feature.
Advert
Old 06-30-2020, 04:32 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Okay, it's done

Now to wait for arrival.

A full REPORT is due 3 days after its arrival. Please remember to clearly enunciate your words, and try to look at the whole class when you speak, rather than just concentrating on one person. Finally, remember to go to the bathroom before you do your REPORT.

AND NO CHEWING GUM!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy the 2nd gen Oasis. The battery life is terrible, and the larger screen doesn't result in much increased text on the screen. I rarely use the buttons, especially in a quiet bedroom at night, as the clicking bugs me. The addition of 2 more lines of text and auto-rotation doesn't justify the much larger price for me.

As far as portability, the Paperwhite is better for me. I bought one last summer to take on a beach vacation, and it's become the one I take with me when I leave the house.

For me, the only real place the Oasis is better is because it has more LEDs.
I have to disagree with the larger screen. I like it. I hae a 6.8" screen with my H2O and I do not want to go back to a 6" screen. The larger screen just feels better when reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #23
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I have the PW4, Voyage and Oasis 2. I like the Voyage the best of the three. It has the best contrast and the portability and screen size just work the best for me. It's the one I use the most and travels with me just about everywhere. The Oasis 2 is very nice but I rarely use it. The metal back is not very pleasing to touch to me. The page turn buttons are great, though. The PW4 is the worst kindle Amazon has put out, in my opinion. The contrast is terrible. Very, very bad. I deeply regret trading in my PW3 for it. Sigh. Oh well. Hoping that the PW5 has better contrast so I can punt this PW4 into the ocean and replace it.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #24
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A full REPORT is due 3 days after its arrival. Please remember to clearly enunciate your words, and try to look at the whole class when you speak, rather than just concentrating on one person. Finally, remember to go to the bathroom before you do your REPORT.

AND NO CHEWING GUM!

If people went by my reviews on these products, I doubt any of them would ever sell.

Now I need to think of a name for this one. Hm
Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #25
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Now I need to think of a name for this one. Hm
Maybe thesaurus.com for some obscure similar word? Although it's slim pickings in what they give. Maybe something Arabic or Saharan.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:01 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just having a look on Amazon US and the Kobo Libra and the Oasis 3. The Oasis 3 is $77.71 more expensive and not $77.71 better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #27
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just having a look on Amazon US and the Kobo Libra and the Oasis 3. The Oasis 3 is $77.71 more expensive and not $77.71 better.
I had considered getting a Kobo, but ultimately decided not to for now. Nothing against the device, but I'm heavily immersed into the Amazon ecosystem, especially considering Kindle Unlimited, so think I would end up regretting making a Kobo my primary, pricier device for now.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #28
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Okay, it's done

Now to wait for arrival.
I wish you joy of your new device!

FWIW, I loved my Voyage until I got my Oasis 2. I found I much preferred the bigger screen plus my older eyes appreciated the fact that I could change the display size so that I can read menus and even the tiny "minutes left in chapter" at the bottom without reading glasses.

When I got the Oasis 3 it became my favorite because of the warm light. That one lives on my bedside table since I do most of my reading at night. The Oasis 2 is my downstairs e-reader and the PW4 is for commuting and traveling ... not that I've been doing much of either in the past 3 months!
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I wish you joy of your new device!

FWIW, I loved my Voyage until I got my Oasis 2. I found I much preferred the bigger screen plus my older eyes appreciated the fact that I could change the display size so that I can read menus and even the tiny "minutes left in chapter" at the bottom without reading glasses.

When I got the Oasis 3 it became my favorite because of the warm light. That one lives on my bedside table since I do most of my reading at night. The Oasis 2 is my downstairs e-reader and the PW4 is for commuting and traveling ... not that I've been doing much of either in the past 3 months!
Thanks Elspeth, gives me something new to look forward to. I am curious if I can get used to the warm lighting, will try it. I have trouble falling asleep at night in general. I have never used buttons or a larger screen on e-ink so it will be three new experiences at least.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #30
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Curious, why do you rank the Forma below the PW4?
Front light uniformity.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote