Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2023, 05:37 PM   #16
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 5, Kobo Scribe, Kindle app on iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...On the last page of Developer options, you will see a Factory reset your eReader. This will reset back to factory firmware and out of the box settings. In contrast, the Device information's factory reset which does not wipe back to factory firmware and simply removes the user setup.
Ah - that's helpful. I assume the Device info's factory reset (which I've done several times) was adequate... I'll try going through Developer options. Thanks.
PlatinumWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:41 PM   #17
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast
PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PlatinumWarlock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. I had to buy a hub for the Libra H2O (which used micro-USB) to connect it to a USB-C port on my computer. It would not connect otherwise. Both my Sage and Libra 2 connect fine using an USB-C/USB-C cable bought from Amazon. I don't use the cables that came with them.
Huh. Interesting. Since the Sage uses USB-C, I figured it would love the Mac. I'll see about a hub.
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 05:43 PM   #18
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast

BTW - I apologize for hijacking this thread, which was supposed to be about which 8" reader to buy - I meant to just comment as an aside that my Sage wasn't (yet) the best 8" for me. I appreciate all the feedback and will switch to the right place with more issues.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:44 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Thread drift is a pretty common happening on MobileRead. Perhaps a moderator will do us the favour of moving the relevant messages to a new thread in the Kobo forum?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 02:30 AM   #20
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thread drift is a pretty common happening on MobileRead. Perhaps a moderator will do us the favour of moving the relevant messages to a new thread in the Kobo forum?
It is! And at first I was a bit miffed about it, only later to realize it's most appropriate in the the context of the forum, to have thread sub-plots. I actually find it somewhat amusing now.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #21
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast

Well... after many more attempts, including combinations of using a hub, not using a hub, trying different cables, doing factory resets (in dev mode), restarting the Mac, praying, doing a rain dance, burning incense, etc.... no joy. The only slight improvement was that, when I plugged the Sage into the USB hub the *first* time, I was able to tap "connect" on the Sage and it didn't freeze up - it said "connected and charging". But no sign of it on my Mac. And then I couldn't even recreate that, despite retrying all of the combinations again. It still is perfect with my Windows machine and on its own... but my Mac is my main computer (and before long will be my only computer), so I really need a device that will behave in the Mac environment. I'm going to return it and try another one, just because I like the Sage SO MUCH and really want to use it. So... fingers crossed.
Old 05-22-2023, 05:46 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If it works on Windows (or Linux) then it's a setting on your Mac.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:28 PM   #23
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Instead of just restarting your Mac, try shutting it down and then booting it again. That resets more of the hardware.

Another thing to try when you've shut down is - if the Mac has one - an SMC reset. This sometimes helps unconfuse hardware. SMC resets are only possible on some Macs, so you'll have to google for specific instructions for your Mac model.

Have you talked to Kobo support at all?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:49 PM   #24
PlatinumWarlock
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Instead of just restarting your Mac, try shutting it down and then booting it again. That resets more of the hardware.
Yes, actually did that - should have clarified.

Quote:
Another thing to try when you've shut down is - if the Mac has one - an SMC reset. This sometimes helps unconfuse hardware. SMC resets are only possible on some Macs, so you'll have to google for specific instructions for your Mac model.

Have you talked to Kobo support at all?
Hmmm… didn’t know about SMC resets – I’ll look into that. And no, I haven’t talked to Kobo support yet, but that’s on the list too. 😀
Old 05-22-2023, 01:56 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Give Apple support a call as it's a Mac issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:58 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This is a longshot, but maybe you could try enabling automatic USB mode? Connect the Sage to the PC that works, then edit Kobo eReader.conf to add:

Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
AutoUsbGadget=true
and then save it. This will bypass the USB prompt and automatically connect when you plug the Sage in. Now try on the Mac again to see if you can get farther now that it won't freeze on the USB prompt.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:01 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This is a longshot, but maybe you could try enabling automatic USB mode? Connect the Sage to the PC that works, then edit Kobo eReader.conf to add:

Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
AutoUsbGadget=true
and then save it. This will bypass the USB prompt and automatically connect when you plug the Sage in. Now try on the Mac again to see if you can get farther now that it won't freeze on the USB prompt.
There should be no reason to need this. If it's because of the USB port, then the USB port is broken. If it's not the USB port then it's a MacOS problem.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-22-2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:01 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There should be no reason to need this. If it's because of the USB port, then it's broken. If it's not the USB port then it's a MacOS problem.
Jon, while I tend to agree that it is unlikely to help, it will take a few seconds and just might help. If it doesn't, it does add another data point to the issue between the Sage and the Mac.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:21 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What I want to know is why is it Apple feels it's a good idea to do whatever it takes to break MacOS?
Old 05-23-2023, 12:12 AM   #30
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Is it possible to access the MacOS kernel logs?
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote