Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
sanjosanjo
sanjosanjo began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T3
Moving on from SunriseXP, Palm OS

Hello all. I've been a long time user of SunriseXP to grab webpages and then subsequently reading them on my Palm Tungsten T3 with the plucker viewer program. I am eternally grateful to Laurens for all his work on Sunrise to allow me to do that.

But now it's time to upgrade. I bought an iPod touch (2nd generation) and I'm sorely missing the capability that I had with with my Palm. For a couple weeks I've been trying to find a program to read my Sunrise documents, to no avail. Can anybody recommend a pair of equivalent programs that would 1) pull pages from the web and 2) allow me to view them on an iPod touch?

I found a couple ebook readers for the iPod touch (such as Stanza and eReader), but they don't seem applicable for reading offline websites with hyperlinks. They seem more geared toward reading a single batch of text.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As this part of the forum is an archive, maybe you would be more successful by posting it elsewhere (or by asking a moderator to move it), for instance in E-Book Software > Reading Software, and mentioning Plucker as well as Sunrise.

As for a beginning of reply, maybe Calibre would allow you to retrieve the web pages and output them in a format you could reach on your device.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the Plucker source code there is a program called “explode”. When you run it on a Plucker ebook, it “explodes” the book into HTML and images. This isn't easy to get for Windows, but it may be part of a Plucker viewer for Windows (that is also hard to get). The links to binaries no longer works, but see Plucker -> Reader.

It seems a bit strange to use Sunrise to "pluck" web pages and then explode the result to recreate HTML, however this isn't the original HTML but a simplified Plucker variant. If you can get this to work, then Calibre can convert to ePub for Stanza, or perhaps the plucker HTML (if it is a single file - I'm not sure if it is or not) will be readable directly by Stanza. If someone has a Python version of plucker's explode then plucker could probably easily be added to Calibre's any2epub.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
look at the bookit firefox extension. It can produce LRF or EPUB from websites (using calibre as the backend)
Old 11-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Exclamation New Framework

Not that this is going to help you for now, but I'm currently designing a prototype for a new framework for creating your own, custom newspaper by aggregating news from multiple sources. The focus lies more on applying "collective intelligence" algorithms, rather than follow rigid RSS- or web site-based structure of the previous applications. We'll have to see how things work out, though, since I'm not even sure if such a goal is actually feasible, given time constraints. Like you, I'm sorely missing my daily dose of news. (Don't have a working Palm device anymore.)

The output format will be fully decoupled from the actual aggregation process. My primary interest lies in supporting ePub, but it should be possible to hook up any output format.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What data would the "collective intelligence" algorithms use to decide which articles to include?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Text analysis. Extracting normalized terms from news items and then classifying items by similar terms.