Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
joglaze
joglaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kobo
Book title is too small

I'm an old lady and cannot find how to increase the column for the book title. It is only about 5 characters long and I need to know how to increase this. Thank you for any help.
joglaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Angel Crawford
Enthusiast
Angel Crawford began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3
Go with the mouse between the title and the next column. Your mouse pointer should change from an arrow to the two way arrow. Hold the left mouse button and drag to the right. For the right spot, see the image =)

Hopefully that's understandable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-03-15 19-56-57.png
Views:	153
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	162828  
Angel Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Crawford View Post
Go with the mouse between the title and the next column. Your mouse pointer should change from an arrow to the two way arrow. Hold the left mouse button and drag to the right. For the right spot, see the image =)

Hopefully that's understandable.
This is STANDARD functionality (Window, Linux) for most tabular data, eg. Explorer, spread sheets and not limited to Calibre. The 'hot' spot is between column headers and you will see the change to thos arrows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
... instead of dragging when over the separator bar (double arrow cursor visible) you can also double-click to have the column automatically resize to fit the widest entry in the list. This, again, is standard functionality on all major modern OSs, including macOS as well as the previously mentioned Windows & Linus.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
... instead of dragging when over the separator bar (double arrow cursor visible) you can also double-click to have the column automatically resize to fit the widest entry in the list. This, again, is standard functionality on all major modern OSs, including macOS as well as the previously mentioned Windows & Linus.
On Windows at least, double clicking a header will also make it the sort column, and if the header name is longer than the longest value then the header name will get lopped off at both ends.

I think I raised this when I first started using calibre, my preference would be a tweak to disable left click on book list headers and make column width adjustment a right click option. I think the response was: these behaviours are a feature of Qt that cannot be disabled.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On Windows at least, double clicking a header will make it the sort column, and if the header name is longer than the longest value then the header name will get lopped off at both ends.

I think I raised this when I first started using calibre, my preference would be a tweak to disable left click on book list headers and make column width adjustment a right click option. I think the response was: these behaviours are a feature of Qt that cannot be disabled.

BR
Clicking on the header itself will indeed make it the sort column. It is double-clicking on the column divider (double ended arrow cursor active) that automatically adjusts the column width to the longest line
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Glad we clarified that.

Because I can't use a pointing device very effectively (my hands have lost their fine motor skills due to injury), I find it hard to even get the divider cursor let alone double click when I do. I rely on View Manager to keep the book list on a tight leash - when it gets out of shape, I hit the context menu key, and select the View I want

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:22 AM   #8
joglaze
joglaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kobo
Thank all of you so very much

I cannot believe it was that easy. Due to severe medical problems, the brain doesn't work so very well anymore. You have all just made day a very happy one. Thank you again.
joglaze is offline   Reply With Quote