Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Hudaman
Hudaman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Amazing :-)
Thank you for the work.

The reason I got onto this is because I have been using Calibre for a few years and loving it. So I decided to use it as well for my Vintage games collection as well as a front to start my emulators...

I have a couple more questions concerning covers and files using extension to open a book.
Should I start a new thread?
Hudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudaman View Post
I have a couple more questions concerning covers and files using extension to open a book.
Should I start a new thread?
Yes, single topic threads are much preferred.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 03:45 AM   #18
Hudaman

Thanks for adding it to the latest version.
I am finding an issue, which might be related to a previous issue.
I put the .jpg in the book folder and the URL is .\image.jpg
It works.
Now if I change the book name, Calibre will change the book's folder name as well but the image disappears which it shouldn't as it is relative.
If I change the name back, it reappears.
If instead I deleted the image and added it again, the URL that appears when I click on the image uses the old Folder which does not exist anymore and the image appears. Is there an image memory somewhere?

I think it is related to a previous issue which was:
If I entered an image and it was to big, I would delete, fiddle with the image and enter again. The image in my folder was smaller but the one in Calibre would remain as big as before (which file did not exist anymore).
The only way for Calibre to take the new sized image was to change the file name.

Is that the normal behaviour or am I missing something?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks for adding it to the latest version.
I am finding an issue, which might be related to a previous issue.
I put the .jpg in the book folder and the URL is .\image.jpg
It works.
Now if I change the book name, Calibre will change the book's folder name as well but the image disappears which it shouldn't as it is relative.
If I change the name back, it reappears.
If the book moves to a new folder because you changed author or title calibre is unaware of the image you manually added to the folder and only moves the items in its database. So the image you placed in the folder was left behind in the original folder. This is expected.

If you open edit metadata you can add one jpg and/or one png to the database by dragging the image to the book format area, the window where the epub or pdf already exists (see attached). By adding it this way the database is aware and if the book title or author changes the images will change to the new folder too.

If you need more than one image of any type I'm unsure how to handle it and will let someone else address that question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	162934  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-21-2018 at 05:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #20
Hudaman

You are correct, the issue is that renaming the book deletes everything in the folder bad the cover and the metadata.
So now, relative paths in the comments area work great with the only limit being the renaming of books if the extra files are inside the book folder.

Is there a way to not have the book folder keep all of its files when renamed from Calibre?
That would be a great future fix/add to Calibre
Thanks
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply add the extra files as book formats as doctorOhh described and they will be kept.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Hudaman - if you need to add multiple images to a book record you could put them into a comic book format (CBZ or CBR) and add that to the book, assuming of course the actual books are not themselves comics.

If the books themselves are CBR or CBZ, then you could put the extra images into a multi-image TIFF and add it to the book, in which case you'll need to set a tweak to make calibre treat the TIFF files as a book format rather than a cover image, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	162949

Even though its a bit 'trickier' I prefer the latter; if I see a TIFF format alongside ebook formats (EPUB, PDF, DOCX etc) I know immediately it contains supplementary images, whereas if I saw a CBZ I might wonder if its a comic book version of the actual book.

BR
Old 03-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
Hudaman

That is great thanks BetterRed.
As there aren't any books but games, the format won't be an issue. The extra images are for content, manuals, disks, cassettes, back of the box and screenshots.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:55 AM   #24
Hudaman

I have been using the relative path now and here are the few issues remaining to make it perfect instead of great :-)
I have attached a picture at the bottom to show what I am trying to get.

Adding the pictures as books does not work for me as the pictures remain hidden. Right now they all go in comments and the files placed outside of the book folder.
The issue there is the pictures don't have an auto-sizing as in the cover. I manually make the pictures smaller but then it makes zooming in to read any of the info (back cover ect) unreadable.

Is there a plugin that would allow the auto-resizing?

I am also using Batch files to start different programs and manuals linked to the games I enter. Is thee a plugin as well that would allow to have names instead of extension in the book area? That would allow multiple entries with knowledge on which is which.
I am sure this would also be useful for books as there might be many versions of the same book to avoid separate entries.

Thank you

I was wanting to add a screenshot but I am not sure how so it will be for next time.
Thanks again
Old 04-06-2018, 06:45 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I have been using the relative path now and here are the few issues remaining to make it perfect instead of great :-)
I have attached a picture at the bottom to show what I am trying to get.

Adding the pictures as books does not work for me as the pictures remain hidden. Right now they all go in comments and the files placed outside of the book folder.
The issue there is the pictures don't have an auto-sizing as in the cover. I manually make the pictures smaller but then it makes zooming in to read any of the info (back cover ect) unreadable.

Is there a plugin that would allow the auto-resizing?
Not to my knowledge. I have a vague memory of someone suggesting Comments can contain javascript, maybe something could be done with it to resize images and/or present them as a larger overlay.

Have a look at the Media File Importer plugin, I've never felt any need to install it, but it might be relevant to your scenario. The developer, DaltonST, is active and amenable to enhancing his plugins.

Quote:
I am also using Batch files to start different programs and manuals linked to the games I enter. Is there a plugin as well that would allow to have names instead of extension in the book area? That would allow multiple entries with knowledge on which is which. I am sure this would also be useful for books as there might be many versions of the same book to avoid separate entries.
Not sure I fully understand - a picture might help

Nothing comes to mind. The issue of having different editions (perhaps in different languages) of the same book in the same format comes up occasionally. If you search for "supplementary" in the Calibre.Library Management subforum you will find some ideas.

Quote:
I was wanting to add a screenshot but I am not sure how so it will be for next time.
In Advanced Mode click the paper clip icon in the top toolbar, or scroll down and press the "Manage Attachments" button.

BR