Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Iphone 4
ADE woes

Wasn't quite sure where to post this as I didn't see a forum for ADE.
I am having the dreaded "Loan token not found" error when trying to open books from ADE on my Nook Glowlight via Calibre. (Win10, ADE 4.5 and have tried both the latest version of Calibre and versions 4.0 and 2.0). I am able to open the books in ADE and read them there. Now here's where it gets interesting.

If I use my other laptop running Win 10, Calibre 2.0 and ADE 4.0, the books are able to be opened on the Nook with no error message.

I have uninstalled the latest versions of both ADE and Calibre and installed previous versions, de-authorized and reauthorized both ADE and my Nook, deleted the digital editions files from the nook via file explorer, deleted the epub files and re-downloaded, downloaded new (not previously downloaded) books, tried running ADE in compatibility mode for Win 8, etc. (Everything a search for "loan token not found" suggested). Both computers are authorized in ADE with the same ID and password.

Can anyone offer any input? I don't understand why it works on one machine and not on another with the exact same software?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've been trying to figure this out for days and it's driving me crazy.

Last edited by lorraineg57; 05-23-2017 at 11:17 AM.
lorraineg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Do you have the Plugins set up for Calbire to strip the DRM from your ADE ebooks?
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
lorraineg57
Enthusiast
lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorraineg57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would that cause an issue? Both computers are running the same versions of windows, same versions of calibre, same plug-ins....

The only thing I can think of is that the one I'm having an issue with is a two-in-one laptop but I don't know why that would matter either. Very frustrating...
Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Have you tried removing Calibre from the equation and just transfering the books direct from ADE to the ereader? AFAIK uninstalling and re-installing Calibre doesn't reset its configuration.

Calibre is able to transfer purchased DRM books (without removing the DRM), but I don't think it can transfer borrowed books (without removing the DRM), perhaps because the borrowed books need some sort of interaction between ADE and the ereader to set the expiry date.

If you had one version of Calibre set up with plugins to strip DRM and the other not, then that could explain why one was able to transfer borrowed books and the other couldn't.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

To say this is frustrating would be the understatement of the century. Yesterday, I uninstalled both Calibre and ADE. Downgraded to ADE 3.0 because I read somewhere that it should work better with an "older Nook" (I have the Glowlight, second version). I also redownloaded an older version of Calibre (2.2) because that is what is on my other laptop which I've had no issues with. I also used the 32 bit version because I also read somewhere that the 64 bit version may cause issues.

Voila! Success! Thought I was good to go.

Got up this morning borrowed a couple more books which open fine in ADE, transferred to Calibre and Nook and got "This book has been returned. Loan not on record." I have changed nothing since it was working yesterday. I've not de-authorized/re-authorized anything....The book will work if I load to my Nook directly through ADE so is the issue within Calibre?

This is driving me crazy.

Last edited by lorraineg57; 05-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't want ADE 3.0. What you want is ADE 2.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #7
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

Really? That's weird because I have ADE 4.0 on the other laptop and it works perfectly?

Another odd thing: When I try returning books on the non-functioning laptop, I get a bad loan error. However, if I go to the laptop with 4.0, I'm able to return with no issues. I'm going to try the version you recommended and see what happens.

Thanks for the input. I could just do everything on the functioning laptop but it's just like a puzzle to figure out, can't just let it go....hehe....
Old 06-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The main reason why MobileReader's tend to hang on to the 2.0.1 version is that in the newer versions, Adobe included the possibility for book sellers to use an updated version of the content server which will deliver books via a different DRM scheme (meaning it hasn't been hacked yet).

I don't think anyone's come across anyone using the new server, which is why the 3.0 and 4.0 versions still work with the DRM removal tools. But the potential is there with the newer versions, so people have been sticking with the 2.0.1 versions of Adobe Digital Editions. Took a bit of digging, but I found the old post where the potential DRM scheme was first mentioned:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231939
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The main reason why MobileReader's tend to hang on to the 2.0.1 version is that in the newer versions, Adobe included the possibility for book sellers to use an updated version of the content server which will deliver books via a different DRM scheme (meaning it hasn't been hacked yet).

I don't think anyone's come across anyone using the new server, which is why the 3.0 and 4.0 versions still work with the DRM removal tools. But the potential is there with the newer versions, so people have been sticking with the 2.0.1 versions of Adobe Digital Editions. Took a bit of digging, but I found the old post where the potential DRM scheme was first mentioned:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231939
One other issue. If you do get the new DRM, there's a chance depending on the Reader or app being used that the ePub will be unable to be read because the Reader and/or app doesn't understand the new DRM. So that is yet another reason to stick with ADE 2.0.1.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
One of the local libraries which is not part of the provincial Library2Go consortium does use the new ADEPT DRM. I could read the books on my PC but when I transferred them to my Kobo ereader, no joy. Dropped back to ADE 2.0.1 and all seems happy again. Another reminder that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good idea.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That shouldn't be the new DRM causing the issue if dropping back to 2.0.1 makes it work (I don't think the new DRM should prevent it from working on Kobo either). As I understand it, with the new DRM once you download it you're stuck with the new version for that file which (along with the fact that it's not currently crackable) is why people have issues with newer versions of ADE..
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That shouldn't be the new DRM causing the issue if dropping back to 2.0.1 makes it work (I don't think the new DRM should prevent it from working on Kobo either). As I understand it, with the new DRM once you download it you're stuck with the new version for that file which (along with the fact that it's not currently crackable) is why people have issues with newer versions of ADE..
And why would it not be the new DRM? Of course it is the new DRM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure I tried 2.0 with no success because it's still on this laptop. I've tried so many combinations of different versions of Calibre and ADE, I don't know what all I've tried. �� I still get "loan token not found". That was last week. I ended up just using the other laptop since the ADE there (4.0) and Calibre (2.2?) works perfectly. Also works on this one if it's a direct ADE to Nook....

Now I'm going to have to go get another book and try again....
Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

2.0 is not 2.0.1 do please try 2.0.1 or you'll end up (eventually) with eBooks you cannot read other then with the computer. Oh and when you do try ADE 2.0.1, empty the Adobe Digital Editions directory because that could cause problems if it's not empty.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
lorraineg57
Enthusiast

No luck there either, "loan token not found".��