Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
goolie
goolie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Import problems

I'm trying to build a library using Calibre and am having a couple of problems.

I have a number of books in multiple formats -epub, mobi and pdf - so I placed them (one of each) in individual folders named for the book.

When I import them, each reports as corrupt and unreadable even though they each open fine form the portable drive.

Any ideas?

Cheers
goolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre makes no changes to files on import (they are byte for byte copies) unless you have installed a third party plugin such as the DRM removal plugin.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
goolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre makes no changes to files on import (they are byte for byte copies) unless you have installed a third party plugin such as the DRM removal plugin.
I understand that is the intention, but not what I'm seeing. I have a clean install of Calibre.

Any ideas where to look?
Old 06-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolie View Post
I understand that is the intention, but not what I'm seeing. I have a clean install of Calibre.

Any ideas where to look?
By 'Clean Install' do you mean this is the first install on this system EVER?

Calibre Configuration folder (where Settings and PI reside) Survives uninstalls
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not an intention, it is a fact. Read the source code for yourself. The *only* way this can happen is if

1) You have a third party plugin installed
2) The original files are already corrupted
3) The hard disk your calibre library is on is failing
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
goolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
By 'Clean Install' do you mean this is the first install on this system EVER?

Calibre Configuration folder (where Settings and PI reside) Survives uninstalls
Yes, completely new. Updated today to the 2.60.0 release. I don't believe I added any plugins. I'm trying to import a file structure that has multiple versions (pub, mobi, and pdf) so i created the structure you can see in the screen shot below (top). This WAS on a separate portable drive plugged in via USB. I copied the whole library structure to the desktop, to try and remove that as a possible problem.

I get the same problem. When I import using 'Add Books, (One book per directory) I get the result you see in the screenshot, lower window.

I get the error seen in the other screenshot: I can open the books in the source folders with no problems.

I understand the author's (what I read as) frustration: equally, all I (believe) I'm doing is using the 'Add Books' option. If there is something that I am naively doing it would help me to know.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 3.13.36 PM.png
Views:	173
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	149766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 3.18.32 PM.png
Views:	168
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	149767  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

The book name (title) begins with a _

Maybe that is not expected
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The copy in the calibre library has shrunk from 8.3 MB to 4 KB.
That is very not normal. calibre is not doing it, though, so you will have to find out what is.

It *could* be a failing hard drive on your Mac.
Or possibly some other program is interfering with calibre. Perhaps, messing around with the temporary folder when calibre is staging the book to be added?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrupt file, import