Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
ghost68
ghost68 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
credit card info in DRM purchases

I bought my wife a Kindle 2 for a suprise and I am thinking about buying a jetBook Lite for me. I have a question for those of you that purchase from BN or any other DRM material. I've read a few posts that you use your credit card number to unlock the book to be able to read it. Is that done on the ereader or the computer? Does that info stay with the file? The reason I ask is that I'm not sure if I want to have an unsecure device that would have my credit card number on it if I were to lose it.

Ghost68
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Your credit card info is converted to a "hash", from which it is impossible to extract the original info, and this is what is stored on your device (and at the ebook store). The ebook store typically also keeps the name on the card and the last 4 digits on the "your account" web page, which is useful for remembering which card you used.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
One thing to keep in mind (if you don't "De-DRM" your eBooks), is that the downloaded
ebook file remains keyed to that particular Credit Card #. So if you end up wanting to
read the book on a different device or reinstall the book on a device that has been
updated, you have to use that same Credit Card #, even if you have a new card.
It can become a case of having files on your hard drive that unlock with old Credit
Cards, that you may not remember the #s of. You can have a new card's #s apply
to all the ebooks in your bookshelf on the purchase site. That would mean that you
need to re-download any of the old purchases to be able to unlock them, with the
new Credit Card #.

The current method of liberating .pdb has you use the proper Credit Card # in the
process of creating an HTML structure without DRM. You can then use Calibre to
render that into the format of your choice. (ePub is a good choice for the JBL)

So, if you want to be sure that you can always use the eBook you have paid for,
either store the real Credit Card # for that particular book, with the book -or-
De-DRM the eBook.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-23-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
ghost68
ghost68 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
So Ken

do you open the ebook on the computer to unlock and then use Calibre?

Ghost68
ghost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You de-drm the book on your computer and then using Calibre (which is on your computer too) you put it into the format you want. There are other tools as well as calibre you can use on your computer to edit the format of the de-drm book to the way you want it to look and these tools will also put it into the format you need.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Depending on your local laws, it could be a violation to remove the DRM.

For that reason most sites like this prohibit any posting that might be taken
as providing material support to an illegal act.

You will have to find a program that can convert an "ereader" file 2 the "html"
file structure, on your own. You might try a Google search.

Caliber is one of the tools that has its own forum here, there are download links
in that forum, if I recall correctly.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote