Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Cover for the DR1000

Hello,

having bought the DR1000, I consider buying a cover to protect this (using a simple map for the moment). Of course the two offerings from Irex, the Flip-over Cover and the Luxury Leather Cover spring to my mind. As the Luxury Cover looks big and heavy my preference is for the Flip-over Cover but I still have some questions before I buy either of one.
  1. In one of the online shops, the description of the Flip-Over cover protects the back of the reader against scratches, probably this is a error, but just to be sure, does the Flip-Over cover protects the back and more important the glass front of the reader?
  2. What about the stylus, as far as I know the stylus must be in the reader to protect battery power, can you easily remove the stylus from the reader if it is stored inside the reader when the reader is stored in the cover (luxury or flip-over), or must you store it somewhere on the cover itself?
  3. Would someone be so kind to post some photos of the flip-over with the cover open/closed. I have found pictures of the luxury cover open/closed. But for the flip-over, the only picture on the website from irex is (I think) closed.
  4. If someone has a good alternative, I would of course also interested to hear about that.

Thanks a lot in advance

Mertens Marc
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
I do without

I really like the fact that the DR1000 is light.
So, I usually use it without a flip cover. Transporting, I make sure the screen is against a soft flat firm surface. Or, I put the reader in a soft cloth bag.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
I'm carrying my DR in a soft bag that I bought from ereaderoutfitters (neoprene case). Though that bag is originally for small laptop, it fits quietely well with my DR. It doesn't offer good protection though..
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Mertens View Post
What about the stylus, as far as I know the stylus must be in the reader to protect battery power
On the DR1000, there is no power saving when the stylus is in its slot. This was the case on the iLiad, but the consensus seems to be that the power saving from this is minimal.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I have the flip cover & it is excellent. It protects the back & front with elasticated holders for additional pen(s). There is space for some SD cards, a credit card/business card & an area where you could store some paper. It is easy to use with the DR in-situ but does add to the weight.

It should certainly protect the screen as the front is very "stiff". There are already photos in the forum if you look at the very early posts & I think the irex website shows photos of it too.

I cannot comment on the other but there are other users who have it and those photos too are in the forum.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the flip cover and I think pthwaite summarises it nicely. I would certainly recommend this cover, especially over the leather one which is far too bulky in my opinion. I often like to take my DR1000S out of the cover for reading as it adds a bit of weight and thickness. It's nice that the DR1000S slips in and out of the cover easily. For protection of the DR1000S and carrying notes the flip cover is perfect.

To answer question 2 of yours, the cover makes it slightly harder to remove the stylus but not excessively so.

Photos are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	closed_top.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	23656   Click image for larger version

Name:	closed_side.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	23657   Click image for larger version

Name:	open_top.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	23658   Click image for larger version

Name:	open_side.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	23659  

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 02-15-2009 at 04:19 PM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Some photos of the luxury version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	23670   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	23671   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	23672  
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Having used both, I largely prefer the flip-over cover. Its stiffness protects the screen well while still keeping a compact size even incl. space for an extra pen. When I put it in my bag, I slip it into a generic 13.3" laptop neoprene sleeve for additional padding (in case of a drop).
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Marc Mertens
Mathematician
Marc Mertens began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Digital Reader
Thanks all for your replies and photos, I decided to go for the Flip-over

Thanks

Marc Mertens
Marc Mertens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another things is: our cat also loves the Flip-Over, as a tool for her "are my claws still sharp?" daily routine! So be warned, I can't get her off the cover, she ends up on it as soon as I turn my head away.
I'm aware this is very unlikely to help you, but just in case there are others out there with cats and DR1000Ss...

Best
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
If you have extrem worries about screen break, then consider this one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32820
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 AM   #12
hanche
Enthusiast
hanche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex reader 1000S
My wife sewed a nice cover for me. It has two pockets: One for the reader, and in the other I inserted a piece I cut off one of the two cardboards that came with the packaging. It is quite stick and stiff. I make sure to have the reader screen facing the cardboard, of course.
hanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
clothbot
clothbot began at the beginning.

Device: Hipster PDA, PRS-505, DR1000S
I got the flip-cover version and the cover works quite nicely as a rear leg to stand the reader up on my desk when I'm using it as a reference.

In my case there's no way for it to fall off the back (there's a wall in the way) so I'm not worried about that happening. It may not be stable in this configuration on all table tops.
clothbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
est_jor
Enthusiast
est_jor began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000s
I too got the flip-over cover and i think it´s great , very beautiful and protective for the DR . I read in the cover . As soon as I put my DR on the cover I never take it out of it .
est_jor is offline   Reply With Quote