Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
What is the size of the screen? Still 6"? The screen looks very small compared to the size of the whole unit.
It is the same screen size, but the device is wider and taller (and thinner). The Boy Genius Report has it right after all, see Amazon Kindle 2 info, photos leaked. Note that they say it comes with a leather pouch.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Still happy with my Sony 505 - but this is a big improvement over the original Kindle. I still don't like the idea of having a keyboard in my face when I'm reading, though. Now if that New York Times article about making Kindle books available beyond the Kindle proves to be accurate, that would be great - access to the Kindle store without needing a Kindle!
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Compare the new screen layout to the Kindle 1. This is the 4th largest font size. It looks like there will be more lines of text per page, due to a smaller spacing between lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle2_05.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	22761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle1_05.gif
Views:	860
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	22762  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
White. Or is it egg shell? Maybe bone? Cream? Wait, maybe I need to find Nate's poll from about a year ago.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I think it's definitely more attractive than the first Kindle and the slimness makes up for the bubbly look (SB Sarah and I call it Bubble Boy). On the downside, there isn't any light. I lust after it because I lust after all new tech items but I wouldn't sell my device to buy a new one.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Anyone know if the software is different/improved? If the screen is the same, I will probably stick with my K1... unless, of course, the software is spectacular.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Re: the pouch

I bought a Waterfield slipcase for my K1 and use it 90% of the time (over the M-edge case I bought and the original). The 10% is when I use the M-edge case with its spiffy light.

Wanted to add: I mention it because it's very handy carrying the K1 around the house or slipping into a tote. Handier than the bigger M-edge cover (though the M-edge cover is nice).

Last edited by Studio717; 02-06-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #23
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
I actually like the Kindle 1 better. They should fit a 8-inch screen into such a tall&wide case.

But still, depends on the specs, I might just buy one anyways...
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't care for it really. It's too long and thin, and too .... apple-ish. Nope, I like my Kindle 1.0.

Edit: I do hope some of the software improvements (like closer line spacing) show up on the K1.

Last edited by carld; 02-06-2009 at 09:00 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't care for it really. It's too long and thin, and too .... apple-ish. Nope, I like my Kindle 1.0.
It is VERY Apple-ish.

I'm still happy with my 505
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #26
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:

Edit: I do hope some of the software improvements (like closer line spacing) show up on the K1.
I love it. I'm into sleek. That's why it took so long to buy the Kindle I. I love thin since I have PRS-505, which I owned for 10 months before buying a Kindle. 3 months to late for me, I received the Kindle on November 1st but would have preferred Kindle II! With a nice thick Oberon cover, it will be perfect!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #27
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I love it. I'm into sleek. That's why it took so long to buy the Kindle I. I love thin since I have PRS-505, which I owned for 10 months before buying a Kindle. 3 months to late for me, I received the Kindle on November 1st but would have preferred Kindle II! With a nice thick Oberon cover, it will be perfect!
Yeah, a lot of people like the thin look and feel. I don't personally. I like the heft of my Kindle 1. To me it's very book-like. Every time I see a Kindle 2 photo I can't help thinking "iPod wannabe."

Of course, having said that, I'll probably start lusting after one once the glowing reviews start showing up and I'll turn into a total hypocrite.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #28
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
The design is a vast improvement over the kindle 1.0 imo. Now if they were to make it globally available I'd dig in to that much larger catalogue of books like there were no tomorrow.

Untill then I'm staying with the 505, which is a very very nice device.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #29
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people like the thin look and feel. I don't personally. I like the heft of my Kindle 1. To me it's very book-like. Every time I see a Kindle 2 photo I can't help thinking "iPod wannabe."

Of course, having said that, I'll probably start lusting after one once the glowing reviews start showing up and I'll turn into a total hypocrite.
Don't worry, I'll be the 1st to call you up on it!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #30
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I will try and buy one the second that it is available. If it is anything like the last launch it will sell out fast. I did send Jeff an email asking him if I ordered the old Kindle today would he send me the new one instead. When he gets back to me I will let you know the 411.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote